corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Metallic Paint - respray / touch up?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Metallic Paint - respray / touch up?
C4RSA16V

User status: Offline
4th Mar 04 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got my '96 Sport in Smoke Grey Metallic, someone has kindly run a key down the passenger 1/4 panel! Some will polish out, tho most is down to the primer.

Can this be touched in or will it need a full panel respray? Come on paint peeps, I know ur out there!

Ta!
3CorsaMeal

4th Mar 04 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have a smoke grey corsa, and someone ran a brick down the bonnet...........was told i need panel sprayed and blended into the two wings......
Colour-Tec Coachworks

4th Mar 04 at 16:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what would happen is what we call a localised repair. The scratch would be flattened right back so that the paint suuround the scratch was at the same height as the scratch. Basically to remove the gouge of where the key had been and make the surface level.
The painter will gentle mist some paint ofer the flattened/sanded area... being carefully only to paint the repair area. By doing this, particles of paint will overspray onto the rest of the panel... thus blending in with the old colour All thats left to do is give it 2 coats of lacquer and abke it. Then it will prob get a quick de-nib and machine polish. All thats left to do is shake the bodyshop managers hand and say thanks

hope this helps
C4RSA16V

4th Mar 04 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats great, thanks for your help. would you have a rough idea of cost for this kinda job?
Colour-Tec Coachworks

4th Mar 04 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought i'd just add.
In some cases it is impossible to localise the repair as well as described above. For example... if the scratch was right at the top of your wing almost at the bonnet... then it would be impossible to do a perfect job without flicking some paint onto the bonnet.

Obviously this is the more expensive repair method. Your every day wee bodyshop will more than likely just quote yoy a price to paint complete panles as its less time and less complicated. But if you want the job done right, its worth paying the money and taking it to some where that will localise the repair and do a good job of it .

New Poll