corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » x16xe compression test results

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author x16xe compression test results
gavin18787
Premium Member

User status: Offline
17th Feb 08 at 20:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Following on from this thread http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/engin...own-tests.html

And my quest to solve my oil burning mystery I conducted a compression test on my car. What do you make of the results:

Cylinder 1 dry 240 wet 270

Cylinder 2 dry 240 wet 270

Cylinder 3 dry 240 wet 250

Cylinder 4 dry 250 wet 250

Wet tests were conducted by placing 5ml of 10 - 40 oil in each cylinder and imediatly taking a test again.

Let me know what you think

Origionally was going to blame the cylinder head as its only had the problem since it was fitted. However after seeing these results im not so sure

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
Dan295

17th Feb 08 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would say slightly warped head or a slightly dodgy headgasket imo of course, im not the genius that other people are
gavin18787
Premium Member

17th Feb 08 at 21:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if its the head the readings shouldnt have gone up when oil was added though

Dan295

17th Feb 08 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what should it be?
gavin18787
Premium Member

17th Feb 08 at 21:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Theres no definate saying what they should be. Should just all be fairly equal on dry which they are.

When you add a small amount of oil that seals the rings. Therefore if the seal becomes better with oil. ie higher reading the rings maybe leaking.

As far as I understand anyway

Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

18th Feb 08 at 10:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

those results seem fine, a difference of 10-20% is normal between a wet and dry test.

done a leakdown test?
Richardhhha

18th Feb 08 at 11:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if its burning a lot of oil, easy easy test is to take the car for a nice drive, get it on a hill doing about 30 and use the engine breaking to slow you down when you get to bottom of hill boot it, (someone has to be behind you tho) and see or blue smoke! If smoker its rings. Other than that i would be looking at valve guides and valve guide oil seals!
gavin18787
Premium Member

18th Feb 08 at 12:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dave A
those results seem fine, a difference of 10-20% is normal between a wet and dry test.

done a leakdown test?

No, having trouble finding somewhere local that will do it

[Edited on 18-02-2008 by gavin18787]

gavin18787
Premium Member

18th Feb 08 at 20:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Richardhhha
if its burning a lot of oil, easy easy test is to take the car for a nice drive, get it on a hill doing about 30 and use the engine breaking to slow you down when you get to bottom of hill boot it, (someone has to be behind you tho) and see or blue smoke! If smoker its rings. Other than that i would be looking at valve guides and valve guide oil seals!

It does smoke but very little. Get a bit after about 6.5k to the 7,800 rpm limit. Its not noticable from the car but if someone follows they can make out a bit and say it smells like burning (sorry mothers description )

Does about 1 litre every 500miles so I would expect more smoke tbh

Richardhhha

18th Feb 08 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i know you can rase the rev limit on the xe engines but i would say you scorched the rings mate.. try what i said and if there is a big puff of blue then defo rings. if not i say its oil seals
luke85

18th Feb 08 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If its smoking at full throttle then Id be thinking towards the piston rings as well.

When my valve stem oil seals had gone It smoked a lot worse at part throttle than at full throttle
gavin18787
Premium Member

18th Feb 08 at 21:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Richardhhha
i know you can rase the rev limit on the xe engines but i would say you scorched the rings mate.. try what i said and if there is a big puff of blue then defo rings. if not i say its oil seals

Rev limit has only been raised recently had the problem before

Dave A

19th Feb 08 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

very difficult to diagnose this problem over the net mate, my engine (the tb'd one) uses a fair amount of oil when used hard but its a precision built engine, 0% leakage accross all 4 cylynders and new everything including head casting and pistons! I put my oil loss down to high revs and an engine that gets used hard.

have you checked your breather system?
gavin18787
Premium Member

19th Feb 08 at 10:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

havent checked the crank case one, thats on my to do list. So blow down that and air should come out the dipstick hole?

I drive sensibly to work etc during the week nothing over about 3.5k and it still uses a fair bit of oil so there is definatly a problem i think

Dave A

19th Feb 08 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes, blow down it and it should be completely free to come out of the dipstick hole.
gavin18787
Premium Member

19th Feb 08 at 15:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok I will do that and report back

New Poll