corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » poor running problems any help.....

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author poor running problems any help.....
Graham

User status: Offline
12th Oct 04 at 10:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right i know most corsas dont like running when its cold early mornin, but this happens pretty much all the time unless the engine has been going over for about 20 minutes. its like i have to be gently putting my foot onto 1st gear, and slowly raising the revs, if i floor it, the revs try to go up but the car judders and theres no response at all. was thinkin it could be the air flow meter but would it be best hookin it up to tech2 to be sure.
also when outside the car, the engines making a funny noise, im not to clued on engines but was thinkin it could be tappets
and finally the exhaust squeeks, this would be the hangers right?

any help is appreciated
PaulW

12th Oct 04 at 10:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

running could be plugs/ht leads, or dirty injectors...

bit of red-x or something might help, aswell as new plugs/leads

funny noise, you mean a rattle or ticking?? also does it idle well & loosing no oil/coolant? tappets are funny lil buggers, could just be indication its time for an oil & filter change as they can get quite noisy when the car has loads of dirty old oil in it! Kerry was same when she had her vectra, noisy lil cnut till she did an oil change & then went all quiet

squeeking will just be a join/gasket/hangers, shouldnt really be anything to worry about but if you wana be safe just get some new hangers & replace them all

Graham

12th Oct 04 at 10:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well its a 1.0lt 12v so they dont have plugs/ht according to Haynes, ill buy some red-x later to see if that helps.
its staring to idle around 1200 whereas normally it was 950ish. as for oil change ive never done one before so i havnt got a bloody clue on how to do it.
thanks for the help paul
PaulW

12th Oct 04 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

since when did a 12v not have plugs or leads??? hmmmmmm

idle - check the ICV, could be a bit cticky - not a big job to clean it really!

oil, simple... let the car idle for a few mins from cold, just to warm it 'slightly'

jack up or better still put up on ramps

remove the oil filler cap

remove the nut from the sump & let oil drain into a bucket (careful, oil might be warm/hot)

once it stops dripping, remove the oil filter (may need filter-removing tool... A belt!)

clean up the mess & then smear a slamm bit of fresh oil on the rubber seal for the new filter & fit to car, only hand tight though!

fit sump-nut back on

top up oil slowly till full

start engine & let idle for about 2-3 mins till oil light goes out & then stop engine & check for leaks

PaulW

12th Oct 04 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

reason your warming it too is the oil drains better when its a bit warm!
Graham

12th Oct 04 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks paul for the help will try this later
Kerry

12th Oct 04 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you will be dead proud of yourself if you do an oil change
PaulW

12th Oct 04 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've done about 40 - can I get any prouder
Graham

12th Oct 04 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive bought some red-x injector cleaner and ill use that first rather than fuckin up the oil change seein as ive gotta drive to leeds later today. how much do i have to add, the tank is just under full
PaulW

12th Oct 04 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

usually says on the back...

i always used to think fcuk it & chuck the whole bottle in along with a tank full of optimax!

if ya wana be proper tho, average corsa tank when full holds between 40-44litres of fuel
Graham

12th Oct 04 at 13:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well ive added it, let the car idle for about2-3 mins and now hopefully it'll do something. tar for the advice paul
PaulW

12th Oct 04 at 13:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it will do its work the more its run, so the improvement (if any) will be gradual

it did help my old 1.4i a hel of alot, but as I only run optimax on the GSi, when I last checked the plugs & other bits the other day, there were all nice & clean unlike with regular petrol!
Graham

12th Oct 04 at 13:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

think i might switch to using optimax, even tho its only the 1.0lt if it helps the engine i wud rather pay a little bit more now than fork out when the car buggers up again
PaulW

12th Oct 04 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

people say it aint worth it, but tbh what you dont gain in performance you will gain in less carbon deposits & muck & shite in the engine
Tom_1.216v

12th Oct 04 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hey graham my car does the same thing mate. sounds like a fcukin tractor outside. and mine idles at 1100 for first minute or soo then drops down to 800. also it just seemed so underpowered. im tryin that nitrox hotshot stuff and red x soon. then i'll send my car in for a full service and it should be fine hopefully me thinks!
did the red x make much difference??

New Poll