corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » That lad jailed for 5 years

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author That lad jailed for 5 years
Nismo

User status: Offline
12th Apr 06 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From another board.

http://www.save-steve.co.uk/

As some of you may know steve had his appeal against sentence in London today at the court of justice (sic).
If you new to the facts www.save-steve.co.uk

Unfortunately we did not get the good news we were hoping for and the appeal judges decided that his appeal would be turned down.
Our barrister made the point that according to the 3 eyewitness reports of steves driving each subsequent witness notes that steve was further behind the car in front each time. Therefore removing the connection with “racing”. He also pointed out that had the fiesta not had a defective rear tyre with only 10psi pressure that it would have negotiated the bend safely.
He went on to say that the advice given to steve to change his plea to guilty 15mins before entering court was not sufficient for him to make a reasoned judgement.
On the above he felt that this was grounds enough to have sentence reduced and for the possibility to appeal against the conviction as well.

The 2 judges made a number of statements in court which we found upsetting and wide of the facts.

Firstly judge number 1 commented that he found it astounding that a 21yr old could have access to a car capable of 140mph and 0-60 time of 6sec he did not however mention that steve passed his test at 17 and had started on a 50cc scooter a 125cc bike then a small car then another small car before owning the Nissan.

He also mentioned that steve had gained his one and only speeding conviction a week previous to that evening ( 34mph in a 30mph gatso) and therefore he was obviously a habitual speeder.

Judge 2 stated that a plea of guilty was final and that steve could not think about his actions and after spending time in prison decide that he was in fact not guilty. The court (he claimed) does not accept that he was pressured into changing his plea.

Judge 2 claimed that speeding and the act of driving in a manner that puts others at risk is a most serious crime and one which the public detests above all others and one in which the courts must deal with in the most serious way to keep “these kind of people” from endangering the public.

After these comments and others that I am too wound up to remember, we knew things were not going well, the judges would not allow the barrister to explain or argue. So they went out to deliberate and came back in 3 mins later and turned down the appeal.

To say that we are stunned would be an understatement. It has taken 6 months of hard work, stress and grief (not to mention the £18,000) to get to today, and now we have nowhere to go and no more hope.
Steve is the greatest kid, full of life and hopes and dreams, he did not deserve to be treated so badly by a system that leaves no room for common sense.
But above all this I am so proud of my son,
When I told him the bad news he said “don’t worry dad”

i am glad that i have xxxxxxx to talk to it helps to vent a bit of tension, and maybe those of you with kids will sit and talk to them and explain that the world is not a just and fair place, and that the smallest of mistakes can have such a huge effect on themselves and those that care about them. i would give up everything just to have a simple hug with my son.
thx for listening
Edd

12th Apr 06 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what happened?
Edd

12th Apr 06 at 11:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

actually scrap that the link tells you
Edd

12th Apr 06 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tough break

5 years is a bit stiff
R16AN H

12th Apr 06 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sorry to hear that mate, i know there is not alot you can say at a time like this,but i am gutted for the both of you
RichR
Premium Member

12th Apr 06 at 11:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its an absoloute disgrace, a girl the other week was found guilty of fleeing the scene of an accident after mowing down a young girl on a crossing - she sat and let someone else take the blame and evetually she got caught - shes just been handed 2 years

the joke is it was dealt with by the same court
Edd

12th Apr 06 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by m5 00rsa
sorry to hear that mate, i know there is not alot you can say at a time like this,but i am gutted for the both of you

wrong end of the stick i think
Ojc

12th Apr 06 at 12:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quite lucky that when I stopped after the accident I witnessed where a Pug 205 GTi rolled and I helped them get out of it, I did'nt get the blame. Even after that accident I swore I would never stop and help ever again, not because I'm a heartless bastard but because of the grief I had to go through with the Police, Police coming around to take statments trying to trick me into saying I was racing the car (again I was well behind the 205) and the court case where I had to be a witness.

My recomendation to everyone is to never stop at the scene of the accident unless your actually involved in it.
Brett
Premium Member

12th Apr 06 at 12:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why did he plead guilty? i know it's for a lighter sentence, but why
RichR
Premium Member

12th Apr 06 at 12:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lawyer said he'd get a light sentence and that was less than 15 minutes before he went into the courtroom - not really sufficient time or peace of mind to make a correct decision IMO
RichR
Premium Member

12th Apr 06 at 12:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

was all on Lawyers recomendation
Marc

12th Apr 06 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A "chipped" Fiesta, that sounds fast
CorsAsh

12th Apr 06 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

RichR
Premium Member

12th Apr 06 at 12:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats the point - it was a zetec S - supposedly being raced by a modified 200sx - which was well behind the Fiesta at the time of the accident and was increasingly falling further behind - how in that case can the two have been "racing"

Jacko wasn't like that tbh either
danny-corsa

12th Apr 06 at 12:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how can they possibly jail someone just because they were driving in the same place at the same time. its not steves fault that the fiesta driver crashed his car because your man steve was'nt driving it!

they've only jailed ur mate cos they think it will set an example.
what if the fiesta driver had of survived? he would have been the one doing the time for death by dangerous driving. they're pathetic cos they just want someone to point the finger at
Brett
Premium Member

12th Apr 06 at 12:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The system is shit, at least the excuse is there that it was a 200bhp 200sx vs a poo fiesta.

What if it was Joe Blow in his Nova with similar bhp? Does he have no outs and has to get sent down?
R16AN H

12th Apr 06 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Edd
quote:

wrong end of the stick i think

just gutted for the lad that got sent down,know what its like to have the threat of prison chucked in your face
hack3tt

12th Apr 06 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who on here could honestly say they have never hit the 90 mark on a road?

Someone else happens to crash on the same road and he gets the blame for everything!!
Gets 5 years!!

Someone else stabbs an old lady and only gets 18 months, wheres the logic!!

Just beacuse you have a fast car doesnt mean you drive like an arse!!

ITS ALL A JOKE!
SXi_Tim

12th Apr 06 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This country justice system is absolutely fcuking daft, if he wasn't english he might be able to claim racial discrimination and get away with it, along with lots of compo
ChazSXi

12th Apr 06 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this exactly what im learning about in legal theory...the difference between a suitable punishment for the crime to deter the victim...or a punishment to deter others.

In my opinion this is an example of a punishment given to provide an example and put others off doing to 'claimed' conviction.
psycho sport

12th Apr 06 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its very difficult to pass judgement when we can only read one side of the story.

' absolutely appallingly wet conditions '

then goes on to say

' the Nissan was travelling at an average speed of 90mph '

well not gona judge but says alot!
JadeM
Premium Member

12th Apr 06 at 13:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats pretty fucked up!!!
Jambo

12th Apr 06 at 13:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JadeM
Thats pretty fucked up!!!
Jambo

12th Apr 06 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
Quite lucky that when I stopped after the accident I witnessed where a Pug 205 GTi rolled and I helped them get out of it, I did'nt get the blame. Even after that accident I swore I would never stop and help ever again, not because I'm a heartless bastard but because of the grief I had to go through with the Police, Police coming around to take statments trying to trick me into saying I was racing the car (again I was well behind the 205) and the court case where I had to be a witness.

My recomendation to everyone is to never stop at the scene of the accident unless your actually involved in it.

Sad state of affairs this world is
Nismo

12th Apr 06 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

nothing to do with me

The lads fathers mate uses a forum i go on.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » That lad jailed for 5 years 22 database queries in 0.0214210 seconds