corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » astra gsi

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author astra gsi
cammack

User status: Offline
21st Jan 08 at 15:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi all im looking into getiing an mk3 astra gsi.

just wondering are the old redtops ie 91-mid94 much better than the ecotech mid94 on?

i mean i know the older engine is better.... but the cars are 5 years older than the newer ones ish so which is better to go for?

cheers guys

also if any vaux techys could help with stats, data on the redtop vs eco version... ie fuel ecomony, power, insurance cat etc?

N3CRO

21st Jan 08 at 16:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would also like to know this as am looking into getting a Gsi also.
Baskey

21st Jan 08 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my mate had an ecotech gsi.

was about the same speed as my corsa 1.6 sport at the time so pritty slow (0-60 etc)

The red top ones are much quicker mate, but as you said you know this. Power is about 130 vs 150 so it really down to if yuo can afford the extra costs of running an older car. If not get the echo tech one.
ShEp

21st Jan 08 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Baskey
my mate had an ecotech gsi.

was about the same speed as my corsa 1.6 sport at the time so pritty slow (0-60 etc)

The red top ones are much quicker mate, but as you said you know this. Power is about 130 vs 150 so it really down to if yuo can afford the extra costs of running an older car. If not get the echo tech one.

rubbish

i had an astra 2.0 ecotec sport, (same engine as gsi) and it wa far far quicker than my 3corsa 1.6 sports and the gsi

granted they aint as good as redtops but they are pretty quick
Baskey

21st Jan 08 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fair doo's. I had a corsa gsi and a 1.6 sport and nether were really any slower than my mates echo tech gsi off the light. spose he did have 17's which could of slowed it slightly but there wasnt alot in it. Im not talking about timed runs. Just racing from traffic lights in my younger days.

Also if they are about 130 (iirc) and corsa are about 105 theres not going to be to much difference in power to weight. How much do the astras weigh??
Baskey

21st Jan 08 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just checked and they do have a slightly quicker 0-60 time than a corsa sport. Mabee my mate couldnt drive
cammack

21st Jan 08 at 16:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol... fair does, reckon i am gonna go for the older redtop... mored power, more fun hehe! plus insurance of 550..... that'l do nicely!

anything in particular i should look out for on these? part from rust!
ShEp

21st Jan 08 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rust (as you mentioned)
tapping engine
strut top mounts
exhausts prone to going all the time

tbh your gonna be pushed to get one without rust,

try and get one with minimal arch rust though, check the inner arches, and ger under the bodykit,/skirts have a good feel about

most redtop's are going to have had the arse thrashed off them by now aswell
cammack

21st Jan 08 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

theres a few about, and as we all know redtops are a good engine, go for quite a while.

yeah exhausts are prone, but thats superficial, can be sorted easily, its parts, ie the rust on inner wings etc. how can you check the sills?
j10E W

21st Jan 08 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hard to check the sills really as there behind the skirts, they rust bad too around the filler cap and rear arch's

i think the xe's the best engine to go for and the early gsi's look better than the later ones imo
cammack

21st Jan 08 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what are the engine codes for the early and late gsi's??
Joicey

21st Jan 08 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The phase 1 gsi has more kit but also a lot more rust as with any other early 90's vauxhall rear arches tend to rot badly, original standard phase 1's are also starting to rise in price but it is hard trying to find a decent example that isnt rotting also watch out for bodged repairs, The later phase 2 ecotec gsi is seen as nothing more than an astra sport but is newer with the last ones on a r reg i think and a lot less prone to rotting than the earlier ones.
cammack

21st Jan 08 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mm so pros and cons for both, but ill keep my eye open for a cleaner old er gsi.... what are the engine codes plzz??
Joicey

21st Jan 08 at 17:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

phase 1 - c20xe
phase2 - x20xev
R1CH

21st Jan 08 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Baskey
fair doo's. I had a corsa gsi and a 1.6 sport and nether were really any slower than my mates echo tech gsi off the light. spose he did have 17's which could of slowed it slightly but there wasnt alot in it. Im not talking about timed runs. Just racing from traffic lights in my younger days.

Also if they are about 130 (iirc) and corsa are about 105 theres not going to be to much difference in power to weight. How much do the astras weigh??

I have a mk3 Astra sport 1.8 16v, and I have a corsa gsi, the astra is a lot faster with out question
willhouse

21st Jan 08 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont forget that the Phase 2 Ecotec Astra GSi's came with Bilstein Suspension, some had air con, some had sunroofs, nicer interior than the Phase ones, plus they are not slouch, and really not much slower at all than an XE.

I had my old ecotec sport at the same time as my mates XE 5 door astra sport, and his was not much quicker at all on the bottom end.

And they are noticably better than Corsa Sports or GSi's and handle better
Rob H

21st Jan 08 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been looking at Mk 3's the last few days - The price of a tatty looking early Gsi that needs work is about double the price of a later P/R plate 2.0 3dr Ecotech Sport. I've just got my fingers crossed it'll stay that way a bit longer till I can scrape some funds together.
wilson_sri

21st Jan 08 at 19:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a phase 2 astra gsi. Cracking car and would have one again over a phase 1 anyday.
Drove brilliantly, ok the engine is a bit down on power but they are still quick cars. Few pics of mine, was in pristine condition.God knows why i sold it

Ste L

21st Jan 08 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i prefer the look of the ph1, not keen on the irmy skirt's or spoiler on the ph2

[Edited on 21-01-2008 by Ste L]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » astra gsi 22 database queries in 0.4773271 seconds