corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » 5 Door and proud *Rear courtesy light* 29th Feb '08

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 5 Door and proud *Rear courtesy light* 29th Feb '08
Hoddo

User status: Offline
   22nd May 07 at 23:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Okay so, I've always enjoyed reading through peoples posts, and seeing things take shape.

I've also noticed I've never really seen a 5 door progress thread. I know 99% of the community on here think the 5 door is hideous, and you know what? I couldn't give a shit!

I didn't really have a choice in the matter as to whether I got a 3 door or a 5 door, as I was borrowing money from relatives! My dad was keen to get involved so I had to go along with it.

I've enjoyed taking time to nurture my car, and seen its potential unlocked.

so without further delay here it is:

The Day we travelled to Stoke and bought it - Note: the nasty 13" steelies with retro wheel trims.

Next I salvaged the Dezent alloys from my clio, having little knowledge about offsets etc. I started to scrub my arch bumper on sharp turns:

you can see the nasty offset here:

I then started to take notice of peoples ideas and modifications on here and bought some clear side repeaters.

I also ended up with some shocking silver wipers that were screaming chav, I was ashamed to have them on my car. Long story short, minute of madness swap, the car I swapped with ended up being scrapped

Once again I was inspired off here to get some new plates as the old ones were horrible. I opted for some 3/4 sized legal font, still love em today:

This lead onto me removing the fugly pre 97 rub strips & boot lettering and t-cutting and buffing the colour fade:

I also added some astra-G side repeaters as Id been unfortunate to receive some poor quality GM replicas that snapped!

You can also see I managed to get my hands on some black wipers *phew*

after realising how shocking my offset was I snapped up a deal which landed me with some fox alloys, they didnt cost me a penny. I managed to sell my old alloys for £120 with two tyres needing to be replaced.

The alloys I swapped for just had 4 new tyres which cost me £100 so I was £20 up!

as you can see in the two previous images I landed a set of 4 GM mudflaps for £5 of ebay!

I was intrigued by the thought of having a rev counter and getting more from my gears so set about sourcing some clocks!

one again novarob on ebay provided me with some clock for £15 all in!

I ended up writing this tutorial, after coming across some issues:

I've also changed rear wheel bearings, and destroyed and replaced my front pads. braking on bare metal is nasty!

My latest modification is a post 97 boot badge. Novarob off ebay again £0.99 and such a nice change!

that's about it so far. I wash it weekly and enjoy polishing it up.

I also enjoy driving it around as it tends to draw attention to itself being 11 years on and being in such nice condition, that and its a 5dr that hasn't been mullered my abuse.

[Edited on 03-06-2007 by Hoddo]

[Edited on 04-06-2007 by Hoddo]

[Edited on 28-11-2007 by Hoddo]

[Edited on 10-12-2007 by Hoddo]

[Edited on 07-02-2008 by Hoddo]

[Edited on 07-02-2008 by Hoddo]

[Edited on 29-02-2008 by Hoddo]
Sean-B

22nd May 07 at 23:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lower it should be next on your list. Id say no lower than 40mm on standard shocks but you can get good shortened dampers of fleabay from 'evolutionr' .
Ben G

23rd May 07 at 00:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

paint looks amazing

post 97 bumpers and lowering will look 10 times better

p.s. novarob on ebay is a great guy
Hoddo

23rd May 07 at 06:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
paint looks amazing

post 97 bumpers and lowering will look 10 times better

p.s. novarob on ebay is a great guy

cheers for the comment. Yea, im working on sourcing some new bumpers! just starting a new job but going from weekly to monthly pay again so I'll have to wait around. Least I've got time to save though.

As for lowering I have a slight problem, and tried multiple things to rectify!

I can only assume my rear left drum is mishaped as bearings, alloys & shocks have been changed. when forcing my car round a hard right turn I get a grinding sound from the rear. There is no sign of rubbing since changing my alloys.

I'm just worried that lowering will put added stress on what ever is grinding and do damage.
Dom H

23rd May 07 at 09:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good work.
nathy_87

23rd May 07 at 12:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

5doors the way forward looking nice mate, get some smoked rear lights for that. Ive got a flame red corsa and im keeping the black/red theme hence my seat covers and black/red dice but im hoping to get some black deepdish alloys soon imo you have done a nice job.
nova_gteuk

23rd May 07 at 13:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is it me or does everyone buy off novarob,bought a few things off him myself,well reccomend him

hoddo lookin good to son get it lowered though
!_roderzz_!

23rd May 07 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ow yes 5 doors own full stop i got one as well and yeah i get alot of dude sell it and buy sumthin with less doors

but end of the day mine was in the family dun 36,000 miles genuine and cost me 700!! 1.48v gls tis pretty old now L reg but ud never tell,

keep it simple like uv dun and there awesome looking sweet yours mind and its not pink
deano87

23rd May 07 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks in very good condition, make sure you keep on top of it!

Has loads of potential.
STEvieXE

23rd May 07 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

imo 5drs look alot better with f/glass kits.

Hoddo

23rd May 07 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well first off cheers for the comments, always nice to receive positive comments.

not a fan of f/glass kits as they tend to deteriorate!
STEvieXE

25th May 07 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah need redone from time to time to look good
Hoddo

25th May 07 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by STEvieXE
yeah need redone from time to time to look good

imho once I finally get it slammed it may look slightly better.

that and maybe some gsi skirts!
lil_g

26th May 07 at 09:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice project and red/black will look awesome
and novarob is a top seller
Hoddo

26th May 07 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by lil_g04
nice project and red/black will look awesome
and novarob is a top seller

aye, I do like the red & black, contemplating keeping it rather than changing for cc post 97's

dunno if they do GSi skirts for the 5 door though? any ideas?
Wonderboy

26th May 07 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The red and black looks nice, I would keep it like that, stick on a GSI spoiler, and get some black GSI skirts (I think they may do them for 5 doors).
Hoddo

26th May 07 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd love to source as 5 dr GSi spoiler, I always see shit heaps with em on driving round with wing mirrors hanging off and bumpers taped up with duck tape.

I know an irmscher ebay shop sells em but they're like £50 quid not inc p&p.

the only concern about getting one getting it to match 11 years of paint fade.

personally I think my paint isnt bad for its age, but its faded slightly as the rubstrip fade can be seen just about.
Wonderboy

26th May 07 at 12:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hoddo
I'd love to source as 5 dr GSi spoiler, I always see shit heaps with em on driving round with wing mirrors hanging off and bumpers taped up with duck tape.

I know an irmscher ebay shop sells em but they're like £50 quid not inc p&p.

the only concern about getting one getting it to match 11 years of paint fade.

personally I think my paint isnt bad for its age, but its faded slightly as the rubstrip fade can be seen just about.

Just give it a really good clean, it will looks great. I done mine yesterday (same colour) turned out great.
Hoddo

26th May 07 at 12:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I give it a good clean everyweek. It will still have paint fade, so If I do source a spoiler It make not match 100%
Rich H

27th May 07 at 09:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice, is coming on nicely!!

Lowering, DEPO smoked headlights and late spec bumpers would look good.

Look at Dom H's (? The maroon one!!) for inspiration too
Hoddo

27th May 07 at 14:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rich H
Nice, is coming on nicely!!

Lowering, DEPO smoked headlights and late spec bumpers would look good.

Look at Dom H's (? The maroon one!!) for inspiration too

thanx, doms has always been an inspiration. I like it because it isnt body kitted up to the eyeballs.

Id love to lay my hands on a set of rear lights like his, purely because it would blend with my paint.

as for depo's im looking out for some second hand ones. not really in the position to buy new. same with lowering springs, though I've got a mate who will fit em for me!
Hoddo

28th May 07 at 23:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well, treated myself today.. or my dad said he'd pay if I did his car with the bar aswell

I will do a before and after shot for anyone interested.

Ill apply some gold class megs aswell to get a good shine.

new job starts 2moz so wont be doing it till Friday maybe?

hoddo
Hoddo

2nd Jun 07 at 23:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

for anyone who is interested in the outcome of using a clay bar, I've taken some snaps of the finished product:

heres my verdict:

so erm yea... very impressed!

what you guys think?

Hoddo

3rd Jun 07 at 08:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just to tally up.

I started off with a nice bucket of soapy water, (NOT WASHING UP LIQUID) I then jetted the car down with my Kärcher jetwash. I then used a nice sponge and the soapy water to meticulously clean any loose dirt from the paintwork. I then jetted the car down again expelling any debris from the car working from the roof down, making sure not to miss anything.

After that I cloth dried the paintwork and left it to dry out in the sunshine, while I set to work on cleaning the alloys, as they were caked with brakedust!

After that I used the detailing spray and began claying the paintwork, taking special care to remove tar and fly mash. Once I'd completed that I looked for various areas that required T-cutting to remove oxidation from the paintwork.

areas like the pillars either side of the windscreen and around the windows.

Once I'd completed that I buffed the T-cutted areas and began to apply the gold class wax. this goes ona treat with the applicator pads. working my way round the whole car made me work up a sweat!

so I treated myself to a stella! MMmm wife beater. I then allowed the wax to set and began polishing it off with the microfibre cloth. and the results in the photos are what I was left with. leaning on my car later that day and I nearly slid off it was that slippy.

Summary

Carplan Colour T-cut - £9.99

Megs Smooth Surface claybar kit - £22

Megs Gold Class Clear Coat Wax - £13

Carplan Trim wax - £3.99

Carplan Alloy wheel cleaner - £8.99

various cloths and rags were used. though the microfibre cloth that came with the clay bar was a treat to use.

and this is my final verdict:

corsa_rob

3rd Jun 07 at 09:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its still a 5 door lol....nar just kiddin...i used drive a 5 door...1.7 diesel though where the days £20 lasted me a week...i just spent £30 of petrol which lasted me 2 1/2 days lol...if i was u id source sume post 97 bumpers from ure scrappy and lower it...might look fairly decent...the have been nice 5 doors on here search the past posts

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » 5 Door and proud *Rear courtesy light* 29th Feb '08 23 database queries in 0.0539832 seconds