corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Liverpool Myths (Zonal Marking, Rotation, Gerrard and Crouch)

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Liverpool Myths (Zonal Marking, Rotation, Gerrard and Crouch)
Cosmo

User status: Offline
1st Nov 06 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK, Ive taken this info from a great article Ive just read on the LFC website (see here) and thought Id post some of it here. Alot of it is common sense and what I have been saying to people for a while now, but still the press and other fans still had (and still do) a go at Liverpool for these things...

Zonal Marking

In 2005/06 the Reds conceded only four league goals from corners and indirect free-kicks; or one every nine games, compared with Chelsea, the next-best team, and their rate of one every six games.

This season the Reds' figure stands at one such goal conceded from ten league games, and that was way back on the opening day; so a further improvement. And yet still, despite all this, not a single game goes by without zonal marking being mentioned by commentators, with the inference that Liverpool are dodgy at set pieces.

Gerrard better in the centre

Last season for Liverpool, Gerrard played over 1500 minutes on the right of midfield, compared with more than 2600 minutes centrally (split fairly evenly between a standard midfield role, and that of the second forward).

But Liverpool won by far the most points (in all competitions, using three points for cup wins as well) when he was on the right wing: 2.30 per game, compared with 1.89 when central.

Crouch isnt a goal scorer

Eight goals for Crouch for the Reds this season, and 21 in total. Add 11 for England, and you have 32 goals in a fraction less than 11 months. Include his Southampton goals since the start of 2005 and it takes him to 42 in two months short of two years.

Rotation doesnt work

What I don't get is that going into last weekend's fixtures, Benítez had made only one change more than Alex Ferguson in the Premiership: 30, to 29. Chelsea were the third-most rotated team. So rotation, as a concept, doesn't work?

In the last 100 games (99 of which were rotated sides) Liverpool have won 60 of those games. None of these games were against any team lower than middle of the Championship, and also included 10 against Chelsea, 4 against Utd, and European Cup, World Club Championship and FA Cup finals (2 of which we won).

So the rotation doesnt work?!
Robbo

1st Nov 06 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Arsenal do this sort of thing occasionally and it always makes me chuckle
Cosmo

1st Nov 06 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
Arsenal do this sort of thing occasionally and it always makes me chuckle

Is by a journalist, but obviously a Liverpool fan! Makes some sense though, as all the comments by the papers and commentators during games is utter bullshit as they havent gone over the facts. This just backs that up!
RyanSxi

1st Nov 06 at 13:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the crouch one isnt fair tho, in x amount of months etc. because with the rotation if means in say 12 months he played half the amount of games as say henry or rooney. but do they have twice the goals?
Cosmo

1st Nov 06 at 13:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by RyanSxi
the crouch one isnt fair tho, in x amount of months etc. because with the rotation if means in say 12 months he played half the amount of games as say henry or rooney. but do they have twice the goals?

Yeah Id like to see it goals per mins on pitch
Jamie Walby

1st Nov 06 at 15:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Liverpool can G.T.F. with their history.
Marc

1st Nov 06 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cosmo

1st Nov 06 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Walby

never mentioned history
Tom

1st Nov 06 at 15:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A part of it has just resigned noel 'I hate benitez' white loving the support the board have got for benitez

Cosmo

1st Nov 06 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tom
A part of it has just resigned noel 'I hate benitez' white loving the support the board have got for benitez

Yeah, its about time more clubs did the same and give the manager plenty of time without getting on their backs, even through a tough bad patch. Glad he was forced to come out and name himself aswell as step down.
Robbo

1st Nov 06 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its worked for us!!

Arsene basically runs the club and thats how he likes it!!
Jamie Walby

1st Nov 06 at 21:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
quote:

never mentioned history

I thought I would get in before you

Cosmo

1st Nov 06 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I thought I would get in before you

I was going to put something in there about history just for you but decided against it...seems out history just isnt a myth

Jamie Walby

1st Nov 06 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A myth dated many many years ago
Cosmo

1st Nov 06 at 22:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
A myth dated many many years ago

yes, thats what history is
J da Silva

1st Nov 06 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't agree with the info posted initially, it's horses for courses, rotation may work for a different set of players, but for Liverpool it does not, league tables don't lie.
Cosmo

1st Nov 06 at 23:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jizinho Silva 10
I don't agree with the info posted initially, it's horses for courses, rotation may work for a different set of players, but for Liverpool it does not, league tables don't lie.

neither do the stats for the last 100 games, 60% won
J da Silva

1st Nov 06 at 23:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As I said in a previous post, history means nothing right now, they need to deal with the present, and what's happening in the present is not working.

[Edited on 01-11-2006 by Jizinho Silva 10]
Cosmo

1st Nov 06 at 23:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes I know that, but what that shows is that rotation isnt the problem as this has been done with the same set of players with excellent results. Its only the last 10-15 games that havent been the best...mainly down to our big name players not performing.
J da Silva

1st Nov 06 at 23:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just think he feels obliged to change things because of the criticism Liverpool have received for winning European tournaments but failing to win their domestic league lately.
Cosmo

1st Nov 06 at 23:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I just think he feels obliged to change things because of the criticism Liverpool have received for winning European tournaments but failing to win their domestic league lately.

but he was changing the team before he won the Champions League. And he changed his team all the time whilst at Valencia
J da Silva

1st Nov 06 at 23:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
quote:

but he was changing the team before he won the Champions League. And he changed his team all the time whilst at Valencia

I never said he didn't, but these tactics aren't getting him anywhere 'now'.
Cosmo

1st Nov 06 at 23:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I never said he didn't, but these tactics aren't getting him anywhere 'now'.

yeah thats what this post is saying though, the current form isnt due to his rotation as the exact same players have won things under this system. Its due to just a poor lack of form for most the top players.
J da Silva

1st Nov 06 at 23:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So would you say Gerrard has his head down because he's being played as a right winger as opposed to a central general? Or do you think it's because he's a bit tired?

Crouch is scoring on demand at the minute, IMO he should be in the team every week, but he seems to have a soft spot for that welsh waster instead.

Gerrard over Sissoko in central midfield? You know Gerrard plays with his heart for Liverpool in that position, Sissoko has no emotional links to the club, I know who I'd pick to play alongside Alonso.
Cosmo

1st Nov 06 at 23:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
So would you say Gerrard has his head down because he's being played as a right winger as opposed to a central general? Or do you think it's because he's a bit tired?

Crouch is scoring on demand at the minute, IMO he should be in the team every week, but he seems to have a soft spot for that welsh waster instead.

Gerrard over Sissoko in central midfield? You know Gerrard plays with his heart for Liverpool in that position, Sissoko has no emotional links to the club, I know who I'd pick to play alongside Alonso.

Gerrard just isnt on form, as Rooney hasnt been, nothing to do with position. He played the majority on the right last season and scored 23 playing great football. And when you say RW its not actually on the RW, he has freedom to come inside and if you watch alot of Liverpool games you will see he does alot.

Bellamy hasnt been getting used alot reallt TBH, and has been injured lately.

Gerrard is in his best position IMO, he has the freedom to do as he likes from that right hand side with next to NO defensive duties.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Liverpool Myths (Zonal Marking, Rotation, Gerrard and Crouch) 23 database queries in 0.0170269 seconds