corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » why are....

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author why are....
chanel

User status: Offline
   4th May 04 at 08:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

americans called yanks??? i cant count the amount of times ive been called this - and still dont know why??
Tracey

4th May 04 at 09:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why are Americans called Yanks or Yankees?

The origin of Yankee has been the subject of much debate, but the most likely source is the Dutch name Janke, meaning “little Jan” or “little John,” a nickname that dates back to the 1680s. Perhaps because it was used as the name of pirates, the name Yankee came to be used as a term of contempt. It was used this way in the 1750s by General James Wolfe, the British general who secured British domination of North America by defeating the French at Quebec. The name may have been applied to New Britainers as an extension of an original use referring to Dutch settlers living along the Hudson River. Whatever the reason, Yankee is first recorded in 1765 as a name for an inhabitant of New Britain. The first recorded use of the term by the British to refer to Americans in general appears in the 1780s, in a letter by Lord Horatio Nelson, no less. Around the same time it began to be abbreviated to Yank. During the American Revolution, American soldiers adopted this term of derision as a term of national pride. The derisive use nonetheless remained alive and even intensified in the South during the Civil War, when it referred not to all Americans but to those loyal to the Union. Now the term carries less emotion—except of course for baseball fans.

*ahem*
chanel

4th May 04 at 09:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how much research did u have to do for that?? thanx dude - i thought maybe we were called yanks cuz of the NY Yankees - good to know
Dom

4th May 04 at 09:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jambos_chic
how much research did u have to do for that?? thanx dude - i thought maybe we were called yanks cuz of the NY Yankees - good to know

hmmmmm.........

eitherway, i dont use the term yanks or yankees.....otherwise you get "limey" come back (we're called limeys because of old ships back in the 1700s and the use of limes to stay alive and stop gangreen etc)

[Edited on 04-05-2004 by VisibleMan]
Nismo

4th May 04 at 09:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Skany Yankee's*

* Disclaimer

This does not include Britney or Christina

Jambo

4th May 04 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nismo
Skany Yankee's*

* Disclaimer

This does not include Britney or Christina

Or my woman nismo

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » why are.... 22 database queries in 0.0151200 seconds