corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Pc peeps

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Pc peeps
corsa_boy

User status: Offline
29th Sep 04 at 23:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when upgrading from windows 98 to xp would i lose all my mp3s and other things?

just bought a mini ipod and cant install it on win 98

cheers
Cybermonkey

29th Sep 04 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I expect you will. Dont be a lazy bugger and put em on CD
ed

29th Sep 04 at 23:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends on if you do an upgrade or a full install, I upgraded somons computer last noight to XP, we did a full install to use the NTFS file system instead of FAT32... Your better off doing a fresh install so you can use the NTFS file system, so backup everything onto CD...
corsa_boy

29th Sep 04 at 23:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok peeps cheers, new cd writer for me tommorow
James_DT

29th Sep 04 at 23:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can convert the FAT drives to NTFS after you've installed XP, keeps the data too.
corsa_boy

29th Sep 04 at 23:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is it easy to do james?
ed

29th Sep 04 at 23:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh right, I tend to go with a reformat though if i'm installing a new OS, especially on a computer with Windows 98 - that OS seems to make the computer retain so much crap and slow it down so much...
Cybermonkey

29th Sep 04 at 23:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James_DT
You can convert the FAT drives to NTFS after you've installed XP, keeps the data too.

How does that work? Converting to NTFS is normally wiping the disk and starting again for the benefit of the indexes.
James_DT

29th Sep 04 at 23:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I always go for reformat too, but converting to NTFS is very simple.
Start... Run... "Convert [drive letter] /FS:NTFS" without the "".
Here's the bit from Help and Support -
quote:
It is easy to convert partitions to NTFS. The Setup program makes conversion easy, whether your partitions used FAT, FAT32, or the older version of NTFS. This kind of conversion keeps your files intact (unlike formatting a partition). If you do not need to keep your files intact and you have a FAT or FAT32 partition, it is recommended that you format the partition with NTFS rather than convert from FAT or FAT32. Formatting a partition erases all data on the partition and allows you to start with a clean drive.
Whether a partition is formatted with NTFS or converted using the convert command, NTFS is the better choice of file system. For more information about Convert.exe, after completing Setup, click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER. In the command window, type help convert and then press ENTER.

James_DT

29th Sep 04 at 23:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cybermonkey24
quote:
Originally posted by James_DT

How does that work? Converting to NTFS is normally wiping the disk and starting again for the benefit of the indexes.

It's better to format the partition and start again, but it's possible to just convert the FAT to NTFS, and it still runs fairly well.
Cybermonkey

29th Sep 04 at 23:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

aaaah ok, cheers matey

corsa_boy, if you do decide to keep as FAT, many of the "security" features wont be available to you.
corsa_boy

30th Sep 04 at 08:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im backing them up mate and starting again, cheers for the help!
Deekiboy

30th Sep 04 at 08:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If Ur only a home user I'd keep it as FAT, All U lose as Cyber monkey says is the "Security" Fetures, Fat32 is also Quicker than Ntfs, If U do decide to upgrade U wont lose all Ur data, The Cluster size is a lil bigger usuing Fat32 but If U have a large hard drive it doesnt really matter about Cluster size! The only things U will lose by using Fat is: Disk Qouta, And permissions, Personally my self I use Fat32 Running XPSP2, Its ok if Ur the only user that uses the PC!
James_DT

30th Sep 04 at 08:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FAT32 isn't faster than NTFS, not in my experience anyway.
Reformatting helps every now and then anyway, clears it all out and things which is helpful when converting over to NTFS.
Deekiboy

30th Sep 04 at 08:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh true but it is a know fact that Fat32 is quicker, FAT32 is faster in cases where the partitions are less than 18GB. NTFS is faster with anything larger.

Fat32 only has share level permissions, whereas NTFS has file level permissions. The latter is more secure.

Both file systems fragment equally for the most part, although NTFS is more resistant. However, you'll still need to defrag regularly.

NTFS is only readable by WinXP/2000/NT, and FAT32 by WinXP/2000/98/95OSR2. Keep this in mind if you plan on dual booting.

It's easy to switch a system drive to NTFS if WinXP/2k/NT is already installed, but it's a one way ticket. Other drives can be reconverted if you change your mind, but you'll have to reformat them.
Straight out of My notes!

[Edited on 30-09-2004 by Deekiboy]

[Edited on 30-09-2004 by Deekiboy]
corsa_boy

4th Oct 04 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive installed xp now but my download speed has gone really slow, im on a 1 meg connection and very lucky if i get higher than 2kb/s any ideas?
Nismo

4th Oct 04 at 17:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

disable an XP firewalls , are you using port forwarding?

corsa_boy

4th Oct 04 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive disabled the firewall, what is port forwarding? my data light on the modem is constantly on even when im not on msn or IE if thats any help?

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Pc peeps 22 database queries in 0.0131619 seconds