corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Rust and Spraying

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Rust and Spraying
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
13th Mar 05 at 18:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Theres been a load of rust spreading from the under side of my bonnet (The lip where you put your fingers when opening bonnet) and it started creeping up on to the top. I went to motocount and got Primer, Arden Blue paint and Clear lacqour. I started by sanding all the rusty paint off, and then masking off all of my bonnet. I sprayed on the primer and put on the 3 coats at 30minute intervals. I now have to leave it for 24hours to harden and then apply the colour.

Does anyone have any advice for spraying the colour and lacquor to make it blend in as much as possible with the rest of my bonnet as Ive sprayed about a 1/4 of an inch over onto the top of the bonnet to the bits where the rust is creeping round.

Cheers

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
M333KS D

13th Mar 05 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to be honest i wuldnt advise rattle canning it at all but seeing as you already have, i would get a few sheets of wet and dry sandpaper with a sanding block, then dip it all in water and start sanding away, everywhere (but not where needed) just sand all over the bits you have sprayed and where it meets the original paint, this then makes the paint go a "matt colour" all you have to do then is apply some polish a couple of times then it comes up as new!!!!
hope this helps
M333KS D

13th Mar 05 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sorry i meant (dont sand where not needed) ^ he he
Kyle T
Premium Member

13th Mar 05 at 19:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well its not really visible parts of the bonnet, thats why i took the spray cans to it. Cheers for the advice, ill give it a go

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
3CorsaMeal

14th Mar 05 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when u mask it to spray, move the masking tape about an inch backwards with each coat of paint, so its almost feathered outwards
M333KS D

14th Mar 05 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you shouldnt really use maskin tape anyway if you are trying to blend it with original paint as you get the definate line throughout you spraying, you should just "waft" the spray over so that it kind of blends in, then cut it all back!! but still wouldnt advise using spray where you can see it
Danny H

14th Mar 05 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

someone once told me, put polish over the parts you dont want spraying, but dont rub it off.

spay away, then when dried rub all the polish off.

should make it blend in better.

fuck masking tape, bound to have a deffinate line
Kyle T
Premium Member

14th Mar 05 at 18:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for the advice, Ill try the polish trick tomorrow.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Red_SXi

14th Mar 05 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't try the polish trick unless you know what you're doing, the overspray might go over the polish and then you've got white bits under your lacquer.

New Poll