corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Loft conversion

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Loft conversion
leni

User status: Offline
10th Nov 04 at 09:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Theirs a house down our street up for sale at £130k ( we paid £69k last year) anyway, it has a loft conversion with no windows and a fixed stair well in

i.e.

how much do you think it would cost to get this done?

Loft is only big enough in the centre to stand up for a 6 ft adult! but I think it looks good!

leni

markBezzy

10th Nov 04 at 09:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you wont get planning regs without a window!
leni

10th Nov 04 at 09:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd rather put a window in! It'd be too dark without!

And I'd like one of those bay type windows where you can walk into it, sort of thing!
Super_si

10th Nov 04 at 09:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah i think theyve got around that saying its a games room or something, and thats apretty crummy perminant stair case. My room was somewhere in the 10k area. few windows, propper stair case
markBezzy

10th Nov 04 at 09:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

apply for planning permission but if you do then you will need a set of fixed stairs and a door at the top of the stairs.
Biff McFly
Banned

10th Nov 04 at 09:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You would need to strengthen the joists on your roof and change the manor in which they have been constructed - not a difficult job but will cost a fair bit! Also if its to be put on the deeds as an extra bedroom etc you are required to have adequate lighting, ventilation and 2 points of access.

Probably cost about £15k id think.
3CorsaMeal

10th Nov 04 at 09:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not too much, could get planning permission and do it yourselfs with some guidance, it only really wood and plaster
leni

10th Nov 04 at 09:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the room with the staircase is tiny anyway! only get a single bed in i.e.

Bedroom Two 10’ 9” x 7’ 2”
Radiator. Upvc double glazed window to rear. Beautifully designed built in wardrobe. Inset lighting to ceiling. Open plan tastefully designed fixed stair case leading to an amazing loft area for additional living space which has Tv point. Inset ceiling lighting to ceiling and twinkle star lights to back wall.
markBezzy

10th Nov 04 at 09:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by henry_corsa
You would need to strengthen the joists on your roof and change the manor in which they have been constructed - not a difficult job but will cost a fair bit! Also if its to be put on the deeds as an extra bedroom etc you are required to have adequate lighting, ventilation and 2 points of access.

since when have you had to have two points of access?
3CorsaMeal

10th Nov 04 at 09:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

loads of clauses that u can use to get round any planning issues, best to get a design (i could do that for a BJ) and then see what they moan about
Biff McFly
Banned

10th Nov 04 at 09:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by markBezzy
quote:
Originally posted by henry_corsa

since when have you had to have two points of access?

Maybe thats scots law then but had to have 2 way out in my house
3CorsaMeal

not in every room tho
leni

To say the fella works for top Fireplace company in Hull! His fireplace is shit

hate their living room!
leni

10th Nov 04 at 09:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

think my 2 access point a door and a window should be suffient!

Might have to have a talk with Rob tonight about doing this eventually! We have a low roof, that would be our problem and theirs loads of beams to they'd need moving etc!

I do have a friend of the family who could do this but they don't like Rob so no point in asking! :S
markBezzy

10th Nov 04 at 09:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by leni
think my 2 access point a door and a window should be suffient!

Might have to have a talk with Rob tonight about doing this eventually! We have a low roof, that would be our problem and theirs loads of beams to they'd need moving etc!

I do have a friend of the family who could do this but they don't like Rob so no point in asking! :S

leneth i would like to see you climb out of a velux window! Think you might stuggle.

In England you only need one way out unless its a rented flat in a house then thats different again.

Need to have a door at one end on the stairs and a window.
Super_si

10th Nov 04 at 09:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah windows classed as a secondary exit point. When we put stair case they just cut space off my mums room + bothers, probably about a meter altogether.
Biff McFly
Banned

10th Nov 04 at 09:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unless its just going to be used for storage im pretty sure you are required 2 ways out of the converted floor, even if 1 is just a window!
markBezzy

10th Nov 04 at 09:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

leni look on your local Borough council website and see if they have a planning and building regulations section. Might tell you there.

If not ring them up and ask for the planning department and they will be happy to help you.
Greasemonkey

10th Nov 04 at 09:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you have trussed rafters then dont bother, it costs too much to do, if you have a cut roof its worth doing, it will class as a 2nd floor so you will need an Escape window in the roof, it only needs to be a velux roof light, but there is a requirement to the cill height and size of it, I work for an architects so need any info just ask
markBezzy

10th Nov 04 at 09:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is from my local council.

Loft Conversions
Advice on loft conversions and applicable building regulations.

This is a very popular conversion, and almost always requires consent.

If the only work you intend to carry out is to lay a few floorboards down to form a flat storage space or install an electric light then the Borough Council would not consider that to be work which needs consent. (Be careful not to overload the joists though!)

If your works involve the creation of a room however (even a storeroom) then an application would be required. For your guidance, the Borough Council would consider any of the following to indicate that a room was being created:

The installation of a fixed stairway as opposed to a retractable loft ladder.
The installation of one or more roof windows.
The lining out of the roof structure with plasterboard, etc.
The use of the loft area as a study, bedroom, office or other similar use.
Loft conversions create some very attractive rooms but can sometimes be quite complex, and what can at first appear to be a cheap way of adding another room can turn out to be anything but when the full implications are known. Take a look at our guidance note on the subject so you can make an informed decision, and if you are still unsure - get in touch!

PDF file here: http://www.rushcliffe.gov.uk/upload/public/attachments/1/loftconversions.pdf

Edit: Just had a look at the PDF file. Worth taking a look at Leni. Tells you about the fireproof doors you need and about the stairs etc etc.

[Edited on 10-11-2004 by markBezzy]
leni

10th Nov 04 at 09:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mightbe used as a computer room
Greasemonkey

10th Nov 04 at 09:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also you will have to provide the new room with sufficient insulation to achieve a U-value of
0.16W/m2K through the roof, if the walls are heigher than 1200mm to the sides of the room a value of 0.35 W/m2K will have to be rpovided here , this is a Building regulation issue, the new part E of the regulations has come in now too so in regards to sound insulation between the floors this aspect will need looking at too

[Edited on 10-11-2004 by Greasemonkey]
leni

10th Nov 04 at 09:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds like allot of work!

whats the difference between the rafter frames?
3CorsaMeal

10th Nov 04 at 09:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i hate working out SAP rating for the massive houses

u will need a light switch to turn on the light too
Greasemonkey

10th Nov 04 at 09:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a trusses roof is the modern way of creating a roof, it will be a frame which will not be open between the rafters, there will be supports coming up from the ceiling joists to the rafters, a cut roof is just rafters with purlins running from one end to the other supporting the rafters at mid span

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Loft conversion 22 database queries in 0.0153420 seconds