corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Technical Query - Gearbox/Flywheel

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Technical Query - Gearbox/Flywheel
Freeparty

User status: Offline
24th Oct 06 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hello All! Just signed up to see if anyone can provide me with a little technical help. I couldnt find the tuning/performance section so I hope I havent placed this post in the incorrect section.

Basically I want a lighter flywheel for my 1.4 16v Ecotec engine (1996 Vauxhall Corsa(B) Sport). I presume this engine uses a Bell flywheel design and not a flat flywheel. I want to know if a flywheel and clutch that is on the older 14XE engine (1.4 8v nova) will fit onto my Ecotec engine and gearbox.

The reason I want to know this is that I can get hold of a light flywheel and clutch for a 14XE engine and want to know if I can fit it onto my Ecotec. If not is it possible with any modifications? If its a no go at all, any ideas how to go about lightening the flywheel setup on the ecotec engines?

Another quick one... What other gearboxes are available (off other vauxhall cars) that would be compatible with my setup, as I would like to reduce the revs when going high speeds on the motorway...maybe a 6 speed? or a 5 speed off a higher spec car? Corsa GSI/SRI 1.6 or Astra 1.6 Ecotec?

Thanks in advance!

Dave

[Edited on 25-10-2006 by Ian]
csweatherston

24th Oct 06 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes, the flat type flywheel/clutch set up will work fine....
just guessing you have a 'pot type flywheels currently?

what box do you have at the moment?.....probly the f15 cr (close ratio)....if you want to increase ratio...go for a plain f15, or f14
csweatherston

24th Oct 06 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

f28 is 6 speed, i know of one for sale if your intrested (there pricey mind)
Freeparty

24th Oct 06 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sound thats good that the flywheel will fit. I reckon a five speed would be fine and cheaper/easier to get hold of, the 1.4 might struggle a bit with an f28?. I have de-catted and done away with the air box for a K&N though, The flywheel is the next step. While I'm on the subject, what other mods can you do to an Ecotec engine? other than cams. I'm familiar with the XE engines but I'm not sure what tuning options are open to an Ecotec engine?

Also I'm not sure what box and flywheel I have at the moment, Ive been told its most likely not a flat-type flywheel (I dont really know much about Ecotec's). The car is a 1996 Corsa B 1.4 16v sport if thats any help towards diagnosing the the type of box I have. It does 70Mph at 3500RPM currently and would like to get it down a tad. What cars would a plain F15 be from and would it fit straight on? I presume the F14 is 4-speed?

Thanks for the help!

matt_aka_smiler

25th Oct 06 at 00:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you could buy a dblias/mantzel/lexmaul inlet and get it remaped with a higher rev limit to about 109 bhp. if you did you would need ARP conrod bolts the strengthen the engine and some SBD rollers. throttle bodies are the next step giving more power and torque through the rev range making the power more usable but there more expensive. it depends what you want from the car realy
Ian
Site Administrator

25th Oct 06 at 04:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

F28 won't fix your engine. Block is different.

The number is the torque rating, F15 for 150 ft/lb, 28 for 280 etc.

F14 would be rated at 140.

There are a variety of ratio configurations for each torque rating, probably of most interest to you is the F15WR wide ratio if you currently have a CR close ratio.

You'll generally find this fitted to lower spec models for the same engine power, ie. 1400/1600 LS Astra etc. although it is a bit pot luck. There is not much consistency in what you'll find.

New Poll