corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » University

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author University
Shauny9

User status: Offline
   1st Jan 04 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Has anyone gone to university and then decided that it wasnt for them and got a full time job?

At the moment im at the stage of decideding which route to follow, i am currently studying my first year of my degree, the only problem is that i just cannot be bothered (in all fairness) to work. ive completed a-levels, and now i feel the degree isnt all what i expected.

Has any1 had this same situation or can comment on other solutions.

This would of much help

thanks
Shaun
Tam the diesel man

1st Jan 04 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im in the same postion, taking time out of uni at the moment. deciding to go back next year and finish off my degree.
Shauny9

1st Jan 04 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

which year are you in?

Do you not think its bad though, i mean ive only done 3 months but tbh im just fed up of the work.
Tam the diesel man

1st Jan 04 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2nd year, would of been 3rd year this year. work is hard and all my mates say its even worse next year
but i miss the uni atmosphere, my mates etc
Shauny9

1st Jan 04 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well, i guess its probably easier for me, ive only been there 3 months. but im not sure on what to do..i mean i wanna job but is worth it as ive spent soo much time and money sortin it out>???
Tam the diesel man

1st Jan 04 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i been working since june 03, found it not as good as i thought and im not earning as much as i thought.
if i go back to uni i know i'll get a better job when i finish (hopefully)
Tom J
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

1st Jan 04 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont know whether to take a year out or not. Im in Y13 now, and didnt get predicted grades to uni i wanted. I can either take a year out and work full time, or go to a diff university and get my course over and done with. i dont know what to do
Joff

1st Jan 04 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did Uni.

I thought the work was boring but social life was great, plus opportunities on placement year were excellent and gave me a head start compared to others on my course that didn't go on placement and finished a year earlier.
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
1st Jan 04 at 23:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its hard work but then so is working for a living, you may regret leaving.
Trotty

1st Jan 04 at 23:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was accepted for my chosen course, and turned it down - still regret it at times TBH, mainly because it was a hard course to get on, and I know my job prospects would be better now...

THink long and hard is my only suggestion
Phil321

2nd Jan 04 at 11:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

First two years, do nothing, have a laugh, meet millions of new people, enjoy living away from home for the first time. Out every night, spend all ya cash on drink. Literally the best time of your life, don't even hardly have to worry about the work.

Third year, only out 5 nights a week Spend more time doing work. Really knuckle down around exam time.

Leave uni, get a very well paid job with excellent prospects.

You can now start your working life safe in the knowledge that you have had a wicked time at uni and lived life to the full.

You can only get away with this sort of behaviour when you are young so take the opportunity!
Mattb

2nd Jan 04 at 15:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Its hard work but then so is working for a living, you may regret leaving.

i left my motorsports engineering degree close to the end of the first year, and have never regreted it. i was told that things would be pretty basic the first few months to get everyone up to the same place (as some had joined fresh from a mechanics apprenticship and some people just didn't have a clue) we were also told before we started on an open day, that the course would be heavily based on practical work. well a year down the line, we were told we would never go in the workshop, mainly because now it was a class based course, and secondly because non of our tutors knew how to use the equipment, or had any experience in motorsports. also in the classes we had not studied any thing to do with motorsports (except regulations from the msa year book)
so i left the course and joined an apprenticship sceme at my local vw garage, coupled with the college courses i have to attend, i must admit, i enjoy very much and have learnt more in my six or so months there rhan i ever would have at uni. the only thing that leaves me bitter is the fact that my school never told be about apprenticeships, and i was expected to go do my a-levels and get degree in somthing.

If you are in the same situation as i was in, then find somthing else, and go and do it, don't waste more time and money on somthing you are not enjoying, or cannot see your self finishing with good enough grades to get a good job.
hope that kinda makes sense..
IntaCepta

2nd Jan 04 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

uni life is great,
its an experience not to be missed.

Work can be hard, but as long as u balance the time you have appropriately, its should be ok.

plus its only 3 years,
Mattb

2nd Jan 04 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine was one to definately be missed....
Ben
Banned

2nd Jan 04 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dint like school , but still went to 6th form , only reason i stuck it was bcoz of m8s , used to toss it off and go to pub all time and miss lessons , was a cunt but still passed em . i knew work was they way 4ward for me , just depends on what ur like
Ian
Site Administrator

2nd Jan 04 at 18:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats a new degree which doesn't sound particularly well established Matt. Anything that has been around for a few years won't have those problems.
Mattb

2nd Jan 04 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Thats a new degree which doesn't sound particularly well established Matt. Anything that has been around for a few years won't have those problems.

this is true, think we were the second lot to do it. but whoever was responsible for the setting up the course clearly didn't think it through properly. and i am sure my experience was a one of with regards to that. everyone else i know that has gone to uni have enjoyed it alot, and will have good jobs to go to when they finish.
i just think its a shame that my school/6th form did not make us aware of the other options that are available to people when they finish compulsory education, i could be on my final year of my apprenticeship if i did not do my a-levels!!, but i do not regret doing a-levels as i think they are a good thing to have under you're belt if all goes wrong!
Shauny9

3rd Jan 04 at 11:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers mattb, i do understand what you mean...at the moment it isnt al waht i expected, especialy the fact that im staying at home. This could be anohter factor why. Iam spending alot of money on uni and i feel its not giving me enough back. I mean ye iam learning things but its not particularly exciting or evening interesting at thet matter.

I mean i want a good job, but even without a degree, i could surely start at the bottom and work my way if i work hard at it, right?

anyway cheers for all the advice
Ian
Site Administrator

3rd Jan 04 at 11:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Shauny9
I mean i want a good job, but even without a degree, i could surely start at the bottom and work my way if i work hard at it, right?

And only get so far in some jobs. I know people who don't have them who do OK but I also know that mine has helped me out where moving up is concerned. If you're there already and only have a few years to go I'd say stay there.

If the reason not to stay is you can't be bothered to work - your words not mine! - then you'll be in no better position if you leave!
Shauny9

3rd Jan 04 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So Ian with the point about you will only get so far in some jobs, surely that cant be the case for every job....ive been told that some company's like to take on people and train them up.

I feel that i should of taken a year off...as ye its true i just dont want to work, lol.

I mean surely there is a chance of springing a job good with three a levels?
Phil321

3rd Jan 04 at 17:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mate, its hard enough to get a decent job with a good degree. Some of the jobs I applied for had 500 applications for each position. Alright, most of them are muppets and don't even get to interview, but its still so competitive. I know people on my degree, which is from one of the best finance schools in the country outside of Oxbridge who are struggling to find work at the moment.

Did you say you were living at home and travelling to uni? If so, thats where you are going wrong. Uni is all about moving out and living with new people, otherwise its just like another 3yrs at college!

I moved out even though I can get to uni in 15 minutes. Its perfect because i can go home for a bit if i need peace and quiet to do an essay or a good healthy meal!
Ian
Site Administrator

3rd Jan 04 at 20:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I stayed at home, you don't need the entire student lifestyle to get the most out of being there. It helps though, I did miss a slice of that side of things.

Regarding jobs, no like I say I do know people who don't have one. They've either brought technical skills to the job and kept on top of the game themselves or they've trained internally inside a company and gone that route.

Neither of which are very easy or guaranteed.

You will definately regret leaving at some point in your life. My question would be if the only reason is motivation, why are you not working on this rather than giving in! Seems a shame.
mickp

3rd Jan 04 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah i regret somtimes not going uni but i have achieved all my technical skills within a company so cant really complian
Shauny9

4th Jan 04 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well its not only motivation...its other things.

I feel it is possible to work hard and get a decent job though. so im just gonna work on it
Craig6682

4th Jan 04 at 20:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Shauny9
Has anyone gone to university and then decided that it wasnt for them and got a full time job?

At the moment im at the stage of decideding which route to follow, i am currently studying my first year of my degree, the only problem is that i just cannot be bothered (in all fairness) to work. ive completed a-levels, and now i feel the degree isnt all what i expected.

Has any1 had this same situation or can comment on other solutions.

This would of much help

thanks
Shaun

Stick at it m8. I was like this and still am. I got my HND last July just because i stuck at it

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » University 22 database queries in 0.0141280 seconds