corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's, opinions?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's, opinions?
davey_jack

User status: Offline
5th Dec 06 at 22:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I got my corsa SRi on the road about 2 months ago, I bought a full set of 195/45/16 Goodyear GSD3's, which cost me about 200 quid. I dont every wheelspin intentionally, ive done it by accident a couple of times pulling away in the wet and cold. The tyres have only done around 3000 miles, and the fronts are starting to go bald, the wear is even across the front two. They have been great tyres and have gripped really well, but i just never expected them to wear this quickly, is this normal? Or should I be asking for my money back?
Robin
Premium Member

5th Dec 06 at 22:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

firstly, you won't get your money back, not a chance.

secondly, they don't wear as quickly as that normally, so it's down to your driving.
davey_jack

5th Dec 06 at 22:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But I dont drive outrageously fast or anything, stick to the speed limits almost all the time as i drive in and out of london alot. And the front two are on like the legal limit, and the rears are like brand new!
Half Pint

5th Dec 06 at 23:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You said that you did alot of town driving that means your starting and stopping lots which causes more wear than driving on a motorway, this on top of soft rubber means for a short life.

BTW, many thanks for the bumpers it appreciated!
davey_jack

5th Dec 06 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No problem mate id like to see them go to good use, I would be taking the piss really if i asked for money for a pair of old grey bumpers!
Another thing I wondered is what should my tyre pressures be at, I was running them all at around 32psi, is this about right for a corsa on 195/45/16's?
Robin
Premium Member

5th Dec 06 at 23:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

27/28 in the back
Dav

5th Dec 06 at 23:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you checked your wheel alignment etc.?
I've had 215/40/17 Goodyear Eagle F1's on my Astra since April, done average miles and don't have any signs of balding yet.
ed

5th Dec 06 at 23:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I never wheelspin. I think you sir need to learn to drive.
Robin
Premium Member

5th Dec 06 at 23:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

normally only attacks the edges though Dav.
Half Pint

5th Dec 06 at 23:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dav
I've had 215/40/17 Goodyear Eagle F1's on my Astra since April, done average miles and don't have any signs of balding yet.

it was even wear across the whole tyre where as wheel alignment usually affects only one edge, or so i thought?
davey_jack

5th Dec 06 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
I never wheelspin. I think you sir need to learn to drive.

Quite capable of driving, just when I have pulled away quickly from traffic lights, the wheels have lost traction briefly, not like I rev to 6000 rpm and then let the clutch up everytime I pull away!
davey_jack

5th Dec 06 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Half Pint
quote:
Originally posted by Dav

it was even wear across the whole tyre where as wheel alignment usually affects only one edge, or so i thought?

Yeah I was under the same impression, is there any way of calculating roughly what your tyre pressures should be? As I know what they should be for the standard wheels and tyres, but I know for a fact it must be different with lower profile tyres.
Dav

5th Dec 06 at 23:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok sorry, it was just a suggestion.
I think I ran my 195/45/16" Fuldas on my Corsa at 32/30 on the back and didn't get any over wear, if that's any help on the size and pressure question.
davey_jack

5th Dec 06 at 23:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers mate, no need to appologise, was just wondering if I was right in assuming that. Is that 32 on the front and 30 at the back? I ran mine at 32 all round anyway, so cant really be a problem with tyre pressures!
Fonz
Premium Member

5th Dec 06 at 23:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no idea what so ever about the tyre wear, but if your that worried would it be worth considering swapping with the rear?
you only mention the fronts, as they do all the work why not swap?

just a suggestion.
Robin
Premium Member

5th Dec 06 at 23:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

don't put the worn tyres on the back, more grip on the front means lots of oversteer.
DAYZEE

5th Dec 06 at 23:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had F1's on the back of my MR2 Turbo for nearly 10K. I'm not even going to try and suggest they lead an easy life! They gripped all the way to the markers, outstanding tyres.
Doug

6th Dec 06 at 00:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have them all round on the BMW, SO HARD to oose traction in the dry on the back now
Doug_SRi

6th Dec 06 at 05:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im away to order some 235/35/19s for my astra. my brother is running them on his mk4 gsi turbo and has always chosen eagle f1s for his previous cars
corsa5dr

6th Dec 06 at 08:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's are excellent tyres.
davey_jack

6th Dec 06 at 10:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

maybe mine are defective or something? Gripped nicely, but wore out really prematurely!
Cupra Steve
Banned

6th Dec 06 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well i think you might of just got a bad set.. for example i had a set of continental tyres on my ibiza and i got reccomended by my mate who runs them on his metro turbo, the rears are still on the now 20,000 miles on em now i think, where as the fronts lasted all of 5,000 miles.
Teknologikal

6th Dec 06 at 10:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
don't put the worn tyres on the back, more grip on the front means lots of oversteer.

Not with this set anyway....when you get new tyres, keep an eye on them and rotate them when they start to show a tad more wear on the front.

As for tyre pressures, I got 15s on my Fiesta and they're 32psi front, 30 rear.

[Edited on 06-12-2006 by Teknologikal]
VegasPhil
Premium Member

6th Dec 06 at 10:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I run mine at 32/30psi.

Had the tyres for 6k now, and they'll do another couple of thousand miles.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
davey_jack

6th Dec 06 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just emailed Goodyear a letter of complaint! lol! Just in the hope they might give a f*ck and say sorry sir heres a new set free of charge. Team Dynamics did the same with someone I know!

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's, opinions? 23 database queries in 0.0133410 seconds