corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Need your help please.Braking!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Need your help please.Braking!
Lazarus1

User status: Offline
12th Jul 06 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just replaced my old brake disks and brake pads on my 1.4 16v Corsa B.
1.The new disks are QH brakes(made in GB),and Delta brake pads.Are they any good?(the disk dimension is the same as the OEM one)
2.Can i brake as hard as i want with the new system,cause the mechanic told me it's ok to brake hard cause the disks and pads are brand new.
But when i tested them the braking was worse than my old brakes and the car goes sideways.He told me that the rear is braking harder than the front cause the disks and pads are new and that it will improve in a few days of normal braking after they have beded in.How many miles do you recon it will take?
3.There was a vibrating feeling on the brake pedal before and the vibrating is still there!!!Thought that it was because of warped disks but it turned out not be....The mechanic told me that it has something to do with the rear brake shoes.Cause my tracking is ok,wheels are balanced.
Please help me,if you can answer these 3 questions i would be greatful cause i'm starting to think than there's not one competent mechanic in this blody coutry!
dna23

12th Jul 06 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1. Not sure Vauxhall brakes are the best iirc unless you're spending silly money on 4 pots .etc

2. Don't just go out and brake hard you need to bed your brakes in... http://corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=288304
Lazarus1

12th Jul 06 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dna23
i didnt understand your answer to my 1st question?Quinton Hazell is Vauxhall?
And i did about a dozen emergency braking on my way home to test the brakes
Hope i didn't mess something up??
Ok i'll do normal gentle braking in the next 100miles to let them bed in.Hope the braking will improve and that the rear end wont throw me of the road any more.
dna23

12th Jul 06 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry didn't realise they were genuine vauxhall stuff

My brakes were crap when i fitted them but then i bedded them in and they're quality now just give them time mate and take it easy... read that thread it should help!

Also, have you lowered your car? Usually that affects the brake bias and can cause your back end to step out as you describe,
Lazarus1

12th Jul 06 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did read your thread mate,and the car has been lowered for ages and the braking was spot on.I think that the rear steps out cause the front brakes aren't that good cause they need to bed in.Would you agree?
Changing front brakes and brake disks cannot affect the brake bias,right?
about the brake fluid it wasn't replaced or anything,the mechanic just told me to pump the brake untill i get the normal feel?do you think we did the procedure right?Do you think the system needed bleeding?

[Edited on 12-07-2006 by Lazarus1]
dna23

12th Jul 06 at 15:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He should have done something along the lines of this:

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=219303

Not sure on how changing brakes would effect the rear stepping out but lowering your car should... changing the brakes may have just enhanced this. Did you adjust your brake bias valve or disconnect it?
Lazarus1

12th Jul 06 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I really don't know.
I don't understand brake bias valve....but i think that i understand more than this mechanic and that pisses me off...i told him this:
"You will now need to bleed the brake system. On ABS modles the curcuits are split front and back. On non-ABS models the brakes are split diagonally, so you bleed the front left caliper then the rear right and so on. However, if you clamped the brake hoses and did no loose a lot of brake fluid it is only neccesary to bleed the front brakes on ther own, the case would be the same on ABS modles as the rear brakes are on a different curcuit."

But he thinks other wise.The link you just sent me i've red it 10 times before but i'm not a mechanic and i don't understand this things.

Thank you for your time dna23,i realy appriciate it....i'll see what i'm gonna do with this problem,but i'm sure i wont be taking my car to his garage anymore.
scaramanga

13th Jul 06 at 17:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no need to bleed brakes when changing pads n discs just push piston on caliper all the way in with prybar.but take cap off reseviour first.
bubble

13th Jul 06 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i remember havin new pads n discs on mine and rear shoes n drums-i had poopy brakes for about 4 hours!!
Chris_Sport

13th Jul 06 at 21:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just changed the front discs and pads on mine and it has taken about 2 weeks for them to get anywhere near reasonable again. Probably done about 500 miles. Only use them lightly for the next few hundred miles. You probably notice the back stepping out more because the back brakes are better than the front at the moment.
Lazarus1

14th Jul 06 at 00:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for all the replies guys,i really appriciate it.

New Poll