corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Toyo Proxes Ripped Open

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Toyo Proxes Ripped Open
M1_CORSA

User status: Offline
23rd May 06 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi,

Had my 17" Dare V1s with Toyo 205/40 R17 Rubber on for the past 8months, the other day i noticed front drivers side was going down slightly - drove down to the petrol station to fill up with air - it had 6PSI in

Pumped it back up to 38, got it home, started going down again - couldn't see any form of puncture within the tyre - drove it again that evening and as i was driving the steering wheel gradually got to a 90degree angle. Decided to stop and take a look - the tyre had come about half an inch off've the Rim (towards the suspension side.

Jacked it up and on changing the wheel noticed the whole of the inside tyre wall was f**ked!!!! It was completely split open.

On the inside of the drivers arch there is a lump - anyone know what this is?? the other side hasn't got one.....

This "lump" has been rubbing on my tyre every now again again - at full lock etc and has worn it away and made the inner lining quite sharp.

Anyone have any ideas or similar experiences when fitting 17s??

I'm now rolling on 3x 17s and a 13 for a week - looks POOR!!!

Matt
carnuts

23rd May 06 at 14:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine has been on 17s for ages not really had a problem i catch the inner arch a tiny bit on the front when on full lock but not as bad as yours
M1_CORSA

23rd May 06 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you know what that lump thing is tho? whats it covering?

My poor Toyos!!! I'll get some pics on here when i get a chance and show u the damage
ed

23rd May 06 at 14:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The lump covers the carbon canister which is used to ventilate the fuel tank. I can't undertand why it's damaged your tyre though as the plastic the inner arch is made from is softer than the tyre. However, you should have removed the inner arches before you fitted the wheels to prevent any rubbing. Though it's strange you are having problems because my 18's only catch on the inner arches while turning from lock to lock.
M1_CORSA

24th May 06 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So you think i should've completely removed the inner arch?? Wont this expose the indicator wires etc?? bit dangerous in the wet isn't it??

Whats everyone else done with their Corsa on 17s lowered 40mm on Pi springs??
Marc

24th May 06 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are these the same offset as others have used with no problems? Could tracking be an issue?
X 60RSA

24th May 06 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

38 psi in your tyre, seems alot to me, 30-32 is about right?

If you've been running that sort of PSi for a while, was the inside of your tyre bald?

The reason it has probably split open is due to running little pressure in the tyre.

Running low profile tyres and a fair bit of camber puts alot of pressure on the inside of the tyre/wall.

Just check your tracking and keep an eye on your tyres frequently.
ed

24th May 06 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think it should be 28 PSI in the rear and 32 in th front for normal driving.

As for the inner arch you should remove it. Get some pictures up though I'm astounded the inner arch actually managed to damage the tyre.
M1_CORSA

25th May 06 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll take some pictures tonight and stick them on this post. Perhaps i shouldn't have put 40psi in, i'll remember that.

That inner arch is really sharp where its rubbed a whole in it.

The pictures can only tell

Thanks for all your help!!
big eck

25th May 06 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

40psi is wayyyyy to much 30 - 32 is about right for any car
ed

25th May 06 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea, that could be the problem. Thats a dangerous pressure. You're asking for blowouts and mega understeer.
corsa-sxi

26th May 06 at 10:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i hear a funny noise yesterday too, last week i checked pressure at 5psi! so i took it to garage thinking it was a slow punture, but the inside wall has a split in it too!
glad i noticed before PVS!
Teknologikal

27th May 06 at 00:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Standard PSI should be 32 on front and 30 on back (average).

Sounds gutting mate, will have to choose my alloys very carefully methinks.

New Poll