corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » On with a new challenge ... the wife's corsa!!

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author On with a new challenge ... the wife's corsa!!
corsacdx

User status: Offline
26th Mar 08 at 07:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi all,

Now that the Nova 888 is finished (nearly) and I have some time one my hands the wife has been nagging me to sort her corsa out.

Its an N reg Corsa 1.4 16v CDX and over the last 9 years since we've owned it has been a great little car . However the paint work is now looking very tired and rust had started creeping into many nooks and crannys!

Last weekend I changed the following panels :

Driverside side front & rear door
Passenger side front door
Tailgate

All had serious rusting issues and I managed to get some replacement doors from a local scrappy in the same colour which was a bit of a bonus. Still need sparying as they have some scuffs & scrapes on them.

The Corsa is due in at the bodyshop in the morning so I have spent the weekend prepping up the shell.

Got the front bumper and wings off to find lots of scabby rust patches across the slam panel and cross member. Remarkably the chassis legs were almost like new (unlike nova's!!!)

Here's some pics of the crusty mess.

I then set about wire brushing (with a wire brush drill attachment) and grinding all the rust off. I hammerited the lower parts and crossmember which can't be seen and once rubbed down primered the bare metal.

Then it was on to the back. Now I thought I had kept the arches free of mud but between the plastic colour coded part and the back bumper must have been half a kilo of soil per side ......

The rear panel was a bit scabby in places and needed grinding and wiring again!!!

Again a liberal coating of hammerite and it will be good for a few years to come.

I am having the bumper colour coded as normal but the bits that are normally grey plastic (which fade very easily) I am having painted a dark grey (including the wheel arch trims).

Alloys wise I have a set of Ceasro 15" rims to go on. These have been acid dipped as they were in poor condition and I will have these sprayed anthricite , same colour as the wheels on the nova.

The corsa is getting 2 new wings, a new bonnet and a new spoiler for the tailgate.

Here it is ready for the sprayshop in the morning.

corsacdx

26th Mar 08 at 08:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The spray shop have been busy this week getting the corsa prepped up ready for some spray action.

The gash in the sill has been cut out and plated, the bodywork has been rubbed down and the new bonnet and wings have been fitted.

Here it is ready for a coat of primer with all the car park dings filled and smoothed out!

The wife seems happy progress is being made!

Joff
corsacdx

26th Mar 08 at 08:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The car has now been sprayed and laquered and is in the process of being rubbed down and then polished up .....

Front bumper has been sprayed - the grey part is sprayed as well , looks lighter than it is in reality due to the flash ....

Back bumper and rear colour insert has been done as well along with the rear spoiler, grab handle and arch trims :-

Should be ready to pick up tommorrow after work , the alloys may be a while as I'm awaiting a couple of tyres off ebay (you can see them in the background above)

Joff
corsacdx

26th Mar 08 at 08:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well its back from the sprayshop and now on my drive!

I need to spend some time rebuilding various bits (front bumper, rear bumper, rear hatch and spoiler) and waxoyling behind the bumpers and in the arches. Got a nice long weekend to play in the garage !!

The cesaro alloys have not been touched yet but these are getting done next week. Still await two tyres from ebay and then I can get them fitted and put on .

Should be sorted in a couple of weeks.

Joff
corsacdx

26th Mar 08 at 08:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Update on todays work putting the corsa back together.

Firstly I got the two clusters out as I wanted to waxoyl in the inner wings and I am glad (in a way) that I did !!!

Found round the filler neck area that there was a large crusty patch of rust which was letting water from the wheel arch into the inner wing and causing more rust!!!

After lots of poking, grinding, rust treatment, hammerite and waxoyl I think I have the measure of it - it won't be leaking again !!!

Also found some of the wheel well drain holes had rotted so I cut these out and as they were quite near the petrol tank I fibreglassed the holes up and then hammerited which should give a good permanent fix as long as nobody tries to jack the back end on the wheel well !!!! ( I don;t and would expect anyone else too!!!

Splashed waxoyl over the rear panel and put the bumper back on and both arch trims and waxoyled in the arches to prevent any further rusting!!

Rebult the tailgate - got the grab handle colour coded whilst at the spray shop. Also attached the rear spoiler using some sikoflex (not good at coming off your hands!!) and held in place with a polystyrene tube and maskin tape whilst it bonded...

Also got the tint spray out on the rear clusters as I thought the indicator and reverse parts were a bit on the bright side ....

And here's a pic of one of the rear arches all sorted , even got some hammerite on the rear drum !!!

Will be working on the front tomorrow - hopefully no suprises here !

Joff
corsacdx

26th Mar 08 at 08:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Righty-o ,

Started on the front end this morning - stripped the headlamps and bonnet off as I needed to put the lower grille in and needs to waxoyl behind the headlamps ....

Got all the bumper built up and put in the headlamps with the HID's now fully working on a H4 hi/low kit (very bright!) and the slatted style grille (don't like the V grilles any more!) ....

I started to tidy up the arches ready for waxoyling - the passenger side wasn't bad - just a few scabs of rust which wire brushed off and I then treated with rust eater and then hammerited .

However the driverside was a different story , here's what I found .....

Basically on at the bottom of the chassis leg a large bulge of rust had appeared - on digging out the rust most of the chassis leg disintergrated and on further investigation this went all the way round the leg to where it meets the floorpan - here;s a better pic.....

Well , out with the grinder - cut out all the bad metal - got some sheet metal cut to size and welded in a new plate ......

I then rust treated and hammerited all the other areas and then gave both arches a waxoyling to stop this happening again for quite a while!

Put it all back together and that was it for the day .......

Will need to put the arch liners in once the waxoyl has hardened off a bit and also need to put the 4 door cards on and give the whole interior a valet (as its covered in dust) and the exterior paintwork needs a good polish!

I'm off for a week from this Saturday coming so will have some time to sort it then!

Joff
expire

26th Mar 08 at 09:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

welcome to corsasport joff
pow
Premium Member

26th Mar 08 at 10:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My Mum had a GLS TD in that colour, on an M plate,

Car is looking guurddd!
All Torque

26th Mar 08 at 11:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Alright Joff Car looks ace.

Do I spy a classic car under wraps in the bodyshop?
lil_g

26th Mar 08 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Car looks much better

Tigra wheels look so on Corsa's IMO
John G

26th Mar 08 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pics off nova 888????
AdZ9

26th Mar 08 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the arches etc that have been sprayed grey just look like they are faded
Fear

26th Mar 08 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

personally would have chosen a darker grey aswell, but it still looks good as is, what colour are the wheels going to be?

And pics of the nova 888?
Edd

26th Mar 08 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

would have colour coded the trim

but still good work
little_duke

26th Mar 08 at 14:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id love a cdx rear
Jules

26th Mar 08 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nova 888 was in TV a couple of months ago
The blue one - Joff as the owner.....

Hello Joff btw - long time no see!
Hope all is well with you
corsacdx

26th Mar 08 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Managed to get hold of some of the photoshoot pics that didn't appear in TV - stunning is all I can say ......

Cheers

Joff
Simon_16v

26th Mar 08 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Corsa dash in a nova
corsacdx

26th Mar 08 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by All Torque
Alright Joff Car looks ace.

Do I spy a classic car under wraps in the bodyshop?

Yes- its an old Volvo coupe of some description - like Simon Templar aka The Saint used to boule around in!

Joff
corsacdx

26th Mar 08 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fear
personally would have chosen a darker grey aswell, but it still looks good as is, what colour are the wheels going to be?

And pics of the nova 888?

Wheels are the GM Cesaro alloys with centre caps - colour is the same as the Nova 888 - a GM Anthricite colour.

Joff
corsacdx

20th Apr 08 at 09:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Picked up the wheels today .... well three of them ..... one of my tyres had a small hole in the tyre wall so will need a replacement tyre .... so will sort this next week.

Here are the 3 ready to go on .....

Bit of a trade mark this .... same colour as the alloys on the Nova !

Should be on the corsa next weekend.

Joff
corsa-ed

20th Apr 08 at 11:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

andy archer and austin from brid car care did alot of work for you with the nova didnt they, i live just down the road from there lol
corsacdx

20th Apr 08 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa-ed
andy archer and austin from brid car care did alot of work for you with the nova didnt they, i live just down the road from there lol

Yep they did, the nova was sprayed in 2005 and it was with them about 7 weeks in total.

Work was spot on and was happy with the results.

Joff
davey_jack

20th Apr 08 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pretty cool! should have got the door handles done along with the rest of the paintwork!
davey_jack

20th Apr 08 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh and a mantzel would be a nice touch

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » On with a new challenge ... the wife's corsa!! 23 database queries in 0.0174479 seconds