corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Inlet manifold/throttle bodies halfway house?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Inlet manifold/throttle bodies halfway house?
Rob H

User status: Offline
15th Apr 07 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Off the top of my head, a 1.6 16v with a mantzel or similar would make 120 brake, and the same engine with Throttle bodies would make 140 ish both after a mapping session.

There's probably loads of reasons why you can't do it, but where do you think a system would come in that used two standard throttle bodies and inlet tracts.

i.e two tb's, two airflow meters, and two filters? Think 4-2 inlet manifold, not 4-1.

Obviously provided you have the space to do it, but do you think it would work? .

[Edited on 15-04-2007 by Rob H]
AK

15th Apr 07 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what? what? what?

Like a TB and inlet for 2 cly, then the same for the other half?
jr

15th Apr 07 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no
Rob H

15th Apr 07 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
what? what? what?

Like a TB and inlet for 2 cly, then the same for the other half?

Yeah
Robin
Premium Member

15th Apr 07 at 22:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There would be no significant gain over the standard setup, and it would cost as much as TBs, as you'd need management to cope with the extra sensors.

[Edited on 15-04-2007 by Robin]
Rob H

15th Apr 07 at 22:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jr
no

I'm thinking aloud, so need reasons why it wouldn't work.

There would be gain as your still doing away with the 4 foot inlet system. A TB set up works as you have an indiviual feed to each cylinder with a butterfly for each. Surely this is just going half the way towards it, only really needing a special manifold made up?

Not sure how the sensors work, always presumed it's just a voltage, and can't see why you can't just use one sensor, as the other one will be telling you the same thing.
AK

15th Apr 07 at 22:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but WHY on earth would you go to the trouble when TB's are an off the shelf solution.
Rob H

15th Apr 07 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cost - if you can get gains better than a mantzel (which i'd expect), but only marginally less than a TB set up for the price it costs you to knock a manifold together (next to nothing if you can get the pipe and welding done for beer tokens), then why not?
AK

15th Apr 07 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

x2 AFM
x2 TB's
x2 induction
2 complicated manifolds

you sure its a cheap thought
Robin
Premium Member

15th Apr 07 at 22:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob H
if you can get gains better than a mantzel (which i'd expect), but only marginally less than a TB set up

Not a chance.
Rob H

15th Apr 07 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
x2 AFM
x2 TB's
x2 induction
2 complicated manifolds

AFM, induction & TB should be fairly cheap to pick up if somoenones gone the Throttle body route

Manifold is nothing more than a standard lower one cut down, and a Y piece welded on with a flange to fit the original TB to.

If you find the right parts cheap, can't see why you couldn't try it for under £100 .
Rob H

15th Apr 07 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
quote:
if you can get gains better than a mantzel (which i'd expect), but only marginally less than a TB set up

Not a chance.

Why not? your doubling the area through which the air has to pass through the throttle body, and if done right you can get rid of the nasty 0 degree radius 90 degree turn the air has to do in the mantzel box to get into the lower inlet .
AK

15th Apr 07 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by AK
x2 AFM
x2 TB's
x2 induction
2 complicated manifolds

AFM, induction & TB should be fairly cheap to pick up if somoenones gone the Throttle body route

Manifold is nothing more than a standard lower one cut down, and a Y piece welded on with a flange to fit the original TB to.

If you find the right parts cheap, can't see why you couldn't try it for under £100 .

try it then and let me know when the 100 is gone
Rob H

15th Apr 07 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Small problem of needing a car first .

In theory though, if you can get it to work there's no reason why you shouldn't see good gains .
Robin
Premium Member

15th Apr 07 at 22:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Why not? your doubling the area through which the air has to pass through the throttle body, and if done right you can get rid of the nasty 0 degree radius 90 degree turn the air has to do in the mantzel box to get into the lower inlet .

You'll make more than a Mantzel, yes, but it will DEFNITELY cost you mroe than £100 to do it right, and you won't see anywhere near the power you do with 4 TBs, a basic 4 throttle kit will see 160bhp on a STANDARD engine.
Rob H

15th Apr 07 at 22:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
You'll make more than a Mantzel, yes, but it will DEFNITELY cost you mroe than £100 to do it right, and you won't see anywhere near the power you do with 4 TBs, a basic 4 throttle kit will see 160bhp on a STANDARD engine.

Like i said, it depends what can be bought on the cheap/at mates rates.

TB output was more than i thought it would be, so no don't think you'd get particularly close. It should flow much better than the mantzel does though, and also - something i've just realised, you should keep your equal length manifold, which you loose with the mantzel.

Judging by how much time and effort vauxhall spend on the standard engine to keep it equal lengths (i/e the cast manifold on top of the engine - unsure how far along this goes though?), i'm presuming it's quite an important factor .
ShEp

16th Apr 07 at 09:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

seen it done on an s1 rs turbo,

was in performance ford years back,

i wouldnt even know where to go looking for pics
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

16th Apr 07 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£100?

what about the £1000+ for management, loom and mapping
Rob H

16th Apr 07 at 11:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why would you need aftermarket management?
Dave A

16th Apr 07 at 11:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

because the standard ecu wouldnt cope with 2 afm signals and go into limp home mode, also the fuelling and ignition timing would need mapping to suit the new mods. and then theres the fact a standard loom wouldnt run 2 seperate tps, icv's and afm's
Rob H

16th Apr 07 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How do the AFM signals work though? Are they a pulse, or a constant voltage that varies with the amount of air flow?

i.e can you bodge the wires together off two AFM's to the ecu, and it'll think it's getting one signal .

Like i say i'm only saying in theory it should work better than a mantzel - getting it to work is where it's make or break .
AK

16th Apr 07 at 11:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'd think they'd be a varing voltage acording to air flow.

Bodging two AFM's togther is defeating the point of having two.

Dave A

16th Apr 07 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would imagine you would see better gains on a well set up engine with a mantzel.

the other problem is the Icv wont give the correct amount of air for 2 cylinders so it will idle high as you have each one running half of its equivalent on a standard inlet.
Rob H

16th Apr 07 at 11:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
i'd think they'd be a varing voltage acording to air flow.

Bodging two AFM's togther is defeating the point of having two.

Suppose it depends on the frequency of the readings, i.e if it takes 10 readings every second and creates an average, bodging the two shouldnt make too much difference, compared to if it takes a couple of thousand every second to get the exact air flow going into a cylinder - if that makes sense?

TBH I didnt give the ICV's much thought .

Think the concept is good, but the problems associated with doing it properly are more hassle than their worth .

Only thing i don't like about the mantzel is the way the air has to travel through a "square" 90 degree turn to get into the lower inlet. Just think there's got to be a better way of doing it, cause that's surely not doing any good for the airflow at all. Ideally you want something similar to the inlet on the Redtop, where it's much shorter than on the small block XE's, but still has nice flowing lines without sharp bends .
ainsley_brader

17th Apr 07 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this is something i had thought of in the past.

I don't see why you would need two air flow meters tbh, could do it off 1 regal tb style.

I also think you could get away with 1 tps.

And just split the icv wire to both icvs so they work together to balance the cylinders.

In fact having read this thread i think i have got enough parts lying around the workshop to try it for less than £100.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Inlet manifold/throttle bodies halfway house? 22 database queries in 0.0154750 seconds