corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » World of Warcraft

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author World of Warcraft
dannymccann

User status: Offline
27th Jul 07 at 16:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it worth playing? I loved Diablo 2 and everygame like it, such as Guild Wars and Titan Quest. AFAIK it is similar just online but with loads more features than D2?

The only things stopping me from doing it before were -
Slow Uni internet
Lack of funds
Lack of time
Bad reports about server downtime and lag

Now the 1st 3 reasons dont apply anymore but was wondering what people's experiences in regards to servers are like? I dont want to pay however much it is a month to not get great (and I mean near perfect) ping times.

Thanks!
Bart

27th Jul 07 at 16:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

very addictive. I gave it up for the summer because i was banned for botting

Ive got another account with lvl 70 on, but not been playing it.
dannymccann

27th Jul 07 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats the server speeds like?
DarkBahamut

27th Jul 07 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart

So someone else that doesnt know how to 'play' a game .

How can you be 'addicted' to a game anyway when your a cheater wanker?
Kyle T
Premium Member

27th Jul 07 at 18:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Server downtime is minimal compared to other MMO's that i've poked around with in the past.

Every Wednesday morning they go down from about 3am to Middayish for maintenance, and if ever they roll out a new patch it is during this time, which can extend to the late wednesday afternoon if it's a really drastic patch.

Look around on the official WoW forums and look for a server that has recently started up, as there should be less 70's there, and more player activity through the levels.

An older server will be full of 70's with no-one to play with through the levels.

I levelled a Rogue to 60 pre-burning crusade on a PvE server, alliance side - and got very bored of it so re-rolled a horde rogue to 70 on Executus (PvP server) and much prefer it, as there is generally more to do once you hit the level cap. (outdoor PvP)

The lack of time isn't a problem, you can play for 30mins or 9 hours if you want, especially whilst levelling when there are no real grouping commitments and the 8.99 a month is only about 4 pints, you'll save that when your social life is destroyed.... jk

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
dannymccann

27th Jul 07 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
Server downtime is minimal compared to other MMO's that i've poked around with in the past.

Every Wednesday morning they go down from about 3am to Middayish for maintenance, and if ever they roll out a new patch it is during this time, which can extend to the late wednesday afternoon if it's a really drastic patch.

Look around on the official WoW forums and look for a server that has recently started up, as there should be less 70's there, and more player activity through the levels.

An older server will be full of 70's with no-one to play with through the levels.

I levelled a Rogue to 60 pre-burning crusade on a PvE server, alliance side - and got very bored of it so re-rolled a horde rogue to 70 on Executus (PvP server) and much prefer it, as there is generally more to do once you hit the level cap. (outdoor PvP)

The lack of time isn't a problem, you can play for 30mins or 9 hours if you want, especially whilst levelling when there are no real grouping commitments and the 8.99 a month is only about 4 pints, you'll save that when your social life is destroyed.... jk

Very informative cheers, im going to do the 10 day trial first to see

To be honest i never liked doing quests with people because they could steal your treasure or what not, so i would probly enjoy going solo, and yea, £8.99 aint too bad although ive just bought XBL for 13 months (£12.60, bargain ) so dunno whether i would use both
Kyle T
Premium Member

27th Jul 07 at 20:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As for people stealing your treasures, there are "loot" systems in place which should prevent this:

Master Looter: Only an assigned master looter can see what items a boss drops, then assign it to any raid member - obviously ML is given to someone trusted and from a reputable guild

Need/Greed: When an item drops, a little box pops up for everyone in the group/raid - with three options.. Need, Greed or Pass. People who pass straight away get removed from the rolling, People who need get a random number between 1 and 100 rolled by the server, the person with the highest roll wins the item. If noone "needs" an item, all the "greed"ers get a roll done, and the highest roll wins. Only people who can make use of an item should hit Need, Greed'ers are people who will just sell the item on etc.

These systems can be abused of course, but if you're careful then you should have any upset

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
dannymccann

28th Jul 07 at 08:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Kyle, another question

http://www.wow-europe.com/en/requirements/subscription.html

On that site it gives the 3 payment plans with 6 months being 'cheapest'. Is it 7.69 a month for 6 months (making it £46 for 6 months or 25p a day) or £7.69 for 6 months (making it 4p per day )??

If it is, 4p a day is something i could live with lol

EDIT - also, if after 6 months u give it a rest for a couple (for example for exams ) does it keep your character information until u buy another subscription?

Cheers

[Edited on 28-07-2007 by dannymccann]
Bart

28th Jul 07 at 08:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DarkBahamut
quote:

So someone else that doesnt know how to 'play' a game .

How can you be 'addicted' to a game anyway when your a cheater wanker?

played for a long time properly. got pissed off with everyone else botting, buying gold etc. its a very corrupt game in that respect.
I bought another account soley for botting and buying gold, and didnt expect it to last long.
Jules

28th Jul 07 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've played WoW for a couple of years now and it's the most addictive thing I've ever been involved with in my life!
The grind from lvl 1 to 70 will be a bit of a bind, but I broke it down to milestones to achieve - every other level, then every tenth level, then level 40, then 60 and finally 70.
I've got two main, very well equipped char's at lvl 70 (Warlock and Priest - both horde male undead ) and a few others ranging between levels 30 and 62.

As for the technical issues - the server lag and downtime has all but gone from what it used to be like.
I pay for my subscription of £46 per 6 months which works out the cheapest option - I wish it was £7.69 for 6 months - but no they are saying that if you subscribe to pay for 6 months then that is how much it works out of average - £7.69/month.

If you want to take a break for a bit then yes your account will remain active for a while until you buy more game time - not sure how long for, probably best to contact Blizzard for this.

Botting eh Bart? Got a fishing bot? I HATE grinding my fishing!!
smack

28th Jul 07 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

anyone seen the south park episdoed of WOW
so good
Kyle T
Premium Member

28th Jul 07 at 12:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah they keep inactive characters for certain period, but i'm not sure exactly how long that period is.

Do you do much PvE raiding Jules?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Jules

28th Jul 07 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Yeah they keep inactive characters for certain period, but i'm not sure exactly how long that period is.

Do you do much PvE raiding Jules?

Used to farm Karazhan in my old guild - up to and downed the Prince - had a few attempts at Grulls but couldn't get the manpower - then I had a falling out with the Guildleader and I left/got kicked, I've been guildless for a couple of weeks now but have applied to one of the more successful raiding guilds on my server and it looks like I have a good chance of getting in - they have the whole of Kara on farm status, they regularly down Grull and are very successful in Serpetshrine Cavern and have also downed Maga in HFC several times - so I'm hoping to get in there and get some T4/T5 items eventually, plus they seem a decent bunch - got a few friends in there.

How about you?

BTW, my two mains armoury pages:

Supaju - Warlock

Jupasu - Priest

[Edited on 28-07-2007 by Jules]
Bart

28th Jul 07 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JulesBotting eh Bart? Got a fishing bot? I HATE grinding my fishing!!

check out WOW Glider
Jules

28th Jul 07 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by JulesBotting eh Bart? Got a fishing bot? I HATE grinding my fishing!!

check out WOW Glider

Is that the one that you got busted for?
Kyle T
Premium Member

28th Jul 07 at 12:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Currently doing karazhan, although I'm leading it and its just a few lads from work, so nothing too organised

Will probably never get the man power to go onto 25man stuff but I prefer PvP more tbh.

Can't link my armoury since it's blocked at work, but search for Fonzey on Executus

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kurt

28th Jul 07 at 14:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i played it pretty solidly when i first got it but then i stopped playing and just seemed a waste on monies so i cancelled my direct debit
dannymccann

28th Jul 07 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well my trial wouldnt work so i went out and bought it from Virgin, £9 Got the first month free and i signed up to have the first month at 8.99 just incase i dont fancy it. Good so far.

What do u reckon the easiest character to start with is? Im a Human Warrior atm, although mages look pretty nifty

Dan
Kyle T
Premium Member

28th Jul 07 at 16:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mage's are probably among the best classes for levelling up and "grinding".

High damage output, can create their own food and water to regen health and mana and have AoE (Area of Effect) capabilities for killing multiple mobs at once.

However they do run out of mana relatively quickly so have considerable downtime.

Rogues are very good fun at 1v1 combat, however their weaknesses are exposed when you have more than one thing beating down on you.

Warriors are one of the high demand classes at end game - they are "tank" classes used to take control and take the damage from a boss at high end PvE, whilst DPS classes deal damage (think glass cannons) and healers keep the tanks alive.

To level up with them starts off slow, but once you start putting talents into the fury tree and start dual wielding they become pretty efficient grinders.

If I were to start again - i'd probably go Druid, they can tank, DPS or Heal if specced into those areas, and are the most versatile class at end game.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
A1EX

28th Jul 07 at 18:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive just read some of this thread, it was like reading a foreign language lol
dannymccann

28th Jul 07 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im going with an Orc hunter to start with

lol @ A1EX
Kyle T
Premium Member

28th Jul 07 at 19:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hunters play themselves.

Literally

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
dannymccann

29th Jul 07 at 08:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Hunters play themselves.

Literally

What do you mean?
Kyle T
Premium Member

29th Jul 07 at 12:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hunters are the premier botting class. They essentially come with a pet, which acts as a tank, the hunter acts as the primary damage dealer, and the hunter can also heal his pet - meaning that for grinding through mobs they are a self contained class.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Jules

29th Jul 07 at 15:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmm what class to start?

Ok well go horde as a faction - alliance are just faggot pretty boys tbh!

A few to choose from:
Warriors - needed as there is a lack of real tanks on almost every realm.

Druid - The most flexible class these days, can tank, damge (dps) or heal, plus they get travel form which is a god send.

Hunters/Rogues - they are E-Z-Mode for farming and levelling up quickly but they aren't really needed in instances so you may struggle with that aspect.

Paladin/Shamen - not a bad option but kind of a half way house, not really pure DPS like a Mage or Warlock and not a out and out healer like a Priest, but a good healing Paladin that wears plate armour is not to be sniffed at!

Priest - Not the class leading healers they once were but hopefully that will change in a few patches as they really should be, make a shadow priest and you'll be effective for dps and healing in PvP and instances.

Mage: As Kyle said, a good class but forever having to stop/start due to huge mana useage but they are very powerful

Warlock: My tip for the top, make one of these bad boys - at level 40 you get a free mount (saving lots of hard earnt gold) and are lvl 60 you get a quest for a epic mount which will save you hundreds of gold again
As a 'lock you have the ability to resseruct yourself, and you have a demon under your control to help you out whilst you stand away from danger - and if you spec yourself correctly you get a awesome one man bodyguard/shit kicker called a Felguard who will take a hell of a beating for you whilst you smash shit out of the enemy!

Warlock for me all the way - THE most enjoyable class I've played (and I've played most)
But make a Bloodelf one as their racial skills are best suited to casters rather than melee classes.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll