corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Damage to car at trackdays

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Damage to car at trackdays
blebo

User status: Offline
18th May 06 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thinking about taking my car on for a trackday.

But its the main car that we use day to day. MG ZS 1.6 (no comments)

Whats the usual damage that gets caused at a trackday.

I know that the worse case senario is that it ends up on its roof, but how likly is that to happen.

Can I justify this to the missus??
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
18th May 06 at 18:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Brakes, tyres will wear lots so budget for that. Trouble with track day damage is that if you do stack it, its generally a good effort.

[Edited on 18-05-2006 by Ian]
Adam_B

18th May 06 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

very unlikely to roll it aslong as you dont drive like a wanker. As Ian says, tyre wear and brakes are the biggies, but profiding theres a fair bit of meat on it will be fine.
broster
Premium Member

18th May 06 at 19:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you hit the gravel pit, which you may well do, you will end up with gravel everywhere, and no underseal on the bottom of the car. tyres take a hammering, as do brakes
blebo

18th May 06 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tyres and brakes I can cope with, what about body work damage due to gravel etc being flung up, does this occur alot.
broster
Premium Member

18th May 06 at 19:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dependsh ow often you visit the pit
blebo

18th May 06 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tyres might be expensive also.

205/45/17's at £100 a corner!!

New ones on recently thorugh so pleantly life in them yet
Paul_J

18th May 06 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've done 5, some in mine (when standard) some in mine when not, and some in my dads car.

I've never crashed or had any damage.

It looked quite scary, but when your out there it's actually not that bad, just remember to check mirrors and idicate over to let fast cars past.
dna23

18th May 06 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

isn't there also a fee for being removed from the gravel pit?
Adam_B

18th May 06 at 19:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

depends on the circuit. Most places are more pissed off if you run out of fuel out on track, not really an excuse for that so it carries a hefty fine.

[Edited on 18-05-2006 by Adam_B]
dna23

18th May 06 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Adam_B
depends on the circuit. Most places are more pissed off if you run out of fuel out on track, not really an excuse for that so it carries a hefty fine.

[Edited on 18-05-2006 by Adam_B]

i think at silverstone its something like £75 is this reasonable?
Adam_B

18th May 06 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think it depends as well on the sitiuation, i certainly would not be pleased about paying £75 to be towed out of the gravel if some chump infront of me had dropped a load of oil causing me to go off.
dna23

18th May 06 at 19:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah tbh that is true didn't really think of it like that don't really know how happy i'd be doing a track day with other cars on there, any old chap could be driving them and have no clue about whats going on... quite a few risks imo but then i suppose it's the time to really test your car and get out of it what u put in
blebo

18th May 06 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Scared that I turn out to be the random bloke who gets in everybodys way cause I never done it before...I'll end up getting jumped by a dozen angry drivers at the end of the day
Paul_J

18th May 06 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

then make sure you go on a novice session blebo. Novice sessions A ) will be slower and B ) hopefully quieter.

You'll be fine mate.
Paul_J

18th May 06 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats a ZS? like the ZR but 1.6 16v?

should be pretty good.
blebo

18th May 06 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
Whats a ZS? like the ZR but 1.6 16v?

should be pretty good.

Its the bigger one, based on the 45 rover

ajscorsa

18th May 06 at 20:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its great fun buddy , was scared my front time too but as long as your careful you'ull be fine
Fee

18th May 06 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Couple of tips sent for the SIDC trackdays...bit of a read, but quite helpful

quote:

General Notes – Road Cars

Pre-Event checks

a) Make sure the car is in a well maintained condition
b) Check ALL fluid levels and replace the brake fluid if not changed at service specified interval.
c) Check all hoses for signs of leaks, and replace if necessary.
d) Check the condition/pressure of all your tyres, Make a note of the pressures
e) Check your brake pads for condition/thickness, preferably fit new fast road/comp pads
f) Remove any non essential accessories or those not securely fitted.

Suggested Spares to bring with you

a) one set of brake pads at least, front and rear
b) one 5 litre can of oil

Pre-track checks

a) Recheck your tyre pressures, if one is down you may have a slow puncture which could blow when at high speed
b) Increase the tyre pressures by 4-6PSI higher than you run on the road.
c) Ensure you understood the driver briefing (especially the overtaking rules in particular!).
If you are not sure about any aspect, ask for clarification.

Helmets and Seat Belts

a) Seat Belts or harnesses must be worn at all times on the circuit.
b) Helmets must be worn at all times on the circuit by all occupants.

First lap on every run

a) Never thrash your car on the first lap, speed up gradually bringing the oil/water temperatures to normal working parameters.
b) Gently bring the brakes up to temperature
c) Use this lap to get familiar with your new, rather alien surroundings
d) Try and give yourself space front and rear, don't be tempted to follow the car in front too closely as you will be concentrating on them and not your own driving.
e) Get used to checking your mirror before and after each corner, you will be amazed how quickly some cars will catch you if you are a track novice.

Remaining laps

a) Bring up the speed gradually if you are a novice, you will learn more, and less likely to spin.
b) Remember you are there for fun !!
c) If you experience brake fade or a soft pedal, don't think it will go away before the next corner, slow down, it is very likely to be much worse by the next corner. Perform a cooling down lap (or two), and return to the pits.
d) If you feel a power loss coming out of a tight bend - back off and don't keep it planted. You are probably getting the first signs of fuel surge. If you keep it planted you are risking detonation due to a weak mixture. Return to the pits and refuel. This can happen with half a tank of fuel on board, so don't get fooled into thinking it can’t be happening already, it can!

Last lap in

a) Do a slow last lap in and try to avoid using the brakes at all to give the disks/pads some chance to cool down.
b) Monitor your mirrors very closely. There will still be other cars running at full speed!

Entry to pits/stopping

a) enter the pits slowly, look out for pedestrians, it is easy to not hear you coming
b) DO NOT SWITCH OFF YOUR ENGINE
c) allow the engine to idle for at least 2 minutes
d) DO NOT PUT THE HANDBRAKE ON OR SIT WITH YOUR FOOT ON THE BRAKE PEDAL. the above is to stop the pads from being destroyed by the heat sink effect from your red hot brake disks, stop on a level surface or arrange for someone to chock you wheel.
e) let everything cool before your check the following

Post run checks

a) Check the brake pads for wear, you will be amazed how quickly they are used up,
b) Check ALL fluid levels, You may never use oil on the road, you are almost guaranteed to do so on a track day run
c) Check your tyre pressures, if one has dropped you may be on the way to a blow out
d) Check the tyres for wear/cuts
e) Check you are still not wearing a silly cheesy grin

The above guidelines will help you enjoy the day and return home with a healthy car.

the good thing about the crail day is that its completely flat....no dodgy dips etc and if you go off its just loads of flat ground surrounding the track, so not much room for damage.
I'm not entiry sure how they set it up, but doubt the tyres and haybails will cause you much bother

The 1/4 mile strip is used as part of the track....so if you think about how wide that is....you've got plenty of room
bradfincham

18th May 06 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Superb Fee

everything covered

and also dont think your superman or that guys got less power than me

Ive done a track day where a guy in a 1.9 205 gti was untouchable all day

he knew the car and the track and his limits and we couldnt catch him in the 230bhp caterham all day
JadeM
Premium Member

18th May 06 at 21:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go at your own pace otherwise it could all end in tears!! Remember if you damage your own or someone elses car your insurance company will want nothing to do with it!! Unless your taking seperate track insurance
Doug

18th May 06 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fantastic Fee!

Just take your time and make sure you are going out with the novice group. SOmetimes the tracks have guys that will give you some tps etc for free. Or if you see some guys that are shit hot maybe just have a chat with them about some techniques etc.

Can only kill your car if you drive like a tit and not properly
bradfincham

19th May 06 at 10:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Track surface is extremely different to a road, camber of the corners is hugely different.

You have to be extremely smooth on everything, get the gear changes done asap

At donnington i had our kit car sideways, where i just turned in a bit to early, clipped the kerb and the back stepped out, i caught that then it gripped and sent me onto the grass. Was very lucky but i was hadly going fast so shows how easy it really is.

If doing a track day, pay for like 1 hour tuition with an instructor in an exige or somehting.
slugger_54132

19th May 06 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah the instruction is really helpful to help with lines round corners.

Tyres shouldnt be too bad, effects the sidewalls more than the tread itself, but you will kill your brakes if they are standard.

Most people are pretty curtious so its pretty safe.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Damage to car at trackdays 22 database queries in 0.0125930 seconds