corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » UK spec Scooby's

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author UK spec Scooby's
Ditch

User status: Offline
3rd Feb 05 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Last night I went for a drive in my astra, and Im just cruising along when I see lights approaching behind me at a rate. Then I watched the front end drop as he hit the brakes right behind me, and he seemed to be having a very close up view of my rear bumper... its at this point I notice a subaru vent on the bonnet.

Next roundabout, and we head off onto a very quiet stretch of motorway, a few miles long, with no other traffic about, except scooby bloke who was now about 3-4 cars lengths behind me... So I went for it, giving it death in every gear, and about halfway through 3rd this guy starts to very very slowly creep up on me. Digi dash hits three figures and im into 5th by the time he is alongside, and I can hear the 'ol boxer engine hammering away next to me... well into three figures and he is about 1 cars length in front of me, with me laughing to myself that these jap turbos aint all they are cracked up to be! Bloke driving looked extremely upset to have be thrashing his car to crawl past a 15year old astra

(*then on the way home I got owned by an Evo 6 TME )
Cybermonkey

3rd Feb 05 at 10:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice one @ what road?
Ditch

3rd Feb 05 at 11:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

M10 to hemel... I want a LET now

think he might of sh!t a brick If I had left him eating dust, looked very upset anyway!
3CorsaMeal

3rd Feb 05 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i couldn't get away from a 5dr focus lastnight, nearly died trying

my car is pants tho
Tim
Site Administrator

3rd Feb 05 at 11:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah those low-end scoobies really aren't great

I want a LET too The M10 is great as it's slightly up hill which I feel gives me a slight edge over some of the hot hatches which tend to try-it
Ditch

3rd Feb 05 at 11:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so is mine

thats what makes it fun!
3CorsaMeal

3rd Feb 05 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i might get a GTE, if i find a mint one, cant be arsed to have the lump in a corsa, what they handle like ditch? do they feel quite basic to drive?
MatthewR

3rd Feb 05 at 11:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

U wouldnt believe its an astra when u put your foot down
3CorsaMeal

3rd Feb 05 at 11:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i should come to Watford soon and see it
Ditch

3rd Feb 05 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tim
The M10 is great as it's slightly up hill which I feel gives me a slight edge over some of the hot hatches which tend to try-it

torque is a wonderful thing

Had some dude in a CTR with his mates in the car showing off, could hear the old V-Tec squeel, but he wasnt going anywhere
Ditch

3rd Feb 05 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
i might get a GTE, if i find a mint one, cant be arsed to have the lump in a corsa, what they handle like ditch? do they feel quite basic to drive?

If you can find a clean one snap it up mate, there aint many left!

I wouldnt know for sure, but from what I have read on MigWeb the weights of a corsa and a MK2 Astra are very similar. But the Astra has a slightly bigger wheelbase making it feel much more solid through the twisties than any corsa I have driven (and mine is sitting on shagged suspension!) And the powersteering still allows enough feedback to know when its gonna let go - which is handy when you are trying to accelerate out of corners in the wet

As for being basic to drive, it is fairly user friendly yeah. You got to get all gear changes spot on (ie. Match the revs) or the transmission likes to bang about on mine, but generally its a nice car to play in!!

My only real grumble would be the brakes arent up to very much, wish I hadnt forked out for new disks and pads cos I would have just saved up for some decent stopping gear if I had known how sh!t they are
Tom

3rd Feb 05 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mates feels quick (uk scooby) but he's just ordered down pipe decat, middle section, boost controller (and d/v ) to go with his induction kit, back box and uprated clutch then he's getting his mapping done
Ditch

3rd Feb 05 at 11:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats the 0-60 of a Uk scoob, just interested in how quickly they get moving?
Siberia

3rd Feb 05 at 11:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

does your astra have ABS? if not throw some v6 brakes on it....

the astra seems to be LET conversion friendly......

i'd still recon a corsa with xe is more fun though.... havent driven one but i like beating things i shouldnt beat with my 1.6 there really isnt alot of fast corsa's over here on 5 or 6 in the whole country and the fact my car is a merit with black bumpers.... it really leaves poeple wondering how the hell i bet them i would just love that extra few CC the 2.0 has and of course the torque....
Tom

3rd Feb 05 at 11:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ditch
Whats the 0-60 of a Uk scoob, just interested in how quickly they get moving?

6ish i think....
3CorsaMeal

3rd Feb 05 at 11:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'm gonna get a quote on a GTE then, they quite cheap to buy too, so could have a much quicker car for a couple of thou

3CorsaMeal

3rd Feb 05 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£736

seems high for an old shed

golf VR6 was only £650
MatthewR

3rd Feb 05 at 11:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Worth every penny
Ditch

3rd Feb 05 at 11:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Siberia
does your astra have ABS? if not throw some v6 brakes on it....

the astra seems to be LET conversion friendly......

i'd still recon a corsa with xe is more fun though.... havent driven one but i like beating things i shouldnt beat with my 1.6 there really isnt alot of fast corsa's over here on 5 or 6 in the whole country and the fact my car is a merit with black bumpers.... it really leaves poeple wondering how the hell i bet them i would just love that extra few CC the 2.0 has and of course the torque....

V6 stopping gear is already under consideration!

All the corsas I have driven handled worse than my astra with knackered rear shocks!! I have driven a corsa on proper coilovers and that was probably slightly more chuckable... but then you could spend money on the Astras set-up too...
Ditch

3rd Feb 05 at 11:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
£736

seems high for an old shed

golf VR6 was only £650

CNUT
Ditch

3rd Feb 05 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
they quite cheap to buy too

yeah only worth a couple of hundred... find a mint example and its worth more to the right person. But there just arent any mint ones about, especially not for sale anyway!

Get yourself a quote on one with a LET 3CM
I guarantee you will eventually want more power
Siberia

3rd Feb 05 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh i'd nearly given up on my corsa cos the handling even with coilovers.... but i did some work the other night on it and i'm in love with handling i can take corner i used to take at 65-70 at 85-90 now i can make it slide whatso ever.....

i would think though that the astra feels alot more like a comfortable car rather than a tin box like the corsa does....
Tom

3rd Feb 05 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Siberia
tbh i'd nearly given up on my corsa cos the handling even with coilovers.... but i did some work the other night on it and i'm in love with handling i can take corner i used to take at 65-70 at 85-90 now i can make it slide whatso ever.....

i would think though that the astra feels alot more like a comfortable car rather than a tin box like the corsa does....

The astra is more of a tin box than the corsa well light like a nova....
3CorsaMeal

3rd Feb 05 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what you done to handling, my corsa is horrid to drive?

who will quote on a LET'd GTE? will it be the same as a quote on a calibra turbo etc?
Ditch

3rd Feb 05 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah the body panels of the Astra deffo aint as rigid (or as resistant to rust!) as the Corsa panels, but the actual drving feel is just more solid.

Id say a corsa set-up properly on Coilovers and 15"s would only handle the same, maybe slightly better than a standard GTE on 14"s

spend some money on the Astra and I would imagine the chassis is v capable. Loads of people on Mig take their MK2's out for track days and say they are great fun if set-up well

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » UK spec Scooby's 22 database queries in 0.0211022 seconds