corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » ATTACHING AMP

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author ATTACHING AMP
jmucorsasport

User status: Offline
11th Jan 04 at 21:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would ideally like to screw my Magnat trax amp to my rear seat.. What sort of screws would i need/what is the best way to do it.. or is it better screwing it to the sub box i have 2x12 JL audio WO's
baza31

12th Jan 04 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

corkscrew!
Stingray

12th Jan 04 at 23:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is nebody gonna help him out?
Melville

13th Jan 04 at 09:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you wanna attach it to the rear seats you will have to drill small pilot holes where the screws are doing to go as the back of the seats are metal and you require self tappers. Go to B&Q and there will a whole section of self tapping screws.

If you wanna connect it to the box then use self tappers as well
thekemp

13th Jan 04 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

drill a pilot hole in the back the seat first, as self tappers will have trouble screwing into metal
Melville

13th Jan 04 at 14:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

didnt I just say that??
thekemp

13th Jan 04 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sorry melville dyslexia kicking in!
jmucorsasport

13th Jan 04 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers guys i drilled some pilot holes in the back of the sub box an put it on there it's out of the way so all u can see are the subs i'll try an get some pics soon
the_legend_of_yrag

13th Jan 04 at 20:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i wana put my amp some where different but so it's in view Currently got two subs diaganoly to each other with the amp in front, but not alot of room in there now!!!
jmucorsasport

14th Jan 04 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right jus got my system workin an didn't realise that where it says MAGNAT on the amp glows green but now can't see it coz it's on back of my sub box Ah well....

OK NEW TOPIC My amp is 600w 4 channel an i'm not sure if it's set up right coz one sub seems to be workin more than the other any ideas guys

Cheers
Dom

14th Jan 04 at 13:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

..i take it you have each of the subs a bridged channel? or have you wired them together?
Personally i would wire them together to make a 4ohm or 2ohm load and bridge the 4channel amp into 1 mono channel (should be possible) and connect the subs to that What model of amp is it anyways?
jmucorsasport

14th Jan 04 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a Magnat Traxx 600, or Traxx Magnat whichever way it is
jmucorsasport

14th Jan 04 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh an the subs arent wired together, cheers
IntaCepta

15th Jan 04 at 00:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i always thought it ws bad practise to mount the amp directly on the sub box?

something about the amp components inertia with the vibrations??
Richie

15th Jan 04 at 01:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats rubbish matey.
IntaCepta

15th Jan 04 at 23:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Amplifier mounting:
DO NOT mount an amplifier on your subwoofer box. I know that there has been a great deal of discussion over mounting an amplifier to an enclosure and many people do it all of the time with no problems but those people probably build good enclosures from 3/4" (or thicker) MDF with extensive bracing. Most people (especially young impatient people) are too lazy to do that and build unbraced enclosures from 5/8 MDF. These enclosures will flex considerably more than a proper enclosure and will likely cause amplifier failure if the amp is mounted to the enclosure.
REASON:
When the woofer(s) moves in or out, the box flexes and therefore causes the sides of the box to vibrate. This vibration is transferred to the amplifier mounted to the box. All of the electrical components in the amplifier have mass. Inertia (an object in motion tends to stay in motion, an object at rest tends to stay at rest) tells them to stay at rest, the box vibration is trying to make them move. The energy from the box's vibration is transferred to the components through the electrical leads which are soldered into the circuit board. All of this will cause the components to break loose and therefore cause the amplifier to fail prematurely. Basically, the amplifier will commit suicide! :-) I'm not telling you this because someone told me it was bad. I've been repairing amplifiers since ~1985. Virtually every amplifier that's come into my shop with parts rattling around inside them have been mounted on the speaker box. It causes the legs of the semiconductors to break (which causes amplifier failure). It causes the capacitors to break off of the board (which can cause catastrophic amplifier failure). It causes solder joints to break on the semiconductors mounted to the heat sink. It causes transformer windings to grind into one another (which causes lots of smoke to pour out of your amplifier). People who repeatedly tell others to mount their amps on the speaker box because they've never had a problem remind me of people who drink and drive and say there's nothing wrong with it because they've never crashed their vehicle. Eventually, in both cases, problems will arise.

NOTE:
Mounting the amplifier on the enclosure also allows someone to steal BOTH your amps and speakers at the same time with no extra effort. It's bad enough to have one or the other stolen but losing amps and speakers (and anything else mounted to your speaker box) is really gonna suck.

http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/caraudio.htm
StuartyB

16th Jan 04 at 00:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

will screwing the amp 2 the back of the seats not mean the ppl in the back will get the screws in their back
IntaCepta

16th Jan 04 at 00:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol how long are ur screws?
theres a lot of cusioning there anyways.
they won't feel a thing, if they complain tell em the switch sides and stop being a baby
StuartyB

16th Jan 04 at 14:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers lol how long should the screws b jus thot they wud have 2 b pretty long 2 hold the amp??
Melville

16th Jan 04 at 14:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just make sure there a fair bit shorter than the seats ie an inch long or summit
jmucorsasport

16th Jan 04 at 17:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Box is a JL audio one no a botch job by an impatient kid
Stingray

20th Jan 04 at 19:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i put my amp on the bak of my seats using 1" screws and u cant feel em thru the seats

New Poll