corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Legality on HID Conversion kits

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Legality on HID Conversion kits
Andy_sxi

User status: Offline
16th Jan 07 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Interesting video on the fitting of hid kits in normal headlights. Take a look.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/videos/featuresvideos/204742/xenon_test.html
VegasPhil
Premium Member

16th Jan 07 at 12:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Doug

16th Jan 07 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Great, just after I fitted mine

I have projector lenses anyway so mine arnt too bad. Its when they are fitted into normal reflector style lights that causes problems!

Aka you corsa owners!
Doug

16th Jan 07 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have had mine set up at a MOT centre aswell so mine don't dazzle anyone and I have never been flashed. But I would be willing to place money on you getting flashed if you just bought a kit for your corsa!
ed

16th Jan 07 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea, but a certain member on here who sells them phoned up VOSA and said that they were legal so thats all made up
Marc

16th Jan 07 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsakid_sxi
autoexpress

mwg

16th Jan 07 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I read that article aswell.
Joe

16th Jan 07 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I read it too, not legal to fit aftermarket. Thats what I believe no matter what some people on here may say.
Jake

16th Jan 07 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if this is true I want my fucking money back.
jamied

16th Jan 07 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

umm interesting
might wait a month or two and see what happens before i order
mattk

16th Jan 07 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you need headlight washers when you have HID anyway, corsas dont have them as far as i know, would be cool though
PaulW

16th Jan 07 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mattk
you need headlight washers when you have HID anyway, corsas dont have them as far as i know, would be cool though

you ONLY need the headlight washer jets IF they were factory fitted, otherwise you dont

if you have Balast compensators built in, you 'might' be ok if you do have projector headlamps, otherwise your screwed...
jamesvalver

16th Jan 07 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

also aswell as the washers, cars fitted with HID's must have an auto leveling system so that when there is weight in the back or under accelerationg , the headlights will automatically lower themselves as not to dazzel other ppl.

Cupra Steve
Banned

16th Jan 07 at 18:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my mates dc2 has hid's, but his is a 96 spec so they never came std, and his dazzle everyone, he always gets flashed by oncoming traffic. never had any trouble with coppers but he said there is no way of adjusting them as they are just a glass spere sort of thing???? is this true??
mattk

16th Jan 07 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I couldnt drive round dazzeling every one, Id feel a right tw@
Cupra Steve
Banned

16th Jan 07 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I couldnt drive round dazzeling every one, Id feel a right tw@

it is like he is driving on full beam but even brighter!!!! i can't drive in front of him. are they adjustable??
Jake

16th Jan 07 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you can change the direction of the beam (left and right) by adjusting a screw on top of the lamp
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

16th Jan 07 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To put the record straight:

I have contacted both the police and VOSA regarding the HID kits I sell, the police werent very helpfull and said as long as the lights dont dazzle anyone (adjusted correctly), are not blue in colour and are E marked then they dont have a problem with them, they did say however that they have been pulling people over a lot recently due to the amount of people using 10k and 12k bulbs which look like this:

They then said that the best people to speak to are VOSA. Their opinion on them was that there is no law against having HID conversions as long as they are E marked, the correct colour and the beam is adjusted correctly. I am waiting for something official from them in the post.

the problem with these kits is that theres so many shit ones on the market that a lot of them are not E marked or CE approved, also a lot of the kits take a power feed directly from the standard lighting looms, proper kits include relays and a wiring loom to take the power feed from the battery.

there is no law regarding auto adjust headlight aim, its a myth according to VOSA

There is however a law regarding headlight washers. If the car comes with HID and Headlight washers from the factory the washers must work.

The basic rule is buy a decent kit from a uk manufacturer that is E marked and CE approved, the correct colour (4300k or 6000k are best) and the bulbs have 'dazzle guards' and get the beam adjusted correctly then you will be fine.

[Edited on 16-01-2007 by Dave A]
Marshall

16th Jan 07 at 19:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

luckily i have projector lenses and access to a beam setter at work. Can take plenty of pictures of my new HID's, next to my other corsa (with standard lights), if this would be useful to other people. should be being delivered in a week or two.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

16th Jan 07 at 19:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for informing us Dave, I hope everything will be ok with our kits.
Jake

16th Jan 07 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is that the dazzle guard on the bulb carrier?
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/corsa808/hid/CIMG0523.jpg
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

16th Jan 07 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there wont be any problem willay, I was aware of these problems while I shopped round for manufacturers.

the problem with most kits is that they dont include the dazzle guards, these are essential otherwise you WILL blind people coming coming the other way. heres what I mean by dazzle guard:

you can see the guard on the bulb holder on the right. compare that to this type of bulb:

and you can see how people will be blinded. , also, you might notice that in that video they didnt contact VOSA or the police, just got a statement from the department of transport stating that they were concerned. dont believe all you read and see in the media.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Legality on HID Conversion kits 23 database queries in 0.0322471 seconds