corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Serious Advice (before i thow it out the window)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Serious Advice (before i thow it out the window)
Munchie

User status: Offline
13th Jan 06 at 00:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, about 6 months ago i bought a custom built PC from a local man (builds/repairs PCs for a living).

From the day i got it, it kept having errors on the software etc

few weeks later it started to restart randomly

it was back in for testing many many times, he couldnt find what was causing the computer to crash.

Ok

so i took it to another place for testing......the chap said it was the PSU.
he charged me £75...£25 for the part, £50 for the diagnosis

the computer is still the same..... i have txt this new chap and told him the score and that i want my £ back for the diagnosis as the computer is still not ok....

I have a feeling that he aint gonna give me my £ back but i will try loads!

Ok

so what shall i do? i really dont wanna demand a new pc as its gonna put the original fella (who i bought it from) out of pocket blah blah by quite a bit of £...

i need ure advice please people as this is really effecting me now (as its a family computer and im under severe pressure to get it sorted)

i dont want to buy a new PC as why should I? spent loads on this 1 already

Kind regards

Munch
jamied

13th Jan 06 at 00:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh its shit buying pcs off local 1man bands, i have built about 10 systems to sell and have had one guy come back it was faulty ram. The first guy should have sorted it IMO, and £50 for a diagnosis is a discgrace PSUS are a tenner and 10mins to fit.

[Edited on 13-01-2006 by 306CORSA]
Mistamist

13th Jan 06 at 00:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does it literally shut off like you have pressed reset? as i had this problem and it had something to do with the power pack, i was consuming too much power so it shut down, i had to get a higher ampage powerpack.
Munchie

13th Jan 06 at 00:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to be honest, the PSU has helped a bit like so dont mind paying for that, BUT £50 has hurt me alot. been so pissed off 2day

it has blue screens now (set it like that) so the latest error is win32k.sys blah blah

it shuld of been sorted for that £50 i paid...
Andrew

13th Jan 06 at 00:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Munchie, i had this problem with one of my systems. Changed the RAM and PSU but didn't solve anything. Changed the motherboard and CPU and it's fine.
Munchie

13th Jan 06 at 00:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i shuldnt have to pay for all this tho!!!! ill see wat happens, just dunno wat to say to the original guy who built it lol
MR2Mike

13th Jan 06 at 00:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is it exactly the same after formatting? if so, the pc was dodgy in the first place, so get your money back, why should you be out of pocket instead of the first guy?

just save up and buy a cheap dell pc mate, proper quality, no hassles.

[Edited on 13-01-2006 by Mike_Corsa]
Andrew

13th Jan 06 at 00:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No Munchie you shouldn't. Those parts should be still under guarantee.
Munchie

13th Jan 06 at 00:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh was same after formatting....i dont think i can get a refund like!!! can always ave a go tho
MR2Mike

13th Jan 06 at 01:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

course you can, beat his ass
Munchie

13th Jan 06 at 01:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just had this back.....from the 2nd dude

"Hi,

Got your text, I’ve been out.

Can you answer some questions about the nature of the crashes now?

Is it the same blue screen error messages as before?

When the crash occurs:

are you running bittorrent client software?

are you converting video to dvd?

Is there a specific operation which causes the crash?

Quite a few bittorrent users who have called me in to sort out their machines who genuinely thought there was a hardware fault that no one could fix. At great pains they accepted that their machines would crash or lock up eventually while downloading due to the bittorent software.

Likewise I convert videos to dvd as well and I find my machine will die sometimes, quite often in fact. There a lots of programs that I use like 3DS Max which will crash my computer as well.

Re: Diagnosis refunds:

I do offer a no fix no fee guarantee. In this instance I feel that 2 distinct problems were identified and resolved.

1. The graphics card fan was clogged with dust and not spinning. I cleaned and oiled it and made it run smoothly. Potentially It could also be a sign of damage to the graphics card. I would recommend upgrading to a 128mb AGP card. This would mean the motherboard speeds would match the graphics card better.

2. The power supply rating was well bellow recommendations for an Athlon XP system. So I installed a new power supply as agreed.

NB: Further consultancy given regarding wireless usb driver installation.

All in I think I have served you well.

If I can help resolve the most likely cause of the crashing I will.

Best,

Rod"

i replied with...

"Hi, i get a blue screen saying win32k.sys or something like that even when im just surfing the internet.
havint even opened the bit torrent software since getting the pc back and have only tried converting movies a few times with no success (altho this is the least of my worries)

i am probably going to trading standards over the supplier of my pc as its costing me uneccessary money.

im not asking for a refund on the PSU but is it possible for say £40 back? i appreciate it that you went through the effort to supply and fit the PSU so I am offering you a sum of money for ure efforts, but the problem still hasnt been solved (and im NOT blaiming you!) so its time for the trading standards to step in if a full refund is not given for my pc (from the original supplier)

as for the graphics card, i do not feel as though this is a major issue (as it is soon to be replaced) but again, i do appreciate the work you did on it, I just cannot justify spending £75 on a PC that i still cant use!

I hope you can understand what im talking about! Sorry for late reply, have only just got this barge back onto the internet!!

Ure advice and other other peoples advice will also be passed onto the supplier for a full explanation of what has actually gone wrong on this system..

again...im not asking for a full refund...just a part refund as i do appreciate the work that you have put into this, although the faults are still not fixed.

Regards"

[Edited on 13-01-2006 by Munchie]
Paul_J

13th Jan 06 at 02:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmm... to be fair, it doesn't sound like its the 2nd guys fault it's not working. But on the other hand it does sound like he's trying to fob you off about bit torrent etc causing it.

You may want to read this about the blue screen of death.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_screen_of_death
Corsa Katie

13th Jan 06 at 02:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

less talk, more work
John

13th Jan 06 at 06:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A guy that has his computer crash when he runs software like 3dsmax or converting video obviously can't build a stable system and shouldn't be diagnosing anything tbh.
The computer should not crash unless the software is faulty, not because its testing it to its limits.
Theres not much you can do munch except try bit by bit to find out whats causing it.
1st step I would try would be the ram.
If you're not confident yourself i'd find somewhere that won't try and rip you off because both of these guys sound like cowboys.
Steve
Premium Member

13th Jan 06 at 09:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£50 to diagnose a PSU fault you were robbed, doesnt even sound like that was the problem

[Edited on 13-01-2006 by Corsa_Sam]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Serious Advice (before i thow it out the window) 22 database queries in 0.0129440 seconds