corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Sold a car, and now he wants me to pay for repairs! Sorry for bumping this but, update!!

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Sold a car, and now he wants me to pay for repairs! Sorry for bumping this but, update!!
Jay

User status: Offline
   1st Sep 07 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sold a car on/outside of eBay (He contacted me after the auction ended)which to my knowledge there was nothing wrong with it. Was honest about everything like the window falling into the door 15 minutes before he arrived and told him not to wind it down as I only done a quick fix on it and to get it glued! He came to view the car, test drove it a good 10 miles up and down hill around liverpool, checked it all out, commented on it being a nice car and his daughter will love it. Few days later got a call saying its running like crap and hes had it checked out and altogether to get the car up to scratch will cost £1040.00, and he wants me to pay, told him where to go and that the car was sold as seen and he was happy with it when he handed over the cash! Its around 3 months later not and ive just got a text off him saying that he is formely informing me (Through a text??) that if I dont pay him the £1040.00 he'l be taking me to court on the 9th september... Is this fella for real? Sounds ludicrous to me!

[Edited on 01-09-2007 by JayM]

[Edited on 26-10-2007 by JayM]
woodwardsbodyshop
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

1st Sep 07 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nah, you should of got papers through post by now about it surely, hes trying to scare you
Ben G

1st Sep 07 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a deal's a deal. no going back.

he should've done the proper checks before paying.

tell him to GTF and if he doesn't stop pestering you, you will get him charged with harrassment.
Bonney

1st Sep 07 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you written this on a receiptyou may be covered
grogan

1st Sep 07 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sold as seen, tell him to get fucked
Ben G

quote:
Originally posted by Bonney66

shouldn't matter. who's to say he didn't go out and thrash the balls out of it the minute he drove away with the car and fucked up things by doing so?
Jay

I wrote a reciept out with my address, his name, the sum, Reg of car, and put Sold As Seen, He signed it and so did I.

I have thought about that Ben
Arctic_Monkey

1st Sep 07 at 20:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The car is sold, and i presume the v5 and all that was changed over...it's his car = his problem...tell him where to go mate
Ben G

a receipt is a legally binding contract iirc.

just like when you have a reciept for an item you bought in a supermarket and as long as you keep that receipt, you can get a refund for any thing that is gone off/not correct etc.
aim1

providing it is written 'sold as seen' there are no comebacks. Thats why car dealers pretend to be private sellers to avoid the legal obligations they would have towards buyers if operating as a trader.
Robin
Premium Member

1st Sep 07 at 20:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sold as seen means sold as seen, tell him to fuck off.
Arctic_Monkey

1st Sep 07 at 20:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G

just like when you have a reciept for an item you bought in a supermarket and as long as you keep that receipt, you can get a refund for any thing that is gone off/not correct etc.

Even if he's got a receipt it still shouldn't matter. The guy obviously made our friend a verbal offer for the car, in it's present condition..money exchanged hands, and the car went away to a new owner so he doesn't have any come back...it's the buyers fault for not checking the car out properly imo.
DAZ1985

1st Sep 07 at 20:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tell him where to go, Sold as seen like you've said
Ben G

1st Sep 07 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Arctic_Monkey
quote:

Even if he's got a receipt it still shouldn't matter. The guy obviously made our friend a verbal offer for the car, in it's present condition..money exchanged hands, and the car went away to a new owner so he doesn't have any come back...it's the buyers fault for not checking the car out properly imo.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bonney66

shouldn't matter. who's to say he didn't go out and thrash the balls out of it the minute he drove away with the car and fucked up things by doing so?

Jay

1st Sep 07 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont get me wrong i werent out to sell him a duff car but luck of the draw isnt it? I bought a car from auction and it blew up on the way home cost me £1300 to fix! Didnt go threatening who I bought it off with court action!
antscorsa

1st Sep 07 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

forget him mate, hes just bluffing!
Rob_Lee
Banned

1st Sep 07 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He hasnt got a fucking leg to stand on.

As said tell him to GTF!
ssj_kakarot

1st Sep 07 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

doesnt matter about the reciept, thats not the legally binding part, the legal part is the simple act of offer and acceptance, regardless of that he cant do anything to you.

the only think he could claim for would be misrepresentation (sp) however, the only way he could go for this is if you actually knew there was something seriously wrong with the car and hid this from him.

As you are not in a possition of knowledge legally e.g a mechanic the law would side with you in the fact you did think the car was sound.

the only way he would be able to win would be to prove you knew there was something wrong with the car which is very hard to do, he would need to have some evidence in the form of owwwwwwww garage report or something.

any way long story short dont worry he can not do anything, regardless of what he says.
Jay

1st Sep 07 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive stopped answering his calls or texts anyway, weeks ago, cant be bothered with him going on. Il just ignore it then. Thanks for clearing it up anyway!
ssj_kakarot

1st Sep 07 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah just ignore it, like i said he dont hve any chance and ive studied that aspect of law any way so im pretty certain.
eddiewhiteley

1st Sep 07 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just tell him to nob off,the cheeky fucker
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

1st Sep 07 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if he contacts you again, tell him to put it in writing.
J100RSA

1st Sep 07 at 23:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

even in trade you only have to give a 30days warrenty, if its sold privately no warrenty has to be given as long as it says sold as seen on the receipt
JM_16v

2nd Sep 07 at 07:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its az long time and as everyone else has said sold as seen, say to the guy gtf.

court you would have a formal letter from the court themselves plus 9th of septemeber would be to short notice
Adam-D

2nd Sep 07 at 08:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sold as seen private sale. and its been 3 months

jeez

i bought a vectra 3 days later the gearbox let go. did i whinge and moan, no. i bought it, my problem i got it fixed.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Sold a car, and now he wants me to pay for repairs! Sorry for bumping this but, update!! 22 database queries in 0.0173790 seconds