corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Corsa questions

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Corsa questions
Terry12

User status: Offline
27th Sep 07 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I need some advice guys and girls
Recently I acquired an X reg 1.2 16V Corsa b. The engine is dead and I've decided to fit an X16XE as the car will be for my wife as a first car once completed. As I'm new to owning a Corsa I don't know much about them.
What can I keep from my 1.2 engine for the transplant? Am I right in thinking the fuel pump is fine as it's a 16V one.

The exterior of the car will be resprayed and I want it colour coded, Did Vauxhall ever make the arch lips already smooth ready to be painted or will I have to get the originals cleaned and painted?

If anybody could stick up some pics of nice bumpers and sideskirts as I don't really want to fit a GSi kit.

What front sits fit in from other cars? I have black door cards and can keep the rear bench but the front seats are garbage so have to decide on aftermarket bucket seats or retro fit something.

Last up has anybody fitted a digi dash to the Corsa?
Dean_W

27th Sep 07 at 12:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1. Fuel pump will be fine. Other than that not much can be kept.

2. Arches can be bought in primer, but they are to fit the GSI and are a different length. Sand and spray i'm afraid

3. Bumpers, look at Reiger and Irmscher. Expensive, but look smart.

4. Seats out of a Calibra fit in there, aswell as the rear. Theres a tutorial in the tutorial section.

5. Digi dash has been done, but doesn't look too good imo. It leaves a big gap at the top.
Terry12

27th Sep 07 at 12:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've thought of another question, The car has windy windows and manual mirrors. The car isn't wired for either so I need to know what cars have these fitted so I can get the regulators, mirrors and looms.
Terry12

27th Sep 07 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Dean,

So I'm best off finding a crash damage sport so I can take everything I need?

tbh I don't really like the Calibra seats, Ever heard of others fitted like RS Recaros etc?

I'll look into those bumpers;-)

I'll pass on the digi dash then unless I can male up a cover or something. Maybe if I find a really cheap dash I'll give it a go.

[Edited on 27-09-2007 by Terry12]
Dean_W

27th Sep 07 at 12:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is the car an SXI? If so, it should have the same seats as a 1.6 Sport. Vectra seats fit I think. They look pretty smart in half leather. If they fit width wise and you can fabricate subframes, most seats will fit. One lad had scooby seats in his. They were a bit too wide though.

Don't see the point in buying a crash damaged sport, just go to the local scrappy.
Terry12

27th Sep 07 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a .com so only has electric power steering and a sunroof. The drivers seat has collapsed on the bolster too.

What can I take the engine out of? Corsa, Astra?
I checked the scrappers near me and all they had in were early 1.2's

I'll need the engine, Gearbox, Loom, ECU, driveshafts.
Do I need the Rad and expansion tank or is the 1.2 ones ok?
Dean_W

27th Sep 07 at 12:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Engine can be taken from a Corsa or Tigra, they have the X16XE, 106BHP.

Vectras and Astras have the X16XEL, which looks different and has less power.

With regards to the engine and stuff, i'd take the whole lot, rad and everything else. You'll need engine, box, loom, shafts, mounts. You could even take the rack, and then you'll have proper power steering
Terry12

27th Sep 07 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't get cheeky now
What's the crack with this EPS? It felt a little weird driving onto the driveway.

The I was thinking of looking for a cheap smashed up Sport was so I could take everything I needed including the bumper and front wing if not damaged then cube it. Chances are slim of finding what I need though I'll bet.

Is the loom exactly the same on the Tigra? I know it's a Corsa with a different shell but are cable lengths exactly the same do you know?
Terry12

27th Sep 07 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could I use the electric window regulator and loom from a Tigra?
Dean_W

27th Sep 07 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A lot of people say EPS is weird. Suppose if you've got the cash to, buying a crash damaged 1.6 would be a good bet. Then you could have the interior, engine, brakes, suspension (which is stiffer and lower than standard)

Loom wise, i'm not too sure, but my money's on it being the same.
Terry12

27th Sep 07 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll be fitting 288mm Vectra calipers upfront and an aftermarket suspension kit so those I wouldn't need. All depends on finding a cheap sport tbh.
Did the sport come with electric windows and mirrors?
Dean_W

27th Sep 07 at 12:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Finding a cheap sport will be the hard part.

And, most sports had EW's.
Terry12

27th Sep 07 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for all the gen Dean, You've been a great help
The car is a slow project so I have time to wait it out to find the gem I need at the scrap yard. Luckily a work mate works in a scrap yard collecting the cars so i'll get him to let me know if and Corsa' come in.
Dean_W

27th Sep 07 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No problem

Let us know how you get on.
Terry12

27th Sep 07 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will do fella, I've started a project thread with the car looking rather sad for itself
I'll keep it updated with my prgress. I've already sorted some Vectra chrome interior handles for it.

New Poll