corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » BMW SMG

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author BMW SMG
nik

User status: Offline
1st Jan 07 at 13:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone driven one?? What you think of it?
deano87

1st Jan 07 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dad has SMG2 in his E46 M3. No idea what SMG1 was like and I hear SMG3 on the new M5 & M6 is pretty good - because it's attached to a manual gearbox on SMG2 it does judder, but doesn't have much of a delay. Of course you can reduce the judder with the gearbox settings. The automatic mode on SMG2 is shocking. It will however, in manual mode, drop down to 1st gear when you've stopped, or 2nd gear if you're still moving etc.
nik

1st Jan 07 at 13:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers just seen a couple of cars I like with SMGII but having never driven one wasn't sure. Would prefer man. really but I want specific options/colour so can't be fussy.

[Edited on 01-01-2007 by nik]
big eck

1st Jan 07 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I take its something to do with the gearbox???
nik

1st Jan 07 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah either full auto or semi auto paddle shift. Comes with launch control etc and is meant to work well unlike most paddle systems.
deano87

2nd Jan 07 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It does work fairly well yes, no delay, but as I said you get the big jolt when changing gear as it as attached to a manual 'box. You can get around that my lifting off the throttle slightly as you change gear.

Dad has driven a manual M3 round Rockingham and loves it, wishing he had one really - SMGII was bit of a 'showy' thing.

I take it you've seen it on M3's and not any other BMW's?

The reason why SMGIII is much better on the M5 and M6 is because the car was designed around the 'box, whereas with E46 M3 SMGII was added to the car.
JJ

2nd Jan 07 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I too am looking to purchase an m3 fairly soon and have found one with the smg box, love the idea of this as i have driven a few ferrari's with the f1 style gear change and really miss the style of gear change when i get back in my own car, the bmw smg works quite well although it seems to require some work from you to help it change down smoothly, the launch feature and gradiant assist features are all very good and can only be helped by upgrading the smg software to that of the csl

Watch this vid for a demo on the features... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Emxu5HFllM
nik

2nd Jan 07 at 12:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm really after manual box but saw a good spec smg at a good price although changed mind now

Good luck finding an M3! I've looked at loads and you'd be amazed at the amount of dogs out there. Finding one with the right spec, history etc is proving very difficult and makes me want to give up and buy something else

[Edited on 02-01-2007 by nik]
JJ

2nd Jan 07 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One i have found is in Laguna Seca with Seca leather, might be too much of a colour combo for most but i love it.... So tempted... Tis 2002 with 49k on the clock and is totally mint with full bmw service history.
nik

2nd Jan 07 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Check out bm3w.co.uk mate. Very good for tips on buying. So much to look for with these!
JJ

2nd Jan 07 at 12:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by nik
Check out bm3w.co.uk mate. Very good for tips on buying. So much to look for with these!

Im a regular viewer on this site

Had an e36 m3 few years back, mazin car

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » BMW SMG 22 database queries in 0.0139821 seconds