corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » ultimate or optimax

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author ultimate or optimax
a_j_mair

User status: Offline
18th Jul 06 at 08:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

which is the best and are they significantly better than just unleaded?

since got the new car just been putting ultimate in it as i go past 2 BP garages on way to work.

just wondering if it is worth th £105.9 that it is costing me
DarkBahamut

18th Jul 06 at 08:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fifth gear tested them and Optimax is better, but only if your car/engine can make any use of it at all that is.
whitter45

18th Jul 06 at 08:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Out the 2 mentioned optimax although I'm running tesco 99 RON at the moment - runs better than optimax IMO
Brett
Premium Member

18th Jul 06 at 08:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sainsburys 97RON Super 93p - Bargain
Dean_W

18th Jul 06 at 08:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used to buy Optimax, but the price has gone stupid. I didn't mind when it was under a quid.

Now it's sainsburys Super Unleaded for me. 95.9p.
a_j_mair

18th Jul 06 at 08:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i also get nectar points at BP

so we reckon optimax is the best bet?
AdiSRI

18th Jul 06 at 08:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no tesco 99 is the best bet, if theres a tesco local to you that does it, collect clubcard points with it and get money off too.

the 99 ron local to me is 97.9 so quite reasonable, i use it in my teg, and most places reccomend it.

My dad took his monero to be mapped and they told him to stop using optimax and to use tesco 99 instead, as optimax goes off in 3 days or somesuch.
Steve
Premium Member

18th Jul 06 at 08:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i find ultimate works better in mine for some reason, mines mapped to use 97/98/99/100 ron fuel and for some reason ultimate feels better even though its lower octane than optimax, anyway there is no shell garages nearby and about 100 BP so iv got not much choice
Ditch

18th Jul 06 at 09:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the only engines which are really going to benefit a higher octane fuel are either heavily modified or Japanese.

Banzai mag did a proper dyno test, using a 500+bhp engine run on different fuels, and advancing the timing as much as they could get away with on each fuel.

they came to the conclusion that Optimax was better than the rest (it gave the biggest bhp figure for a start!) simply because its good fuel...

tescos 99ron uses additives to acheive a higher octane, which isnt ideal.
a_j_mair

18th Jul 06 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so in my ibiza cupra r i would be aswell using normal fuel?

says on the petrol cap 98ron
DarkBahamut

18th Jul 06 at 09:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well i saw a video of the fifth gear test. They tested something like a small engined clio (or something), a mk5 Golf GTI and a scooby. The cilo gained nothing, the GTI got a few bhp at the most and the only thing that got any real gains was the scooby (which gained 20 ish bhp i believe). You'll probabaly get some gains in your car but it may only be a few bhp if its stock.
Stu

18th Jul 06 at 10:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Optimax all the way but if your running a naturally aspirated car thats deigned for UK fuel then dont waste your money. It wont do shoot!
whitter45

18th Jul 06 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you will notice a difference on cars that can adjust their knock sensors ie turbo cars and highly tuned N/A such as Vtec's

Finding clean optimax is hard as it not well used due to price so tends to sit in petrol station tanks for a long time

Subaru owners especially have commented on how they run on optimax
Jambo

18th Jul 06 at 10:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tesco fuel is cheaper for a reason.
whitter45

18th Jul 06 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

comes from the same refineries as others though so explain the difference
Dean_W

18th Jul 06 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Found this about Optimax: -

quote:
It is produced from a completely different base product than all other gasoline products available. The base fuel used is more highly refined than normal gasoline, hence the superior performance. Also the additive package used amongst other things is extremely effective in cleaning the engine inlet tract and combustion chambers. When used in engines that have previously only used "normal" gasoline, (which often result in very dirty valve tulips and inlet tracts) Optimax cleans these components to an as new condition! and I mean "as New".
For added info, which some might already know. ALL fuels sold in UK except Shell Optimax, are basically and often literally, exactly the same base product in to which each company puts in their own additive package. i.e you will see all kinds of tankers filling up at a Shell distribution site, Texaco, Esso, BP, Sainsburys, Tesco etc. etc. and they all fill up with exactly the same base fuel, i.e. they all share distribution points in order to reduced transport costs, but each company will add its own additive package at the filling gantry. Some additive packages are not as good as others! So next time your filling up at the supermarket ask yourself why the fuel is cheaper than other petrol stations, when it all comes from the same place and is exactly the same base fuel. The quality and dose rate of additives makes a lot of difference in engine performance, wear, cleanliness, emissions etc. etc. etc.[quote/]

[Edited on 18-07-2006 by Dean_W]
Steve
Premium Member

18th Jul 06 at 10:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ditch
the only engines which are really going to benefit a higher octane fuel are either heavily modified or Japanese.

Banzai mag did a proper dyno test, using a 500+bhp engine run on different fuels, and advancing the timing as much as they could get away with on each fuel.

they came to the conclusion that Optimax was better than the rest (it gave the biggest bhp figure for a start!) simply because its good fuel...

tescos 99ron uses additives to acheive a higher octane, which isnt ideal.

i cannot use 95ron in my car and mines niether heavily modified or japanese, if i use 95 ron i risk pre ignition
TNM

18th Jul 06 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there was a big long thread on the MR2 forums about tesco 99 petrol.

Some place were getting less power than running normal super market petrol unless the car has been mapped to run on it.

Most cars wont make use of the difference in octane rating. Shel Optimax is good stuff and has been proven on numerous tests.

Stu

18th Jul 06 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If your car has a knock sensor with an ECU that can retard and advance ignition timing when it senses high or low levels of knock then you will notice a difference.

You will notice more of a difference on a turbocharged car as they are much more prone to knock due to the extra temps they run. The main reason you run a high octane fuel tho isnt for power - The higher a fuels RON rating the more resistant to detonation it is - So its a safety thing.

Marc

18th Jul 06 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I filled up with Tesco 99 Ron last week as the Shell garage is getting new pumps. Havn't noticed any bad changes from using their fuel and its a bit cheaper too.
Cybermonkey

18th Jul 06 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i use 101RON Optimax Extreme, its the shizniz
Marc

18th Jul 06 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you notice any differance in the Barina Davey?
Cybermonkey

18th Jul 06 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a massive difference over 91/95 in the behaviour of the engine. when i use bog standard stuff, the engine is gruff, shakes a little on idle, generally feels like its being fueled on shite. once a full tank of 101 goes in, engine quietens down so its almost silent on tickover, everything is smooth, no jerky throttle, pulls hard to the redline with no stuttering like 91/95.

whats more, when im taking it easy i get at least an extra 100km's from a tank, simply because i can stay in 5th to climb hills on part throttle, using the torque rather than dropping a cog and getting the revs up. IMO, ethanol mix fuel is the future
Marc

18th Jul 06 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds good. Surprised by the 95 stuff though...
Cybermonkey

18th Jul 06 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mostly 91RON marc, the beep beep barina feckin hates that stuff in fact i dont think it should be used in the Z18XE

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » ultimate or optimax 22 database queries in 0.0136409 seconds