corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Battery

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Battery
TimHarrison

User status: Offline
1st Aug 06 at 15:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey,

right...

a couple of days ago, the switch for me boot solenoid just stopped working completely. then i tried to take out the rad/cassette but knackered it instead. shortly after this i left the lights on overnight.

since then i've been trying to charge the battery with a mains charger, which works fine. the problem is when i leave the car for a few hours without starting it, the battery loses its charge. i'm sure the alternator's fine, and the battery's ok.

my question is this:

could it be that the rad/cass or boot solenoid is draining the battery? i read in a similar post that if amps aren't installed properly they can drain the battery.....maybe it's similar to that??? (i don't have any amps btw)

cheers,
tim
Dean_W

1st Aug 06 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How do you know that the battery is fine?

Sounds to me like the battery is not holding it's charge.
mattievRS

1st Aug 06 at 15:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dean_W
How do you know that the battery is fine?

Sounds to me like the battery is not holding it's charge.

Sounds like a good answer to me!!
TimHarrison

1st Aug 06 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i put a different battery in, which didn't work at all.
it was in me mates shed for a couple of years, but i did spend 12hrs charging it first.

any suggestions?

[Edited on 01-08-2006 by TimHarrison]
Ian
Site Administrator

1st Aug 06 at 16:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Battery would be my first guess. Your other choice is measure the current drain with an ammeter. It would need to be loads, ie. something visible switched on, like the amp is wired to perminant live, but if your remote wire is switching correctly that wouldn't happen. Check for LEDs on, white noise from speakers etc.

Also try disconnecting the earth from the amp and see if the problem is still apparent. In fact you could try disconnecting the earth at the battery see if it holds a charge. If not and there's definately nothing drawing current then the battery is definately goosed.
TimHarrison

1st Aug 06 at 16:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

righto,

cheers bud

[Edited on 01-08-2006 by TimHarrison]
Ben ev

1st Aug 06 at 16:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if a battery drops below a certain voltage then it needs to go on a slow drip charge to bring it back up. think its below about 9v bolt not an electrical wizard! the guys at my work sort mine out though when i let it drain that low.

New Poll