corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Entry level DSLR

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Entry level DSLR
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
12th Jan 06 at 21:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't decide which one to get, looks like the best are the Canon 350D and the Nikon D50.

Now the Canon takes amazing pics and has 8mp but the Lense that comes with it is meant to be poo and at £550 i'm not sure compared to Nikon. Also the fell of it is meant to be plasticy and cheap feeling.

However the Nikon is only 6mp but is meant to be nice to hold and use and also take fantastic pics. You can get two lenses with a package from pixmania and a bag+1gb mem stick for £599.

I can't decide, anyone used either of these cameras? Any info would be great.
slugger_54132

13th Jan 06 at 00:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have the 350, and i think its amazing, will do so much, great features, picture quality!!

I do agree the standard lense isnt great, but there are so many good canon lenses that you can upgrade that later! I think its well made for the price, and not had any problems with mine!

Found the nikon harder to use, and i dont like the way things are laid out when you look through the few finder.

I opted for the canon, cos the lenses you can buy for it are much better!!
vibrio
Banned

13th Jan 06 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

go and try them for yourself Steve. the 350 has is a good camera but it's also quite small. also consider the konica minolta 5d too. you have to consider the price of the lens steve. the 18-55 is cheap for a reason. it will satisfy your lust for the time being
Steve
Premium Member

13th Jan 06 at 17:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you were to buy between the two which one would you get? Considering you could get this package for the Nikon - http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/177414/art/nikon/d50-black-18-50mm-f3-5-5.html

and this for the Canon - http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/127840/art/canon/eos-350d-ef-s-18-55-ii-co.html

?
vibrio
Banned

13th Jan 06 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the canon
Tiger

14th Jan 06 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd personally go for the Nikon, but thats because they've always been my first choice. Theres nothing between them really mate, just what you can get the best deal on.
vibrio
Banned

14th Jan 06 at 12:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

canon has better AF and better high ISO but is not as good for metering.
Steve
Premium Member

14th Jan 06 at 14:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thank you for your pearls of wisdom ross, much appreciated
Vroompish

14th Jan 06 at 14:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm also thinking of getting a dslr soon, what is metering? sorry to sound thick.

[Edited on 14-01-2006 by Vroompish]
vibrio
Banned

14th Jan 06 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Vroompish
I'm also thinking of getting a dslr soon, what is metering? sorry to sound thick.

[Edited on 14-01-2006 by Vroompish]

light metering. tells the camera what settings to have to get the correct exposure. so if your setting the aperture the camera pics the shutter speed to let the correct amount of light in.
Vroompish

15th Jan 06 at 00:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers me dears
Vroompish

15th Jan 06 at 23:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So Vibrio, I read you only use two lense. a 17-85 and a 70-200 does that cover everything you need to do I take it? Also wheres the best place to get a polarizer?

Ta
Ian
Site Administrator

16th Jan 06 at 00:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Those two lenses overlap but the 17-85 doesnt have a particularly wide aperture, so doesn't let much light in, so isn't great in poor light.

For that reason Ross also has a 30mm prime which is at f1.4 - loads of light, as well as some other stuff I think. He'll confirm.
vibrio
Banned

16th Jan 06 at 08:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
So Vibrio, I read you only use two lense. a 17-85 and a 70-200 does that cover everything you need to do I take it? Also wheres the best place to get a polarizer?

Ta

I have 10-22mm and a 30mm f1.4 prime. like Ian says the 17-85 is a slow aperture lens f4-5.6 so does not give high shutter in low light. it does however have image stablisation but thats only handy if your subject is not moving. I have a wide range of focal lengths which cover every thing I need. anything longer costs too much and I don't have any real need for a macro lens just yet.

I get my filters from com2buy_uk off ebay.

example 77mm hoya CPL http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-HOYA-77mm-77-CPL-CIRCULAR-CIR-POLARISING-Filter-UK_W0QQitemZ7580578048QQcategoryZ15219QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

you get smaller sizes too

[Edited on 16-01-2006 by vibrio]
Vroompish

16th Jan 06 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by vibrio
quote:

Ta

I have 10-22mm and a 30mm f1.4 prime. like Ian says the 17-85 is a slow aperture lens f4-5.6 so does not give high shutter in low light. it does however have image stablisation but thats only handy if your subject is not moving. I have a wide range of focal lengths which cover every thing I need. anything longer costs too much and I don't have any real need for a macro lens just yet.

I get my filters from com2buy_uk off ebay.

example 77mm hoya CPL http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-HOYA-77mm-77-CPL-CIRCULAR-CIR-POLARISING-Filter-UK_W0QQitemZ7580578048QQcategoryZ15219QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

you get smaller sizes too

[Edited on 16-01-2006 by vibrio]

Thanks

Although i'm still not exactly sure what is best to get for my new 350D yet. I'm am still trying to get to grips with all the jargon being a newbie to SLR cameras.

And what size polarizer/filter would I need for the standard kit lens that comes with the 350D?

Ta
vibrio
Banned

16th Jan 06 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

kit lens is 58mm. tells you on the end of it. the only problem with the 18-55 is that the end element rotates which is apain for polorizers.
Vroompish

25th Jan 06 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right I get that anything under 50mm is considered a wide angle and anything over is telephoto and arount 40/50mm is a standard.

What lens would you use for say a close up of a flower? with bokeh in the background. Would it be maybe a 17-85 lens at 70-85mm?
vibrio
Banned

25th Jan 06 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

telephoto like 200mm at a large aperture

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Entry level DSLR 23 database queries in 0.0094740 seconds