corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Corsa B (Phase 2) 1.2 16v Fuel consumption and fuel guage

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Corsa B (Phase 2) 1.2 16v Fuel consumption and fuel guage
jmepamplin

User status: Offline
   16th Jan 08 at 14:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey there, i was wondering ifanyone could help me out. Having recently downgraded from my 06 fiesta to a W reg Corsa (as above) I have a few questions.

Fiestly, the fuel guage, is it suposed to go up and down as i go around corners (even though im not 'raggin' it) as such? It also goes down as i accelerate and reterns to what i assume as the level while coasting/stopped?

Secondly, the fuel doesn't seem to last very long. I definatly done race about (Its a 5door ) but a full tank is only lasting say 200-230 miles with mainly short motorway distances @ 70mph max (Not that i think it could get any faster)

Thanks in advance for any help and advice guys
Ellis

16th Jan 08 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fuel gauge moves as the fuel moves around in the tank.....
jmepamplin

16th Jan 08 at 14:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah i realized this, but while going straight, on a smooth road the needle is waving at me like a slow flag. Should i get this looked at?
pow
Premium Member

16th Jan 08 at 15:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The fuel gauges on a Corsa are all over the shot

Are you letting the rev's build up at all? I used to get 400 miles to £47 (completely full tank) in my 1.2 16v

Change gear around 3-3.5k rpm to stop the engine from having a heavy work load in the bottom end of the revs, the 16vs dont get their "power" going till after then.

Also, if it won't get past 70 then theres a problem. Mine used to sit at 80 (85 if I wanted it to) all day long, never a problem.
jmepamplin

16th Jan 08 at 15:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
The fuel gauges on a Corsa are all over the shot

Are you letting the rev's build up at all? I used to get 400 miles to £47 (completely full tank) in my 1.2 16v

Change gear around 3-3.5k rpm to stop the engine from having a heavy work load in the bottom end of the revs, the 16vs dont get their "power" going till after then.

Also, if it won't get past 70 then theres a problem. Mine used to sit at 80 (85 if I wanted it to) all day long, never a problem.

Ok thanks, so i have no problem with the sea sick guage

Yeah it goes past 70, just i mean i dont and its still thirsty. Its an auto so changes on its own. Its quite annoying that if while motorway cruising, you toe it slightly it drops a rear and whacks right round to 5-6k revs

[Edited on 16-01-2008 by jmepamplin]
pow
Premium Member

16th Jan 08 at 15:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ahhh auto. only 4 gears = high revs at 70 = high petrol consumtion. 230 miles to a tank when ur doing 4krpm+ isnt uncommon

EDIT: being a 5 door auto, im stabbing in the dark its a CDX or a GLS - 80% of them come with air con, are you sure it's off?
When was the last time it was serviced?

[Edited on 16-01-2008 by pow]
jmepamplin

16th Jan 08 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Ahhh auto. only 4 gears = high revs at 70 = high petrol consumtion. 230 miles to a tank when ur doing 4krpm+ isnt uncommon

Ok mate thanks. I'll just try and get lifts from my friends as its easier and by the looks of it cheaper
pow
Premium Member

16th Jan 08 at 15:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

See the edit above - and also what revs is it doing at 70?

Make sure the sports mode isnt on?
jmepamplin

16th Jan 08 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
See the edit above - and also what revs is it doing at 70?

Make sure the sports mode isnt on?

Yeah it has A/C and it's deffo off, the switch is pushed into the dash. The car itself had done 12,300 when it was given to me and is now approaching 13k. It has a regualr service, but had been garaged for 12months untill it was given ito me.

Thanks for this mate, i know f/a about Corsa's im a Fiesta man

Edit: Sport mode and winter mode are also off

[Edited on 16-01-2008 by jmepamplin]
pow
Premium Member

16th Jan 08 at 21:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Give it a bit of death, and have it servied. Reort back
jmepamplin

16th Jan 08 at 21:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Give it a bit of death, and have it servied. Reort back

What do you mean?
Richardhhha

16th Jan 08 at 23:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rag its titts off and then give it a service, might just find that the air filter is a bit dirty and there might be a bit of carbon build up...
jmepamplin

17th Jan 08 at 00:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks, i'll getit booked in after a long motorway drive
luke85

17th Jan 08 at 06:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive seen the fuel gauge do that before, one of my mates used to do it. Literally you could gain half a tank by going round a corner. I think it was the gauge its self so Id try getting one from a scrap yard when youve got time, they would probably only want a fiver
deano87

17th Jan 08 at 09:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm just astonished about the mileage on it

I'd say it needs a good service and a good drive tbh.

Make sure things like tyre pressures are right as well, this will help slightly with fuel economy.

it doesn't have a roof rack or anything does it? This will affect economy.

[Edited on 17-01-2008 by deano87]
Haimsey
Premium Member

17th Jan 08 at 10:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine moves up and down on cornering too
As for fuel consumption my 1.2 16v managed 301 miles on 40 litres at about 280 miles of motorways speeds
Around town, ive never paid attention.

Marcy Marc

White Sport Progress Thread
pow
Premium Member

17th Jan 08 at 11:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Let the car warm up, and get your foot on the floor, let it rev up high a few times.

I try and do this at least once a journey, normally on a motorway slip road, accelerate to 50-55 in 2nd, hit the redline to get rid of some of the shit in the system.

Also, are you expeiancing any holding back or hesitiation from the car?
jmepamplin

17th Jan 08 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

[quote

Make sure things like tyre pressures are right as well, this will help slightly with fuel economy.

Well the story goes that my nan has owened the car since new with my grandad. After he did she didnt really use it anymore. So after i wrote off my Fiesta, she gave it to me while i get back on my feet. So its only over been to like 50mph, and driven easy. Everything is still like new.

And no, there is no roof rack

quote:
Originally posted by Pow
Let the car warm up, and get your foot on the floor, let it rev up high a few times.

I try and do this at least once a journey, normally on a motorway slip road, accelerate to 50-55 in 2nd, hit the redline to get rid of some of the shit in the system.

Yeah i did this last night. It responds fine, just the accelerator pedal is still (Well it seems to me as im not used to pushing on a cable throttle but an electronic one)

I shall get it booked in for a service.

The tyres and oil etc are all fine, and the fuel is new so its not the 12month old stuff in there still from when it was garaged.
jmepamplin

17th Jan 08 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jmepamplin
[quote

Well the story goes that my nan has owened the car since new with my grandad. After he did she didnt really use it anymore. So after i wrote off my Fiesta, she gave it to me while i get back on my feet. So its only over been to like 50mph, and driven easy. Everything is still like new.

And no, there is no roof rack

quote:
Originally posted by Pow

Yeah i did this last night. It responds fine, just the accelerator pedal is stiff (Well it seems to me as im not used to pushing on a cable throttle but an electronic one) Im not really sure. Should i WD40 it or something?

I shall get it booked in for a service.

The tyres and oil etc are all fine, and the fuel is new so its not the 12month old stuff in there still from when it was garaged.
pow
Premium Member

17th Jan 08 at 13:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have it serviced and run a few tanks through it, should start to see an improvement
jmepamplin

17th Jan 08 at 14:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for your help
deano87

17th Jan 08 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye, sounds like it just needs a good run out.

Good luck.

New Poll