corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Backing up HDD on external HDD

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Backing up HDD on external HDD
deano87

User status: Offline
18th Mar 08 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My HDD is officially on its way out. Takes ages to go through anything such as music or pictures, and makes loads of grinding noises.

So, I've got a new HDD waiting to go in, but naturally, before I put it in, I want to back up everything from 'My Documents' which is where anything personal is stored.

Most file sizes aren't too huge, but I have 20 GB's of music. Is it wise to back up a file of this size in stages, such as lettera A to C, the D to F etc? Or just copy and past music (all 20 GB's) all in one go? Could this result corrupted files and stuff?

I know I could keep both HDD's in the system and transfer that way, but I want to do it this way (and need to back everything up anyway).

Any advice would be great
_Allan_

18th Mar 08 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just do it all in one go. It will just take a bit of time. If it fooks up and gets stuck on a file then it will cancel and you can just have a look where your up to and carry one etc...

If you new hardrive is bigger or has more space than your current you could always use Norton Ghost and take an image of current setup and put it onto the new HD. Everything will be as it was.

Best to do a clean install anyway but is something to bare in mind

[Edited on 18-03-2008 by _Allan_]
pow
Premium Member

18th Mar 08 at 10:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the hard drive is on the way out, i'd do it in stages. Don't wanna put TOOO much load on to it
deano87

18th Mar 08 at 10:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers guys.

And I want a fresh start with the new HDD. I used to do a lot of gaming (MOH:AA ) and downloading that I had no idea what I was doing - so christ knows what is hidden in the deepest darkest depths of the HDD.

Right, this backing up could take some time
Deadude

18th Mar 08 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

shouldnt take too long just dont transfer multiple things at once e.g copy an album and then start copying another at the same time do it all at once

New Poll