corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » What should i do?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What should i do?
Gary GSi

User status: Offline
   29th Jul 03 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A couple of months ago i spent £1400 on an engine rebuild for my GSi because it was using loads of oil.(see garage for spec).
I have now just been offered a very cheap good condition C20XE with Kent cams off a mate.
Do i buy the 2.0l and sell the GSi engine on.Or spend the money tuning the GSi lump, ie Mantzel powerbox etc?
Advice please
DangerousDave16v

29th Jul 03 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

first things first ,can you afford insurance on the 2.0L modded corsa?
Gary GSi

29th Jul 03 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes just. I am 20 with 2 years NC
antscorsa

29th Jul 03 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how much would u sell GSi engine for
DangerousDave16v

29th Jul 03 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its not gonna sound as good as yer GSI,but if its as fast as my mates mk2 Astra GTE,it'll be rampant. you need to consider the bigger picture,how long,realistically are you gonna keep the car after modding it?
Fear

29th Jul 03 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was thinking about doing a 2L conversion but one of the things that puts me off is selling it on!!!!

If yours is fully modded and therfore apeals to the young modder than is he/she gonna be able to afford the insurance........NO!!!!!!

The older modder will want the power and can insure it, but wont want the modded looks(not all of them just saying) and so would they buy it or something like the engine has come from.........YES!!!!!

I know its not about getting the money back but do you really want to spend what could be a very long time trying to sell you car in the future and maybe selling it for a lost less money than if it was how it is now!!!!!
Gary GSi

29th Jul 03 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would sell the GSi lump for about £500-600 its like a new engine all gaskets bearings and oil & water pumps were changed. Its got at least 100k left in it.
I will be keeping the car for at least 3 - 4 more years until i have payed off my bank loan.

[Edited on 29-07-2003 by Gary GSi]
Greasemonkey

29th Jul 03 at 21:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i am interested in your engine if you do sell it, keep me informed matey, consider it sold if you do get rid of it, my GSI need a re-build too
Gambit

30th Jul 03 at 08:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SXI CORSA
its not gonna sound as good as yer GSI,

how do u work that one out?
DangerousDave16v

30th Jul 03 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

everyone knows the red tops are famous for their torque not their raspy sound. i just reckon ecotecs sound great
Gary GSi

30th Jul 03 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine isnt an ecotec. Its a C16XE from the pre 94 GSi 109BHP standard.
Gary GSi

30th Jul 03 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A number of people have shown an interest in buying my current engine the C16XE should i choose to put a C20XE in so i will give you the full spec after my engine rebuild due to it drinking oil.
It had a rebore +0.5mm oversize new pistons, reground crank +0.25mm oversize new main and big end bearings, lightened and balanced crank and flywheel. Stage 2 ported & polished head - 1.0mm skimmed. 6 angle valve seat cut 16 new valve guides and valve stem oil seals, new cam belt kit with pullys and tensioners, new oil and water pumps and all new engine gaskets.
Its alot stronger and smoother now. No flat spots and it doesnt burn oil like it did before. Well worth the £1400 it cost for the rebuild.
calidus

31st Jul 03 at 08:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as someone said to me, it is ecotec, just does not have EGR crap
Gary GSi

31st Jul 03 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its not ecotec and the EGR shit is a waste of space.
Dan_Corsa

31st Jul 03 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CheekyCorsa
I was thinking about doing a 2L conversion but one of the things that puts me off is selling it on!!!!

If yours is fully modded and therfore apeals to the young modder than is he/she gonna be able to afford the insurance........NO!!!!!!

The older modder will want the power and can insure it, but wont want the modded looks(not all of them just saying) and so would they buy it or something like the engine has come from.........YES!!!!!

I know its not about getting the money back but do you really want to spend what could be a very long time trying to sell you car in the future and maybe selling it for a lost less money than if it was how it is now!!!!!

i agree
Gary GSi

31st Jul 03 at 20:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I will cross that bridge when i come to it. If not i will break the car and sell it as parts, in 3 or 4 years time.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » What should i do? 24 database queries in 0.0120199 seconds