corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Suspension Question

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Suspension Question
Rich H

User status: Offline
29th Jan 06 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, I've just brought 35mm GMAX lowering springs. My standard shocks atm are knakered as they have covered 127k!!!! What I want to know is - Will I be able to replace them with standard shocks off a newer car (even Post 97?) with lower mileage?, Or will I have to source them from - A Pre/Post 97 GSi? Obviously if not, I'll have to get aftermarket shocks but I really can't afford these at the moment!!! Can somebody help me please as I don't really have a clue atm!!!!
SmokeyJoe

30th Jan 06 at 02:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As far as I am aware the shocks didn't change on the Corsa B right through the production so you could fit shocks from any year to your car.

Joe
Rich H

30th Jan 06 at 08:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe
As far as I am aware the shocks didn't change on the Corsa B right through the production so you could fit shocks from any year to your car.

Joe

That'd be good if I could - lower mileage etc - would standard shocks be ok on 35mm springs? I may be wrong but, Im asking this as Im under the impression that my shocks would be ok until I fit 40mm or more springs?
antscorsa

30th Jan 06 at 09:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

your be fine down 40mm on standard, make sure you get a decent psrings tho that are the safe height as teh original but still lower, and not juts shorter springs
Adam-D

30th Jan 06 at 09:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get std gas shocks will improve it
new ones arent that expensive, or jus get a set of matched g-max shocks
Rich H

30th Jan 06 at 09:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by antscorsa
your be fine down 40mm on standard, make sure you get a decent psrings tho that are the safe height as teh original but still lower, and not juts shorter springs

Sorry?! I've already got the springs waiting to be fitted - 35mm GMAX lowering springs? I havent fitted them though, as my current standard shocks r fcuked so I need to know what shocks I can replace them with.
j0hn

30th Jan 06 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to be honest -35 wont be much on ur car
Rich H

30th Jan 06 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by j0hn
to be honest -35 wont be much on ur car

What?I didnt ask what -35mm will be like - I'm asking what shocks I need. I'm doin -35mm because I want practicality still due to the roads around here, Also, I got them cheap - 3 week old springs at about half their original price.

And if you hadn't noticed, I'm modifying my car discreetly so I don't want to go as low as possible. If I did, I'd have brought coilovers - I just want to lower it a little bit to make it smarter.

[Edited on 30-01-2006 by hamman]
Chris_Sport

30th Jan 06 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'll be fine with any shocks from a Corsa B as long as you don't lower it more than 40mm.
Rich H

30th Jan 06 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Chris_Sport
You'll be fine with any shocks from a Corsa B as long as you don't lower it more than 40mm.

Definitely? I don't wanna have to replace shocks in like 6 months time because I've knakered them!
skell

30th Jan 06 at 13:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not that clued up but GSI shocks are about 15mm lower than standard shocks, so i presume they'd be stiffer aswell so should last longer with your springs than standard shocks if you can find them.
skell

30th Jan 06 at 13:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

o an get me some pics of it if you please, so i can see what 35mm looks like with g-max
Rich H

30th Jan 06 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh will do - Think it should make all the difference IMO. Yeh I think GSi shocks would be best bet - bastard to find any though!! (without buying from Vaux brand new obviously!!) They are a wee bit shorter and yeh I'd have thought prob a little bit stiffer. If not, I think I'll just get some newer standard ones. Keep an eye out for pics btw! Hope to do this within next week or so depending on how long it takes me to get shocks

New Poll