corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Police condone speeding!!

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Police condone speeding!!
CRFC

User status: Offline
19th May 05 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The best bit is in bold

SkyNews wrote:
HAS JUSTICE BEEN DONE?

Road safety campaigners are up in arms about the case of a police traffic officer who has been cleared of speeding and dangerous driving - despite being clocked at 159mph.

Pc Mark Milton said he had taken the newly-commissioned Vauxhall Vectra out to assess its capabilities.

The judge said it was necessary for officers to practise their skills.

But the RAC said most ordinary motorists would interpret the verdicts as one rule for a police constable and another for everyone else.

Do you agree? Do you blame the policeman's bosses? Should they provide high-speed training away from public roads?

We'd like to publish a selection of your emails, so don't forget to provide your full name and where you're writing from.

If you want to remain anonymous, or do not want your words printed, please tell us. Please keep your emails short; we reserve the right to edit them.

Click here to send us your email

As an advanced Police driver myself, I find PC Milton's actions acceptable. If he was pursuing a stolen car with armed robbers on board nothing would have been said. We are expected to drive at speeds well beyond the speed limit in the course of our duty. If a member of the public bought a new car they would test drive it until they were happy with the vehicle. The same applies to advanced Police drivers. There is nowhere that a Police driver can 'practice' and familiarise themselves with a new car - it's about finding the right time and place, ie in the middle of the night well away from public roads. PC Milton has been publicly humiliated for doing his job and deserves an apology.
CorsAsh

19th May 05 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBH, it's not gonna make the slightest bit of difference to me, so I don't really care.

I mean it's highly unlikely that theres going to be a 160mph speed limit on our roads after this...
Lynny

19th May 05 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

in a way i sort of agree with that...if one day at work he had to drive at that speen and he had never done it before, he couldnt react as welll....
tbh look how many posts there are on here about people speedin, the only reason why most people dont go above 90 is there cars cant go any faster, how many of u, if put behind the wheel of this car wouldnt be slightly tempted to try it out?
3CorsaMeal

19th May 05 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well i'm gonna drive round at 140mph when i get new car
Rebrabuk

19th May 05 at 12:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been there, done it..

..Well only 9mph short.
Joff

19th May 05 at 12:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
well i'm gonna drive round at 140mph when i get new car

Your new car will be a beige Allegro
Dan B

19th May 05 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's funny, I could have sworn there were plenty of race-tracks or unused runways (and suchlike) that could have been hired out for a day (although it'd still likely be at the expense of the taxpayer), where he could more safely "test the handling of a new car".

He was off-duty, he drove at more than double the speed-limit on a motorway, at 120mph on a slip-road, and at double the speed-limit in a 30mph zone. He should now be in jail with a ripped-up licence and 5-year ban. But no, it's one law for them and another for us, so he gets off with a "well done for breaking the law and using the excuse you did, very clever of you" and a pat on the back.
Carr

19th May 05 at 15:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan B
That's funny, I could have sworn there were plenty of race-tracks or unused runways (and suchlike) that could have been hired out for a day (although it'd still likely be at the expense of the taxpayer), where he could more safely "test the handling of a new car".

He was off-duty, he drove at more than double the speed-limit on a motorway, at 120mph on a slip-road, and at double the speed-limit in a 30mph zone. He should now be in jail with a ripped-up licence and 5-year ban. But no, it's one law for them and another for us, so he gets off with a "well done for breaking the law and using the excuse you did, very clever of you" and a pat on the back.

A race track hardly has the same realism of the shoddy British roads does it. They are perfectly flat etc. roads aren't and there is also the fact of going inbetween some cars etc. Granted there wouldn't have been many at that time.
At the end of the day if your house was robbed and the robbers were driving away wouldn't you feel better knowing the policeman was capable at driving at high speeds in a pursuit without crashing regardless of the time of day. At the end of the day it's his job he needs to practise just the same as footballers practise their skills before a game and carpenters practise on scrap bits of wood so get over it.
Lynny

19th May 05 at 15:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Carr
quote:

A race track hardly has the same realism of the shoddy British roads does it. They are perfectly flat etc. roads aren't and there is also the fact of going inbetween some cars etc. Granted there wouldn't have been many at that time.
At the end of the day if your house was robbed and the robbers were driving away wouldn't you feel better knowing the policeman was capable at driving at high speeds in a pursuit without crashing regardless of the time of day. At the end of the day it's his job he needs to practise just the same as footballers practise their skills before a game and carpenters practise on scrap bits of wood so get over it.

this was my point!
look at the fire service, the only reason how they can be any good at their job is by practising in real-life situations, this puts thier lives at risk running into burning buildings starved of oxygen etc, but it has to be done to perfect them, sometimes it goes wrong and people are injured but its through mistakes that people learn
Carr

19th May 05 at 15:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Lynny
quote:
quote:

this was my point!
look at the fire service, the only reason how they can be any good at their job is by practising in real-life situations, this puts thier lives at risk running into burning buildings starved of oxygen etc, but it has to be done to perfect them, sometimes it goes wrong and people are injured but its through mistakes that people learn

Exactly
Lynny

19th May 05 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

this was my point!

Exactly

also, imagine how tempting it would be to be sat behind the wheel of that car, who wouldnt wana open it up!
--Dave--
Banned

19th May 05 at 15:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It was still a Vauxhall though
Lynny

19th May 05 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by --Dave--
It was still a Vauxhall though

says you on a corsa website
--Dave--
Banned

19th May 05 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't see your point.

I own a vauxhall because I'm not made of money I'm pretty sure given the choice the majority of Vaux owners on here would also go for something a little more exotic

Lynny

19th May 05 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I don't see your point.

I own a vauxhall because I'm not made of money I'm pretty sure given the choice the majority of Vaux owners on here would also go for something a little more exotic

you mean in your view corsas arent exotic my god boy, what is wrong wiht you?! theyre quality vauxhall engineering!
--Dave--
Banned

19th May 05 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
I don't see your point.

you mean in your view corsas arent exotic my god boy, what is wrong wiht you?! theyre quality vauxhall engineering!

no need to be sarcastic
Lynny

19th May 05 at 15:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sassyminx

19th May 05 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rebrabuk
Been there, done it..

..Well only 9mph short.

tut tut marc
Meat-Pie-SRI

19th May 05 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think the term 'advanced driver' makes the difference tbh, most people think they are good drivers but of course, they have no qualifications to prove it.

Advanced Police course in hertfordshire is a 2 month course, 10 hrs a day, 5 days a week.................... not easy
the_legend_of_yrag

19th May 05 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so alot of you are saying policeman should be alowed to risk other peoples lifes by practising driving at highspeeds on public roads?
What aload of bollocks...

If he had killed someone he would more than likely get just a month ban or something and £100 fine, and you lot would still be saying it's ok because he needs to practice driving at highspeeds...
Skinz

19th May 05 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont think going on any course can make you a good driver, or even a safe driver, its natural ability like anything really
Skinz

19th May 05 at 16:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont know why everyone keeps saying, it was safe, he was a safe driver doing that speed blah blah blah, the law is there, they dont take that kind of info into consideration when dealing with cases for anyone else why should it be different for him yes he should have been done for speeding purely for the fact that yes, it may have been a safe time of night with noone around but he was not given authority to drive at those speeds. IL SAY IT AGAIN, WHEN POLICE HAVENT RADIO'd IN FOR AUTHORITY AND THEY DONT HAVE THERE LIGHTS ON OR HAZARDS THEY ARE BOUND TO THE SAME LAWS WE ARE

[Edited on 19-05-2005 by Skinz]
Dean_H

19th May 05 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

in a way I agree with the police by taking it 'to its limits'

BUT!

why not do it on a private road/test track!!!!!

excuses excuses i think!

[Edited on 19-05-2005 by Ian]
Ian
Site Administrator

19th May 05 at 18:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
also, imagine how tempting it would be to be sat behind the wheel of that car, who wouldnt wana open it up!
My car will do 152, and I would like to test that, but I know I would go to jail for it and never insure a car again, so I don't.
danny-corsa

19th May 05 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the whole thing fucks me off

ppl say the police are advanced drivers and so know how to handle the car. does this mean we can all go on an advanced driving course and do 160mph on public roads? ....... no!

plus the fact that "testing" a car is not taking it to its top speed in a pretty much straight line..... it being able to handle the car round corners etc...

not sure if he was doing this speed on a straight road or not. but if he was whats the point...... not many criminals do a runner on a straight road

and finally...... if someone was in a car capable of those speeds (which to be fair... not many ppl own a car that fast) the police would'nt give chase to them because they would consider it too dangerous and would just chase them with a chopper instead.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Police condone speeding!! 22 database queries in 0.0199409 seconds