corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Does Engine Size Matter to you?

Poll: Does Engine Size Matter to you?
  Yes
  No

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Does Engine Size Matter to you?
Adam C
Premium Member

User status: Offline
12th Mar 08 at 00:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does Engine Size Matter to You?

Personally it doesn't matter to me at the moment, I don't crave more power which my friends find wierd, Im more than happy with my 1.0

Im sure as I get older and change cars I will buy cars with bigger engines but in all honesty at the moment it doesnt bother me as I never feel the need to thrash my car.

So does it matter to you?

My Arden Blue Astra GSi MK4 on BBS LM's Project Thread
DannyB
Premium Member

12th Mar 08 at 01:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was fine with driving a 1.2 until i took my mates xe nova out, then i ended up buying it
Ian
Site Administrator

12th Mar 08 at 01:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not at the moment but I'm after something quick again soon. There are times when I miss a bit of power but on the daily commute it makes far more sense to plod along not costing much.
andyc1234

12th Mar 08 at 01:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

engine size means fook all to me. its the size of the turo you strap on that matters
Eck
Premium Member

12th Mar 08 at 01:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doesn't matter how big the engine is. But how well the car performs all round
Haimsey
Premium Member

12th Mar 08 at 01:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nope, i love my 1.2 I dont want a bigger engine just yet.
I have the smallest engine out of all my mates, but doesnt bother me, i dont have a fascination with driving fast.

Marcy Marc

White Sport Progress Thread
flybikeslee

12th Mar 08 at 01:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

depends what situation your in really, at the moment my car only gets driven for fun and to get to my part time job so like something with a bit of go, dont think i could go back to the 1.2 8v unless i was commuting everyday in traffic where engine size really doesn't matter as you can't use it......
Colin

12th Mar 08 at 01:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wouldnt want anything under a 1800cc(would maybe go smaller if it packed a punch. 1.6 Turbo or something?), I feel small engined cars are unsafe when it comes to stuff like overtaking safely.
andyc1234

12th Mar 08 at 01:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its not the size of the engine. its the size of the drivers balls that counts
Colin

12th Mar 08 at 01:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I also love giving my car a good caning now & then, in a 1L, 1.2 this doesnt really happen.
flybikeslee

12th Mar 08 at 01:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
I also love giving my car a good caning now & then, in a 1L, 1.2 this doesnt really happen.

such a lie, as you have to cain it to get it anywhere
WU-TANG- DAN

12th Mar 08 at 01:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i said no.

i do like big BHP cars/engines but in the real world i dont need something with 600bhp. a VW 1.9 TD would suit me fine with all this fuel cost malarky!

I like lexus ls400's and some of them come with 4.0 engines, but to me thats not the attraction.

[Edited on 12-03-2008 by WU-TANG- DAN]
Adam C
Premium Member

12th Mar 08 at 01:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I only use my car for driving to and from work, and going out to actually do something where as alot of my mates go out just for the sake of driving and trying to 'race' people as they all have bigger engines than me, and I always see this as a time when people are most likely to drive harder and faster and can cause an accident.

I know what you mean Colin about overtaking in a 1.0, I have only done it a couple of times on a dual carrigeway and thats only because the car in front was going slower much slower than the speed limit (e.g 40 in a 60), but on single roads I won't attempt to overtake unless the road ahead was clear and the vehicle was moving very slow(like a tractor)

Andrew

12th Mar 08 at 01:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It makes sence for me to have a cheap to run motor for the miles i do. Done 150 miles today alone and racked up just under 11k in 5 months.

The cheaper to run the better! I need to do 70 MPH, if it does that it does the job.
Colin

12th Mar 08 at 01:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by flybikeslee
quote:

I dont follow.

I enjoy short bursts of speed now & then if im in the mood, can easily do XXmph to XXXmph in a matter of seconds in any of the larger engined cars ive owned. In a 1.2 this just isnt possibly, if it ever gets there it will take so long you wont get a rush out of it, probably get a rash from the stress its causing you
Adam C
Premium Member

12th Mar 08 at 01:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

I dont have to cain mine, I mean uphill is normally a struggle but I normally just rev is slightly more and keep to a lower gear so It gets up the hill, I don't thrash it up the hill but give it slightly more revs than when driving normally.

Colin

12th Mar 08 at 01:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by WU-TANG- DAN
i said no.

i do like big BHP cars/engines but in the real world i dont need something with 600bhp. a VW 1.9 TD would suit me fine with all this fuel cost malarky!

I like lexus ls400's and some of them come with 4.0 engines, but to me thats not the attraction.

A 1.9 TD is a big engine according to this tho
Colin

12th Mar 08 at 01:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Green Thing
quote:
quote:

I dont have to cain mine, I mean uphill is normally a struggle but I normally just rev is slightly more and keep to a lower gear so It gets up the hill, I don't thrash it up the hill but give it slightly more revs than when driving normally.

What I mean is there dull, dont excite me, take the thrill away from driving. Theres nothing like pottering along on an empty Mway at 70 then giving it a bit of power for a few seconds. Clears my head after a shat day at work

I can distantly remember driving an underpowered car that struggled with hills, had to drop gear. My current car is by no means fast but its a torquey diesel, it has no end of go when you want it to move, even up hills with a full car.

[Edited on 12-03-2008 by Colin]
Colin

12th Mar 08 at 01:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Engine sizes ive owned, in order:

7 of those were remotly fun to drive, 2 were absolute murder, couldnt pull back my forskin!

[Edited on 12-03-2008 by Colin]
WU-TANG- DAN

12th Mar 08 at 01:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by WU-TANG- DAN
i said no.

A 1.9 TD is a big engine according to this tho

i know its big, maybe a 1.5 would be better, i was getting at how good the economy of that engine is!
Adam C
Premium Member

12th Mar 08 at 01:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea your right there, I don't plan on ever getting a thrill out of my 1.0

The only time I ever get a thrill out of driving is when your just driving along normally such as just driving to work and someone will look at your car as you drive past, I always take it as a compliment, weather they think your car looks good or bad, I dont have a loud exhaust either! so they wont just look for the sound.

I always see people who modify there car and then thrash it around, and I just think to myself "What an Idiot"

But When I see a nicely modified car driving along normally then I would think different, and if there behind me and not right on my bumper then I would enjoy it and respect them.

Ben D

12th Mar 08 at 01:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Definetly!

I've just downgraded from a 206 GTi to a 307 1.6, And it's just tooo boring especially as i am in my car pretty much all day everyday for work, i've done over 6k in a month

I desperatly need a 1.8T of the vag form soon i feel
Ste L

12th Mar 08 at 01:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

doesn't and doesn't..

i really miss my old 2ltr nova, was more easier to drive than the 1.2 corsa, but drive this 1.2 for over a year now, don't bother me that much, just a pain when trying to over take etc etc
Adam C
Premium Member

12th Mar 08 at 01:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

I can distantly remember driving an underpowered car that struggled with hills, had to drop gear.

Same with mine now, its the only thing that makes me want a bigger engine, lucky for me that I rarely need to take more than 1 passenger, I fear the day when I have 3 passengers and come to a steap hill, 1st gear all the way

Colin

12th Mar 08 at 01:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

6k a month...wtf I thought I done 'high' mileage

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Does Engine Size Matter to you? 23 database queries in 0.0154080 seconds