corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Will this do any real damage?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Will this do any real damage?
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

User status: Offline
16th Mar 08 at 23:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got my car rolling roaded yesterday and it was running very lean over 4000 revs, the operator suggested that it was probably the AFM so this afternoon I disconnected it just to see, and it did seem to pull a lot better over 4k (the graph showed that power dropped slightly at 3800 revs then started climbing again slowly, but it was 14 bhp down on last time).

If I was to leave the AFM disconnected for a few months, would it do any real damage? I know that I can't just floor the throttle cause it nearly dies with so much air going in unexpectedly but if I was to use it for a few months, making sure that I fed the throttle on slowly, would any real damage be done?

The reason I wanna do this is because a new AFM from Vauxhall is about £250, I'm going to be putting an XE in, hopefully before Autumn but any money spent on the 1.2 would just push back the conversion and would only be used for a few months before I sold the engine.
DAZ1985

16th Mar 08 at 23:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

buy a 2nd hand one from a scrappy. its put on the car for a reason. conversion will be set back more if you have to spend on getting it right just to get work etc

assuming its a x12xe then iirc they ues the same afm as the x10xe. £20 tops from local scrappy
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

17th Mar 08 at 00:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, it's the same AFM, it's just that I've never seen either in any of the local scrappies, I've only ever seen 8v stuff and 1 x14xe. That's why I was considering leaving it.

I've also thought an ebay chip could be a cheap alternative, if I can't find an AFM, I know it's still not great, but at least that way it should be running a bit rich instead of very lean
deano87

17th Mar 08 at 08:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Like I said Mike, u2u warren.g, he often has some spare. They fit them to cars at Vauxhall to see if that is the problem with the car, if it isn't they take them off. But because they have been used for like 30mins, they can't sell them new, and he buys them off them.

So yeah, u2u warren

New Poll