corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » That little yellow light

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author That little yellow light
mark and nikki

User status: Offline
   28th Sep 05 at 07:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My girlfriend owns a 1999 (R) 1.0 litre 12v Vauxhall Corsa and that yellow light has been coming on intermittently. I would appreciate any advice people can give, these are the symptoms;

The engine idles fine and normally runs great.
When going up hill it slightly 'misses' and then loses power as the light goes on.
If you knock it down a gear and get the revs up, the engine smooths out and the light goes out.

Any advice with limited abbreviations may mean I do not spend my head under a bonnet all weekend and I can do more enjoyable things!!!!
Nick A

28th Sep 05 at 07:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

could be a number of reasons - but 1999 reg car is V not R, R is 97
dna23

28th Sep 05 at 07:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

o2 sensor / AFM
mark and nikki

28th Sep 05 at 08:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1997 (R) car, not 1999. But would welcome any help from anyone who has had any experience with this. Pretty sure it is not spark plugs, the Throttle Position Sensor. Any idea what an ICV is????
mwg

28th Sep 05 at 08:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ICV stands for Idle Control Valve.

The quickest way to tell whats wrong is to take it to Vauxhall for them to plug it in to the Tech2 diagnostic computer. That will tell you the problem...
mark and nikki

28th Sep 05 at 08:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks, was trying to avoid taking it to Vauxhall and paying for them to do the diagnosis. Looking more and more likely though. Does the split pin trick work for the 1.0litre 12v engine?
Rob B

28th Sep 05 at 08:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its the o2 sensor, make sure you get a genuine vauxhall one universal ones wont work properly like they do in most cars vauxhalls have very sensitive engines
mark and nikki

28th Sep 05 at 08:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thank you, will the Haynes Manual tell me where the O2 sensor is. It makes sense though lacking power on the hills etc would tie in with lack of oxygen.

maybe the whole weekend will not be geared around her car
dna23

28th Sep 05 at 09:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mark and nikki
Thank you, will the Haynes Manual tell me where the O2 sensor is. It makes sense though lacking power on the hills etc would tie in with lack of oxygen.

maybe the whole weekend will not be geared around her car

its most likely o2 sensor but cud be something else, i'd therefore flash ure codes to make sure (paperclip test)
ed

28th Sep 05 at 09:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't paperclip test a 1.0...
mark and nikki

28th Sep 05 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah well, guess I can do a visual and then if all else fails drag it and my sorry backside down to Vauxhall to see what they think. I knew there was a reason I liked the simple mechanics of a VW Beetle

New Poll