corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » ***HELP WITH TAKING SUSPENSION APART!****

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author ***HELP WITH TAKING SUSPENSION APART!****
Geeza10328

User status: Offline
8th Nov 03 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm in the middle of takin the old (front) suspension apart so I can re-use the top parts of it, the fittings etc. I have compressed the springs but I can't undo the top nut? the piston rod just keeps turning! and I can't see how I can stop it doin it. I have the 18mm socket that fit fine over the nut at the top but how the hell am I supposed to stop the piston turning? And the nut at the top of the suspension is embedded down a bit so I can't get a spanner in?

How do I do it?

help!

cheers

Matt
vauxtillidie

8th Nov 03 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u need one of those spanners that bend at the end, im not sure wot there called but they exist and then u have to hold the rod too but even doin that took 2 ppl to do mine
Neshol

8th Nov 03 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Deep offset spanner get em anywhere
TOMAS

9th Nov 03 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nip the legs with the compressors still fitted to a garage with an airline. Take some thickish gloves or rags and get a mechanic to undo the nuts with a wizzy gun whilst you hold the topmounts steady with the rags around them to protect your hands from the fixed bolts that poke upwards. That will do it, the torque from the gun will shift them, much like how they can do wheels up whilst the wheels are off the ground
Kris TD

9th Nov 03 at 14:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u need to use a ring spanner of box spanner, then use a socket on the nut on the piston. its a right pain in the arse, took me about 5 hours to do my suspention the first time cos it was done up bloody tight. only took 1 1/2 hours second time though to do the lot.

New Poll