corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » What the FCUK is all this........

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What the FCUK is all this........
mentalasanything

User status: Offline
5th Jul 04 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, the story goes a bit like this. Are we all sitting comfortably???? Then I'll begin.

Last Monday my Engine Management light came on and me car died. Did a diagnostics test and came up with code 1405 - EGR Valve.

Took it to my local garage, put it on tek2 and it showed EGR valve, they replaced it and it was all hunky dory......FOR ABOUT 25 MILES.

Same prob again and same fault 1405. Took it back to garage and was runnin really bad, worse than my lawnmower, neways, they took the EGR back off and it was jammed open with this sorta stuff, corrugated aluminium :-

Garage instantly didnt want anything more to do with the car sayin it needed the head stripping. I pulled all this stuff out of the port of the EGR valve replaced the EGR and all works perfect.

My question is, does anyone know what it is and/or where it came from, help needed!!!!!

Cheers, Lee
Adam-D

5th Jul 04 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no idea
looks kinda like a old timing belt?
Adam_B

5th Jul 04 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

baffles from the exhaust maybe
mentalasanything

5th Jul 04 at 20:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Naaah, way too thin and small 2 b timing belt, its metal and it was in the little pot and the port, where the EGR valve sits.

Dnt think its exhaust baffles, they wouldnt come up exhaust, thru valves and in to chamber, would they?

[Edited on 0505-0707-2004200420042004 by mentalasanything]
PaulW

5th Jul 04 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

doubt it will be exhaust baffles in the EGR... but it does look like it tho...

there really is nothing that can cause that tbh unless they did a shite job & jammed it up to get more cash out of ya!

out of interest, have you checked the condition of your air filter & air pipes leading to the throttle-body??
Siberia

5th Jul 04 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was gonna say bits of induction kit.... but i'm not to sure of the EGR's location/function.
PaulW

5th Jul 04 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

EGR is on the manifold just after the head. its about 2-3ft of exhaust tubing before the cat, so if it was exhaust baffles, then it would of have to of gone through the cat & really been sucked up!
Siberia

5th Jul 04 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh so its on the exhaust side? doubt its induction kit then cos the engine would be shaged if all that aluminium went through it.
PaulW

5th Jul 04 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

true - only thing I can think of is they stuffed it up or jammed it to get more money! wouldnt be the first time I seen this done
Siberia

5th Jul 04 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have to say from the pic its doesnt look like its been living in the exhaust for too long.

jesus would they go to that much hassle to get a few extra quid..............

sad!
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

5th Jul 04 at 22:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But if they wanted more money out of you why would they tell ya they wanted nothing more to do with the car surely they would have known what the problem was and fixed it if that were the case

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
CorsAsh

5th Jul 04 at 22:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmm, corrugated fasteners as used in furniture assembly...

and whats been found in your car...

Greasemonkey

5th Jul 04 at 23:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats fooking weird mate, i seriously cannot think what that is dude, i know nothing about EGR cos im lucky enough to have a rev all over the place C16XE. this is my theroy. Some thing has come in ya inlet (bits of induction kit?). and gone down the exhaust gas recirculation system which plumbs exhaust gasses back into the lower inlet manifold from the exhaust. This is the only link between the two that wont shagg ya engine, look for things that have broken up in the EGR system? just an idea
Siberia

6th Jul 04 at 07:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its aluminium though? bits them size surely would destroy the engine internals?

next thing ya know he'll find a small bird in his EGR
mentalasanything

6th Jul 04 at 07:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its not induction kit/pipe, had a look at this. You may be right about them jammng stuff in, when we said to them "you fcuked it up you must ave put those bits in, he chucked me out!!!

Its too soft tohave caused damage, bout th thickness of 3 layers of foil
Greasemonkey

6th Jul 04 at 07:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the link between the exhaust and inlet manifold on the EGR system is a straight link it dosnt pass through the engine?
If these dudes aint stuffed that shite in there i would point my finger to something in the EGR although i dont have a clue what it is
OzzySRi

6th Jul 04 at 07:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u sure it aint hardened carbon. could have formed over time somewhere and finally dislodged?
mentalasanything

6th Jul 04 at 11:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Greasemonkey
.....If these dudes aint stuffed that shite in there i would point my finger to something in the EGR.....

Naah, the EGR is just a u-bend with a gate that opens and closes, nothing in there, It aint carbon either, its a thin soft metal, uniformly corrugated.
Siberia

6th Jul 04 at 11:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if the car continues to run alright then they must have shoved that crap into the part
mentalasanything

6th Jul 04 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Siberia
if the car continues to run alright then they must have shoved that crap into the part

Damn right
greebo2

6th Jul 04 at 16:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the only thing it looks like to me is shredded up piece of corrugated ally air ducting, intereresting that it's blackened has it been burnt or had carbon deposited on it? Very very strange. I'm a bit suspicious that they claimed it needs the head stripping, although it's kind of
too obvious to fool anyone although I suppose the average garage customer would just take their word for it. If you really think they stuffed it in I'd report them to trading standards.
Mattb

6th Jul 04 at 21:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that looks like nothing out of an engine anywhere trading standards i think should at least be informed
mentalasanything

7th Jul 04 at 07:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mattb
that looks like nothing out of an engine anywhere trading standards i think should at least be informed

My sentiments exactly, I cant think of anywhere at all that it could have come from! Trading standards methinks.
greebo2

7th Jul 04 at 09:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you were to cut a piece of corrugated air duct off - say about two inches long, then cut strips of it lengthwise, then flattened it out, then burned it with a blow-torch or similar to blacken it, you might end up with something that looks like this stuff. I can't see how it could possibly be produced by some fault within an engine. I've been trying to imagine how I would make some of this if I needed to.
greebo2

7th Jul 04 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and the thing I'm missing of course is it's been exposed to exhaust gases as it's been in the egr valve location, so that explains the blackening; so what you've got is some cut up flattened strips of corrugated ally that have been put in by the looks of it. If you're going to report to trading standards would be useful to have a second "expert" opinion to back you up, for example a statement from a main dealer saying that there are no circumstances under which such material could be produced in the location it was found by an engine fault. Just a thought.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll