corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Mayweather v de la hoya (rematch ) Boxing fans

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Mayweather v de la hoya (rematch ) Boxing fans
smack

User status: Offline
18th Jan 08 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mayweather Jr. vs De La Hoya

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The richest fight in boxing history is on the verge of getting a sequel.

Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Oscar De La Hoya, who shattered box office records when they met last spring, are close to finishing a deal for a rematch, Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer told ESPN.com Wednesday.

"We are still discussing things but we have almost finalized it," said Schaefer, who heads De La Hoya's promotional company. "I think an announcement will be forthcoming."

Schaefer said the fight would be Sept. 13 or Sept. 20 on HBO pay-per-view. He said the site for Mayweather-De La Hoya II has not been settled but he is holding the September dates at the 27,000-seat Home Depot Center, the outdoor home to the Los Angeles Galaxy of Major League Soccer. He said other venues are also interested, including the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

A source also told ESPN.com Wednesday night that Dodger Stadium was interested in hosting the fight after L.A. native De La Hoya suggested he'd like to fight there before retiring.

Mayweather won a split decision to take De La Hoya's junior middleweight belt when they met May 5 at the MGM Grand.

The match between boxing's No. 1 fighter, Mayweather, and its greatest attraction, De La Hoya, was a success and, ultimately, a rematch was hard to pass up.

"Floyd is agreeable to do the fight and so is Oscar," Schaefer said. "Now it's just me working through everything."

Although De La Hoya has said he planned to return to the welterweight division and Mayweather is the welterweight world champion, Schaefer said the weight for a rematch hadn't been determined. He said it could be at a catch weight somewhere between the 147-pound welterweight division and 154-pound junior middleweight class.

"It's something we are discussing," he said.

Backed by five-months of promotion, which included an 11-city cross-country tour and HBO's reality series "De La Hoya/Mayweather 24/7," the first fight broke boxing box office records including total gross ($165 million); pay-per-view subscriptions (2.4 million); pay-per-view gross ($134.4 million) and live gate ($18,419,200).

Although the fight was panned by many for a lack of action and the rematch probably won't approach the numbers of the original, it still figures to do well.

De La Hoya had planned to return to the ring May 3, but didn't have an opponent. The prospect of facing British star Ricky Hatton, his first choice, evaporated when Mayweather returned to welterweight and knocked Hatton out in the 10th round on Dec. 8.

Welterweight titleholder Miguel Cotto was a darkhorse candidate to fight De La Hoya. Cotto promoter Bob Arum acknowledged it was unlikely. He spent Wednesday in New York meeting with HBO executives about an alternative plan for Cotto, who probably will fight in April, possibly against first-season "Contender" star Alfonso Gomez.

Hatton's lopsided defeat left Mayweather as De La Hoya's most lucrative opponent. But instead of facing him on Cinco De Mayo weekend, the rematch will move to the fall because Mayweather is taking a break after a grueling 2007 inside and out of the ring.

Mayweather's fights with De La Hoya and Hatton were the biggest of the year and the promotions were exhausting. He also found mainstream recognition during his fall run on the popular reality series "Dancing with the Stars."

A rematch with De La Hoya (38-5, 30 KOs) would delay Mayweather (39-0, 25 KOs) jumping to mixed martial arts, which he has discussed with "Dancing with the Stars" pal and Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban, who also owns his own MMA promotional company.

Leonard Ellerbe, Mayweather's adviser and close friend, was unavailable for comment.

With De La Hoya moving off May 3, it is possible that his friend and Golden Boy Promotions partner Shane Mosley could fight on the date instead.

gonna be a ace fight if it does happen, mayweather to win, oscars past it imo
Conway563

18th Jan 08 at 12:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thought De La Hoya was unlucky in the first fight but he'd get destroyed this time IMO
smack

18th Jan 08 at 12:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh was a very very gd fight first one, dont think he has it in him to win now
Conway563

18th Jan 08 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also Mayweather in MMA
AdZ9

18th Jan 08 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

boxers are shit at mma imo, most mma fights end up grappling on the floor, a natural boxer would get destroyed!

plus his hands are getting more and more brittle, don't know how much more they can take!
Conway563

18th Jan 08 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IMO he wouldn't be able to stand up in MMA either as he likes to take his time and pick tactical punches. I don't know how he'd cope with 15mins of constant striking
Cosmo

18th Jan 08 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wonder if he'll be wearing his fishnets to fight in
Hammer

18th Jan 08 at 13:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't know about that, he didn't even look as if he had been in a fight against Hatton whom by all accounts packs a huge punch. His speed was also frightening as well you didn't realise how many punches he landed until the slow mo's after each round.

I'd love to see Mayweather in mma to see how he copes.
22B

18th Jan 08 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
I don't know about that, he didn't even look as if he had been in a fight against Hatton whom by all accounts packs a huge punch. His speed was also frightening as well you didn't realise how many punches he landed until the slow mo's after each round.

I'd love to see Mayweather in mma to see how he copes.

Hattons really only a power puncher at 140, at 147 he was too small for his openents and not powerfull enough to knock them out, watch his fight at 147 against luis collazo, he only just scraped through.
Hammer

18th Jan 08 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

First De La Hoya fight then, not a single mark on his face! I reckon Mayweathers legacy will be of 1 of the greatest in ring tacticians boxing has ever seen, he's that good.
corsa - gus

18th Jan 08 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I fancy de la hoya tbh, he was really unlucky in the first fight. plus will probably get good odds on him at the bookies if the fight materialises. so i'll back him.
22B

18th Jan 08 at 14:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
First De La Hoya fight then, not a single mark on his face! I reckon Mayweathers legacy will be of 1 of the greatest in ring tacticians boxing has ever seen, he's that good.

He will go down as one of the greats thats for sure, I just think theres a better fight out there than this rematch, Miguel Cotto who Floyd keeps ducking
Hammer

18th Jan 08 at 14:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hatton was considered the best chance of beating him by all the pundits due to his brawling come forward style and tbh he didn't even come close. Cotto's unbeaten but has he beat any top fighters? He's lining up a fight with Alfonso Gomez, a nobody really.
MatthewR

18th Jan 08 at 15:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
wonder if he'll be wearing his fishnets to fight in

remember that pic lol

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Mayweather v de la hoya (rematch ) Boxing fans 23 database queries in 0.0092990 seconds