corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Bigger wheels... slower speed/acceleration?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bigger wheels... slower speed/acceleration?
OpelCorsaC

User status: Offline
12th Apr 04 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it true that increasing size of wheels (from 14" to 16" for example) decrease the acceleration or speed (when starting from 0 mph)? I've also heard that when you change the wheel size, the speedometer gets no "real" reading on speed? Somebody told me that powersteering gets a little bit "harder" when increasing the wheels?

My Corsa C came with 14" wheels and I'm thinking on changing them to 16", but I would like to know what y'all think. Cheers!!
Gaz

12th Apr 04 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i went from 14 - 17 and noticed the difference no racing anymore

also ur speedo is out
i think if ur doing about 60 its acctually 64 -67 something like that
Siberia

12th Apr 04 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes your speedo will not give a acurate reading. alot of people told me my sterring would be dog heavy when i fit bigger wheels but i went for 145/70/r13 to 195/45/r16 and i think the steering is way lighter (no power steering though)

i could be wrong but i think accelleration will be slightly increase from like 0-20MPH but your top speed will be less.

all in all though there are so many benifits from bigger wheel they outway the bad things
OpelCorsaC

12th Apr 04 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That what I thought... I think that if it is "looks" what I searching for, is great to change wheels size, but that will be a "down" on performance, huh?
Red_SXi

12th Apr 04 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the rolling radius (the overall diameter of wheel and tyre) is the same as before you shouldn't notice your car being slower, or speedo innacuracy at all.
OpelCorsaC

12th Apr 04 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's a good point Red. I currently have 14" wheels with 185/60 R14 tires, can you advice what size of tire will I need to use if I change to 16"?
Red_SXi

12th Apr 04 at 20:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

195/45/16 is what is fitted to Sri's in this Country.
J da Silva

12th Apr 04 at 20:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my 18's are the same diameter that my 17's with the tyres on simply because my 17's had thicker tyres on and my 18's have thinner ones

New Poll