corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » charging a car battery through the starter motor

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author charging a car battery through the starter motor
James@CCC

User status: Offline
4th Nov 07 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i know that you can charge a battery through the starter motor cos ive had to do it before, but can you jump start a car the same way? well not exactly jump start it, but hook up a battery through the starter motor and then have enough electricity to open the locks?

im currently locked out and its all delcoked so its pretty much this or break a window. im too far away from a house to charge it from the mains.

also, how could i best stop this shit happeneing again? can i run some wires from the battery and just hide them in a wheel well or something or is this just asking for shorting/fire/death
Richardhhha

4th Nov 07 at 12:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

best way to stop it is find out what is draning the battery.

and you can use a jump wire but i realy really dont advise doing this like this as it could bugger the solinoid on the starter, and could spike the pcm and then your propper scuppered.
if you got break down cover get the aa or rac out to wedge the door and pop them open.
Ste L

4th Nov 07 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sure you dont mean altenator,

a starter want charge a battery
csweatherston

4th Nov 07 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes, just dont charge it through the solenoid connection (as said above)

try and use a surge protector if you can.
James@CCC

4th Nov 07 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok, i got even more confused

im sure its the starter, i was previously told to hook up my battery charger to this and to an earth and it charged it enough to pop open the doors and then i opened the bonnet and did it properly

can i not use these same points but hook it up to a battery insted of a battery charger just to give me enough power to open the doors?

its just cos its a long way from my house so will be tricky to charge with my mains charger
csweatherston

4th Nov 07 at 14:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes

New Poll