corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Graduate Schemes

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Graduate Schemes
James

User status: Offline
26th Oct 06 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are they any good?

Pros and cons?
James

26th Oct 06 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

stuartmitchell

26th Oct 06 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wouldn't know mate, they all told me to G-T-F

Personally I wouldn't start in a big company, make your mark in a smaller firm then go in higher in the big firm

Just my opinion though
Cosmo

26th Oct 06 at 21:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Me and the GF are both graduating this year from Business degrees.

She is looking into graduate schemes...I am not! From some of the ones I have read of hers they arent too bad though, most seem to be around 26k a year (most is about 32k), and have a lot of other benefits such as continual training, good perks (long holidays, private health, etc.)

I persoanlly cant work for anyone though, just cant take being told what to do...so will be setting something up on my own!
Jules S
Premium Member

26th Oct 06 at 21:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
Me and the GF are both graduating this year from Business degrees.

She is looking into graduate schemes...I am not! From some of the ones I have read of hers they arent too bad though, most seem to be around 26k a year (most is about 32k), and have a lot of other benefits such as continual training, good perks (long holidays, private health, etc.)

I persoanlly cant work for anyone though, just cant take being told what to do...so will be setting something up on my own!

Aren't these sort of things created for the CPD (wrong phrase i know) towards a chartership?
Cosmo

26th Oct 06 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jules S
Aren't these sort of things created for the CPD (wrong phrase i know) towards a chartership?

you may aswell be speaking arabic as didnt understand any of that....sorry!
corsa5dr

26th Oct 06 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Graduate Schemes are perfect IMO. Salaries will range from 18-30k depending on location and degree. My mate is on 23k with the KPMG scheme.

Youll usually get to see various areas of the organisation aswell and you really get looked after as they are investing a lot of time and money in you.

Ive just started on the MoD Commercial Business Graduate Scheme. Its really good. £20k starting salary (Bristol), Pension, Flexible working hours, 28 days holiday, healthcare, gym membership etc and they pay for whatever training you want to do. I should be obtaining my CIPS (chartered institue of purchasing and supply) within 3 years.

After the 2 year scheme where I get moved around fifferent positions I will get regraded into a permanent role and have a pay rise to approx 27-30k.

Edit- I look Business Studies at UWE (Bristol) 1st Class Hons.

[Edited on 26-10-2006 by corsa5dr]
Jules S
Premium Member

26th Oct 06 at 21:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

you may aswell be speaking arabic as didnt understand any of that....sorry!

Ok....I thought if you were doing a business degree it would be part of the course

No offence at the mind you.

It's my understanding that you

a/. graduate

b/. sign youself up to a fixed term contract/agreement with an employer thats long enough to get chartered in your profession

and

c/. basically tie yourself to that company after you get chartered to make b/. worthwhile for the employer

Pros and cons methinks
corsa5dr

26th Oct 06 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It only works like that in some circumstances Jules. A lot of grads will get sponsored to do CIMA, CIPD, CIPS etc but many others wont. All depends on the company and the nature of the scheme e.g Finance.
Jules S
Premium Member

26th Oct 06 at 21:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa5dr
It only works like that in some circumstances Jules. A lot of grads will get sponsored to do CIMA, CIPD, CIPS etc but many others wont. All depends on the company and the nature of the scheme e.g Finance.

yeah, i guessed that might well be the case.

I know a few peeps doing them....employed in major aerospace companies...good short term job security, but they are married to the firm in the short(ish) term though

Cosmo

26th Oct 06 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Ok....I thought if you were doing a business degree it would be part of the course

No offence at the mind you.

no offence taken...I said I was doing a degree not paying attention whilst doing it
Jules S
Premium Member

26th Oct 06 at 21:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive gotta say i do find some of the posts on here quite strange though.

Internet boasting aside..it's my (unenviable) task to interview and employ graduates. Not wishing to rock the boat, but they are usually fcuking useless.

As a sort of rule of thumb....if i employ someone who knows what they are doing they could command 25-30k.....because they can earn me some fees.

I can get an MSc graduate with no experience for 12-15k.

Speaks volumes about getting a placement while at Uni tbh
Cosmo

26th Oct 06 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there are 1000's of placements out there for graduates though. The missus had just picked out a few companies (probably about 6 or 7) and between those they were looking to take on over 5000 business grads.

So from all those who do go into a graduate scheme (and werent picked out prior to actually applying themselves) once you take off the best of them your going to be left with some stupid arses getting these jobs!
Jules S
Premium Member

26th Oct 06 at 22:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
there are 1000's of placements out there for graduates though. The missus had just picked out a few companies (probably about 6 or 7) and between those they were looking to take on over 5000 business grads.

So from all those who do go into a graduate scheme (and werent picked out prior to actually applying themselves) once you take off the best of them your going to be left with some stupid arses getting these jobs!

So who chooses who Cosmo?

I need to be enlightened here...do the employers cherry pick the graduates or do the graduates choose the employers?

Im guessing the former and those that don't get the dross
corsa5dr

26th Oct 06 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

First degree Graduates with a good degree and little experience can get roles that pay 20k+ with ease. Particular professions put more emphasis on experience. With Business and similar degrees as long as you display the competences they are looking for your experience level doesnt have a massive impact.

There 1000's of people who go to Uni to doss about and dont and dont try, they usually end up with a 2:2 or 3rd class and think they can walk into a job without any work towards interviews and marketing themselves. Im not surprised you get a lot of useless ones going for interviews!

Despite what is said by non grads about graduates being 'useless' , you only need to see the investment all the major companies put into their graduate schemes to see that they think otherwise. The application process tends to whittle out the muppets.
corsa5dr

26th Oct 06 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Graduates choose who they apply for. You rarely here of an employer headhunting a graduate!

Its just that the best companies attract the best graduates and the muppets cant apply for the best companies because of the entry requirements; which naturally means the smaller organisations get the leftovers! Such is the way of the employment market!
Cosmo

26th Oct 06 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I need to be enlightened here...do the employers cherry pick the graduates or do the graduates choose the employers?

Im guessing the former and those that don't get the dross

Going by my Uni (Manchester Victoria) there are a few companies who are continually tracking certain students throught their last years and these are the ones who get picked out rather than applying. This may not be by firms who have the huge graduate schemes but who take maybe 4 or 5 on a year who they know are the best of the best.

Im not saying the rest that are left are the shit, but the really really good ones wont be going on these graduate schemes.
Cosmo

26th Oct 06 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
You rarely here of an employer headhunting a graduate!

not at my Uni
whitter45

26th Oct 06 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

like its been stated I found graduate schemes hard to come by when I graduated but does lead to a fast track to chartership

However having worked in engineering now for nearly 3 years i fgeel qualifications have very little relevance past degree level. Its more experience etc that counts.

In a perfect world chartership would be great but I feel I would progress much the same without it

It also depends what field of work your in obviously
corsa5dr

26th Oct 06 at 22:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
You rarely here of an employer headhunting a graduate!

not at my Uni

Really!? I've only heard about it a couple of times, and thats always been in London! Must be some sh1t hot students in Manchester then!
Cosmo

26th Oct 06 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Really!? I've only heard about it a couple of times, and thats always been in London! Must be some sh1t hot students in Manchester then!

I know when I applied and it was Manchester Victoria Uni it was regarded very highly for its business part (I had to get 4 A's at A level to get in). Im not sure if this is still the case since it merged with UMIST (not MET!).

But saying that Im on a 1st and not been asked to do any
whitter45

26th Oct 06 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I went to UMIST and god only knows why they merged

Oh yes I do because of money

They should ahve kept UMIST as a school of excellence in engineering
Cosmo

26th Oct 06 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by whitter45
I went to UMIST and god only knows why they merged

Oh yes I do because of money

They should ahve kept UMIST as a school of excellence in engineering

Money, resources and they both had a good name in different areas!
corsa5dr

26th Oct 06 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im sure youll do fine searching yourself with a 1st. Guaranteed interview invitation with most employers in my experience.
Cosmo

26th Oct 06 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Im sure youll do fine searching yourself with a 1st. Guaranteed interview invitation with most employers in my experience.

no need TBH. Will start something up from scatch on my own, not interested in getting into a company and moving up!

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Graduate Schemes 22 database queries in 0.0136628 seconds