corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » My Old Plate

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author My Old Plate
Pablo

User status: Offline
6th Jan 04 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So if insurance said I could have B4RVO Plate as 'they had no interest' then sold the car and by the time dvla processed it the insurance had sold it to a broker.........

What can I do bout it cos that aint my fault and they said i could have it???
broster
Premium Member

6th Jan 04 at 19:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not alot, all u can do is get in touch with ur insurers, do you have any letters from them saying you can keep the plate. or argue with them and try and get the money they made for it off them.

as regards ur signal, the plate is registered to the car not to the owner!

[Edited on 06-01-2004 by broster]
Pablo

6th Jan 04 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I must somewhere had a look can't find it But they defo said i could....!!
broster
Premium Member

6th Jan 04 at 19:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they wont listen if you just say "but you said i could have it...........!" so your only chance is to find the letters! they may have a copy of it on record, but good luck getting a copy of them!
Marc

6th Jan 04 at 19:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What right did they have to sell it though?
Marc

6th Jan 04 at 19:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did you have that plate because you had a Bravo, and if so are you getting another?!
broster
Premium Member

6th Jan 04 at 19:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 16vmarc
What right did they have to sell it though?

they payed out for the car, so in theory they own the whole car including any number plates as they are part of the car, u shud get extra insurance cover for personalised plates if they are worth anything!
Pablo

6th Jan 04 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shhhhhhh you, im gonna have it back grrrrrrrrr its mine all mine
Ian
Site Administrator

6th Jan 04 at 23:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Paul, I wrote my first car off when the L4FFN plate was on it, it was taken away with those plates on by the insurers to be assessed. They sent me paperwork telling me it was written off and I just filled in that I wanted to retain the plate and they processed it.

They had no legal claim on it as far as I know - it only registers the car and belongs to the keeper. Its not part of the car as such.
Ian
Site Administrator

6th Jan 04 at 23:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by broster
u shud get extra insurance cover for personalised plates if they are worth anything!

Not at all - you declare it of course as the policy details are changed but it has no material value. You can't steal or damage it!
nickyboy01

6th Jan 04 at 23:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If your car is written off by insurers any registration mark assigned to the car becomes property of the insurance company in the same way the car does. Its like when you sell your car, once sold you cant then get the reg back.

You can write to them and try and get it back but they have no lawful obligation to let you have it.
Ian
Site Administrator

7th Jan 04 at 00:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was lucky then!

They must have procedure for this and give them back where possible, they'd surely piss a load of people off it not.
M2RTY

7th Jan 04 at 09:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
I was lucky then!

They must have procedure for this and give them back where possible, they'd surely piss a load of people off it not.

yep, plate belongs to car, just the same as if u sold the car with it on then tried to get the plate back

mate of mine had to pay extra 33 quid to insure his plate, or give him the "right" to claim it back if he wrote his car off and it was classed as a modification
Pablo

7th Jan 04 at 09:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmm well will call insurance later tonight!
Tom

7th Jan 04 at 10:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

don't sound too hopeful especially if it's already been sold.
broster
Premium Member

7th Jan 04 at 10:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian

Not at all - you declare it of course as the policy details are changed but it has no material value. You can't steal or damage it!

not true, if ur car is stolen your plate is also stolen, it belongs to the car, trust me my dads looked into it loads as he has private plates on his cars. also my mate stupidly sold his car with the plate on and the new owner sold it. its legit to sell it.
Kerry

7th Jan 04 at 10:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its crap

its just like naming a house "randomness" its stil gonna be 26 blah blah blah at the end of the day.... a personal plate is like naming the car and u are tellin insurance the name so it can be identifyed to u

i think if it gets written off or wotever the original reg should be wots written off and the personal one given back

so if a car is written off with a personal reg on wot happens to the original reg?? can u ask for that instead
broster
Premium Member

7th Jan 04 at 10:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kerry

its just like naming a house "randomness" its stil gonna be 26 blah blah blah at the end of the day

my parents house has no number, just a name! lol, bit off topic i no!
Kerry

7th Jan 04 at 10:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh but if u move u take the name with u dont u
Paul H

7th Jan 04 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you must be able to keep the plate.what about these loaded tw*ts that spend like 25k on a plate you wouldn't want to loose that
Ian
Site Administrator

7th Jan 04 at 10:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It is part of the cars identity but I didn't consider the insurance company to have legal claim. They probably do, as any new owner would. Worth checking in future.
Kerry

7th Jan 04 at 10:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

insurance companys always have people by the danglys
Paul H

7th Jan 04 at 11:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
It is part of the cars identity but I didn't consider the insurance company to have legal claim. They probably do, as any new owner would. Worth checking in future.
but when you look old the dvla site it says you can ask for the original plate to be held on the system in case you wish to take off the personal plate

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » My Old Plate 22 database queries in 0.1615450 seconds