corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » PPL insured under other ppl names!!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author PPL insured under other ppl names!!
Blacksxiboy2003

User status: Offline
16th Jul 04 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as above,
are you protected as if u we're in ur own policy??
wot car n how much do u pay??
cheers ppl
Jamie

16th Jul 04 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why dont people just get their own damn policies?
mossy

16th Jul 04 at 18:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Andrew

16th Jul 04 at 18:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mines costs less in my name Dunno what that is all about
Dav

16th Jul 04 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Blacksxiboy2003
as above,
are you protected as if u we're in ur own policy??
wot car n how much do u pay??
cheers ppl
In my case, yes. My car's insured for any driver over 25 to drive it fully comp. The policy is my mums but I'm a "named driver" (driver under 25) on the policy, and fully covered to drive the car.

With CIS incase u ask.
Gregor

16th Jul 04 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On the same topic , I am wondering the following,

If my dad is the main driver of his car , can he also be a main driver of my car ???

Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
16th Jul 04 at 20:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can take out policies with main drivers being lower risk, someone main driver on two cars etc. but insurance companies can choose to not pay. So yes - you can do it, whether the policy is any use you find out when you claim.

Generally its only proven when the car is registered to a different person ie. son is the keeper, father is the insurer but if the son makes more than one claim they're going to be asking questions.

They also will find it strange that the son is in to modified cars and yet its the father who decided to lower the car and throw big alloys on it!
James_mk

16th Jul 04 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im a second driver under my dads name fuly comp...400squidders pour moi. n im 20
KPGrimmy

16th Jul 04 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I work for an insurance company and we are clamping down on young drivers who insure their car in a parent's name.

On every claim when a young driver was driving a car, which is not insured in their name, we have to carry out an investigation. I'm sure most other insurance companies are the same.

Your better off in the long run, insuring the car in your own name and earning your own NCD.

[Edited on 16-07-2004 by KPGrimmy]
Gregor

16th Jul 04 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What does the investigation consist of mate ?

If its tpft anyway , then is it as much of a problem , as I am unlikely to claim ?
KPGrimmy

16th Jul 04 at 20:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The main indicator is to find out who is the registered keeper of the vehicle (We can access DVLA records). If it is the young driver, we then have to get evidence of who bought the car.

If the policyholder (i.e the parent) has no insurable interest in the car (Did not buy it & do not own it), the insurance policy is invalid/illegal.
Gregor

16th Jul 04 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So , if the car were to be under my dads name , and insured by him , it wouldnt be a problem ??
Blacksxiboy2003

16th Jul 04 at 21:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just what i was thinkin
Blacksxiboy2003

16th Jul 04 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

only reason i ask is because ive been quoted alot for me to be the main driver on my new car!
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
16th Jul 04 at 21:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the car is registered to your dad and insured by your dad then the only way of finding out if its fronted is to follow you round or guess, both of which result in cover being refused.

[Edited on 16-07-2004 by Ian]
KPGrimmy

16th Jul 04 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

At the end of the day it's all about proof, if the insurance company can't prove that the young driver actually own's the car, they can't do anything.

Make sure that everything to do with the car is registered/bought in the policyholders name.

But I still recommend that you build up your own NCD, dearer at first but cheaper in the long run.
Blacksxiboy2003

16th Jul 04 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers mr grim for all ur help,looks like im gunna build my ncb cos i want a fast car wen im a wee bit older!
Rob_Quads

16th Jul 04 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

"At the end of the day it's all about proof, if the insurance company can't prove that the young driver actually own's the car, they can't do anything. "

Well if they can prove that the young drive is the main person using the car they can refuse payout.
If you are buying petrol on your CC then they can show that you are using the car all the time and therefore the main driver and so you are not covered.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » PPL insured under other ppl names!! 22 database queries in 0.0118020 seconds