corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Amps in protection

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Amps in protection
Jack1.6valver

User status: Offline
5th Jan 08 at 19:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the protection light is on on both of my amps, i know it could be due to overheating etc but they've not worked for a week now! as far as i know everything is connected anybody have any ideas on whats wrong?? any help would be much appreciated

[Edited on 05-01-2008 by Jack1.6valver]
scottyp1989

5th Jan 08 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

check your earth is connected properly an clean as this will cause the amp to go into protection
Jack1.6valver

5th Jan 08 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers,am pretty sure its connected mate, will get a proper look in the light tomorrow, any other possibilities anyone?
antoni

5th Jan 08 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the protection light on my amp came on but only every now and then so i checked all my connections etc and it turned out were i had routed my power cable underneath the door trim, it had rubbed on a sharp part of the plastic and every now and then would touch the metal chassis and this was causing the amp to basicaly have a fit and cut all power to subs might be worth you checking

*edit* try using a multi meter ? ( thing that checks amount of power in certain areas long day/night :rolleyes on your outputs it will help you diagnose wether its you amp thats the problem or the speakers/subs it is powering

antoni

[Edited on 05-01-2008 by kangaroojack]
Jack1.6valver

6th Jan 08 at 01:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh i was thinking something along those lines, i think my mate tht was helpin me sed sumthing about a slit in the power cable on the drivers side trim! il find tht first and see wot happens! thought it mite have been something more serious cheers boys
andyc1234

6th Jan 08 at 02:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you have managed to fry an amp it will just be on protection mode constantly no matter what you do
Jack1.6valver

6th Jan 08 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

eeeeek wot wud have caused me to fry it ?
antoni

6th Jan 08 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pushing the amp to far, as in powering a sub or speaker that can handle more than the limit of the amp will cause it to over heat and maybe malfunction, could even be a power surge if the fuses used are not of the correct size, or the amp might be getting on a bit and packed in

i have personaly only killed on amp and that was a cheap amp i bought to tide me over untill a better one could be bought and it gave up the ghost whilst listening to the new dj zinc cd

you get what you pay for with amps

antoni
paul.mitchell1984

6th Jan 08 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iv never fried an amp an run them at full or 3/4 full power at high volumes, as said make sure its bare metal on your earth no paint etc make sure none of the cableds have oxidised (sp) ie gone a different colour to the new cable if that makes sense ie if cable is gold make sure its gold not grey black

New Poll