corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Lowering Dilemma

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Lowering Dilemma
Rebrabuk

User status: Offline
28th Dec 04 at 19:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a '94 SRI totally standard..

When i have a heavy person (or 2 light people ) in the back i get a really bad rattling noise which i suspect is the exhaust rattling against the rear beam due to the weight in the back..

The exhaust seems to be attached pretty firmly and doesn't seem to be hangging too low or anything like that so i'm assuming that my rear suspension is just too old and 'soft' and requires replacing. (Previous owner used to pull a trailor around which would add to the theory of knackered suspension)..

I've always wanted to lower it but could never justify the expense but as it needs replacing anyway (or atleast i assume it does) i thought i may aswell take the opportunity and do it now..

I've seen a set of springs and dampers (-50mm) which i think would look good with my 14" rims, but i'm worried that it's going to cause major problems when i have a heavy person (or 2 light people ) in the back...

Please share your opinions and reassure me that it'll be ok..
Ian
Site Administrator

28th Dec 04 at 20:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the dampers are worn they need replacing anyway, whether you uprating them or just putting new standard ones on.

This is a fairly common problem and its nothing a hammer to the back box doesn't sort.

Priority is that the suspension works properly. The shape of the backbox (assuming you're able to modify it without putting a hole in it) is less important.
Corsa Racer 69

28th Dec 04 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it shouldnt cause too many problems because they are progresive springs (or they were on my 1.2) so they are softer in the first 10-20cm of damper travel. When u put stiffer springs in the car will be lower but wont travel as much on the damper so shouldnt rub
corsa5dr

28th Dec 04 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

-50mm on 14's will be fine with passengers. Most people on here are lowered 50mm on 17's without too much trouble.
Corsa Racer 69

28th Dec 04 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have they had any arch work done corsa5dr ?

[Edited on 28-12-2004 by Corsa Racer 69]
Rebrabuk

28th Dec 04 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
This is a fairly common problem and its nothing a hammer to the back box doesn't sort.

Priority is that the suspension works properly. The shape of the backbox (assuming you're able to modify it without putting a hole in it) is less important.

It appears to be the exhaust piping rather than the actual backbox bit that is hitting the beam and banging which is why i've been cautious about trying to move it around (or hammering it!) incase i put a hole in it or dislodge it at one of the joinings..

Cheers for the replis anyway, think i'll go for the lowering kit and take it from there!
Corsa Racer 69

28th Dec 04 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

make an exhaust guard out of aluminium or steel or summat so that takes the battering instead of your zorst
Rebrabuk

28th Dec 04 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa Racer 69
make an exhaust guard out of aluminium or steel or summat so that takes the battering instead of your zorst

I don't want anything getting battered - it's the noise that is annoying me!

New Poll