corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » does diesel still work out alot cheaper with the ££ increase

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author does diesel still work out alot cheaper with the ££ increase
Bullet Proof SRi

User status: Offline
12th Dec 07 at 16:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Diesel is now a good 5 to 6p more then petrol in my locAl garages, and never owning a diesel myself i was just wondering if it still works out alot cheaper on fuel economy then petrol
Hammer

12th Dec 07 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A million variables; what car? what consumption? how much did the car cost initially in comparison with the petrol alternative?
Kyle T
Premium Member

12th Dec 07 at 16:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends on the cars you're comparing.

a 1.9 vag tdi will work out cheaper than a scooby, but a 1.2 corsa will probably work out cheaper than the Vag. etc etc

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Bullet Proof SRi

12th Dec 07 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good point, at the minute me and the gf share a 1.2 corsa C, dont think its all that great on fuel tbh. tax is £77 every 6 months aswell.

was planning on getting a 1.9TDI vag, tax is £55 every 6 months and i was hopeing fuel eco would be a bit better then the current 1.2
Kyle T
Premium Member

12th Dec 07 at 16:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bullet Proof SRi
good point, at the minute me and the gf share a 1.2 corsa C, dont think its all that great on fuel tbh. tax is £77 every 6 months aswell.

was planning on getting a 1.9TDI vag, tax is £55 every 6 months and i was hopeing fuel eco would be a bit better then the current 1.2

Depends how you drive the 1.2 I guess, with my 12v Corsa driving like a granny I was getting to the moon and back on a tank of petrol, but whenever I drove it/attempted to drive it like a tit I found that I could get better economy from an F1 car, wheras with my Derv I can hammer the crap out of it and still get insane mileage.

So if you want to drive like a prick, get a derv - if you're happy with tootling along at 30mph everywhere save yourself the 5k+ and stick with the corsa.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
John

12th Dec 07 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I get 350 miles before the light comes on to a full tank of diesel, sure the last time i filled up it was about 42 quid at 105.9, I could get more if I drove more economically but I don't.
The diesels for the most part cost more, especially new than the equivalent petrol so you have to do an awful lot of miles to make it back.

I wouldn't chose a car over petrol or diesel now, although atm I wouldn't want one with stupidly low mpg.
mattk

12th Dec 07 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont care if it was cheaper to run a petrol punto over a deisel one id still take the derv I love the lazyness of them the way you can join a motorway sliproad in 5th and it still pulls well, I like the sound too

VAG desils are even better
Bullet Proof SRi

12th Dec 07 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont think its possible to drive the 1.2 like a granny is it, you have to put your foot down in every gear to actually go anywhere, thay have to be reved alot i find.
Steve
Premium Member

12th Dec 07 at 16:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

compare the same performance petrol to the same performance diesel and yes it works out a lot cheaper
Bullet Proof SRi

12th Dec 07 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fair enough, would a 1.9TDI be alot dearer to run on fuel then a 1.2 corsa c. also i was told you had to service a diesel every year or every 10k, is that right. and i assume a diesel service includes the same bits as a petrol service.

air, pollen, oil, fuel filters
plugs
oil
belts
Colin

12th Dec 07 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I was to buy a petrol car that was as quick on the road as my Diesel id be paying about double on fuel. Im 50 a week on Diesel.....dont fancy paying 100 quid.
mattk

12th Dec 07 at 16:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

service should be the same, apart from the absence of spark plugs

mine needs a service every 18 months or 18K
Dean_W

12th Dec 07 at 16:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bullet Proof SRi
plugs

Bullet Proof SRi

12th Dec 07 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont have a inckling about diesels

thought they used glow plugs

[Edited on 12-12-2007 by Bullet Proof SRi]
Colin

12th Dec 07 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My old mans A4 is now due its 1st service..........19,000 miles its done Sadly my golf is every 10k
mattk

12th Dec 07 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

are glowplugs included in the service?

I think you just change them when they wear
Bullet Proof SRi

12th Dec 07 at 16:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not sure, i dont know about diesels

never had a full petrol service though either, i always do the filters, oil, and plugs myself, i get the belts done at the garage.

i would just change the glow plugs every year if they are as simple and as easy to get to as spark plugs which i assume they are

[Edited on 12-12-2007 by Bullet Proof SRi]
John

12th Dec 07 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just to add to my point above, driving a petrol 1.8 primera because my car is in at skoda, somebody flew up behind me on the motroway, put my foot down a bit to move out the way, didn't move, had to drop a gear, didn't make much difference, if i was in 6th in mine and done the same i'd have pulled away, i'd choose diesel for that.
mattk

12th Dec 07 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine still pulls in 6th too

derv FTW
pow
Premium Member

12th Dec 07 at 17:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I cant wait to get to the 6th gear pulling again
Ben G

12th Dec 07 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

always thought 6th was a cruising gear and you couldn't get any real speed down whilst in that.
Nick-S

12th Dec 07 at 17:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mattk
mine still pulls in 6th too

derv FTW
here here

mine would to if it had a 6th

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » does diesel still work out alot cheaper with the ££ increase 23 database queries in 0.0143919 seconds