corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Photos for Dementia project

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Photos for Dementia project
JonnyJ

User status: Offline
6th Apr 08 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thought i'd make a separate thread because im a whore and snap day needs more posts anyway

Project was to do 6 photos to in some way show effects of dementia. What i've tried to do with the photos is to create a mood of loneliness and frustration. Not sure if they give that effect but ill let you be the judge of that

Shot 4 of them using the good ol' 50mm and 2 using the 18-70 lens. Subjects were my Nana and Grandad at their house. Lighting came from one off camera SB-800 Flash. Shot using a D300

Feel free to ask questions, critique or whatever.

[Edited on 06-04-2008 by JonnyJ]
John

6th Apr 08 at 22:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think the colouring goes quite a bit towards your aim.

Normally i'd say they looked quite washed out but it fits the brief here.

Looks like the setting you'd get on one of they crappy governemt adverts for wife beating.

(The above may be lies if they only look washed out because i'm on a crappy laptop monitor)
JonnyJ

6th Apr 08 at 22:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive made them very desaturated on purpose John, only one is fully B&W rest is toned down to give a muted feel. Well thats what i thought anyway

Didn't want to make them all colourful and bright as i didn't feel it would suit the mood as dementia isn't really a bright and happy thing to have
John

6th Apr 08 at 22:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Definitely suits the aim you were trying to achieve then imo.
pow
Premium Member

6th Apr 08 at 22:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They are very goodm you have some proper tallent boy
JonnyJ

6th Apr 08 at 22:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks John and pow

Essex comment still stands though
Hoddo

6th Apr 08 at 22:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sussed. I think you've forfilled the criteria quite well on this one. how much for a 50mm lense?
JonnyJ

6th Apr 08 at 22:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stupidly cheap Dan. £80 i think. Not sure what Canon's version is like but probably equally as good
Hoddo

7th Apr 08 at 00:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JonnyJ
Stupidly cheap Dan. £80 i think. Not sure what Canon's version is like but probably equally as good

this one?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Canon-EF-50mm-f-1-8-II-for-EOS-Also-BG-E3-camera-GRIP_W0QQitemZ250234117066QQihZ015QQcategoryZ4687QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

not sure what im looking for but fancy a go after seeing your results
JonnyJ

7th Apr 08 at 00:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah that looks similar. 50mm 1.8 is what i have.

Tbf for the price i don't see why you shouldn't have it in your set. I've seen your model shots with your fiancee and this lens would lend itself perfectly to that type of thing.
AndyKent

7th Apr 08 at 09:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The 50mm f1.8 on Amazon is just £60 brand new - I'd not be buying off ebay at that price. Bargain

Look ace - capture the idea well. I would say that every shot involves them having their head in their hands though....
A1EX

7th Apr 08 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im still after a 50mm just undecided on 1.4 and 1.8 the price difference is quite big though

edit, shots all look good, just all too similar with the hands on the heads, maybe try for some different poses? still look top though

[Edited on 07-04-2008 by A1EX]
JonnyJ

7th Apr 08 at 14:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I couldn't justify the 1.4 tbh. The price difference is something like 4 times more expensive and for what a few more f stops. I have barely gone down to 1.8 anyway. DOF is too small for portraiture stuff. Think 2.2 is the lowest ive used.
Hoddo

7th Apr 08 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JonnyJ
Yeah that looks similar. 50mm 1.8 is what i have.

Tbf for the price i don't see why you shouldn't have it in your set. I've seen your model shots with your fiancee and this lens would lend itself perfectly to that type of thing.

I did another thing wrong on them shots. I was shooting at a 100 ISO, I should of jumped it up to 200/300, I totally forgot and was having one second exposures. meaning she was moving and making them blur.

Im a muppet I know, but you live and learn. Just bought a new camera bag mind, a Lowepro 100, looks a nice piece of kit. Definately better than some crappy satchell bag that you have to fiddle with all the time. Looks less inconspiciuious.
Lawrah
Premium Member

7th Apr 08 at 15:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Great photos, very deep and meaningfull
JonnyJ

7th Apr 08 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lowepro and Tamrac are good bags. I have a tamrac one which just about holds everything but its a tight squeeze!

Aye, i very rarely go down to iso 100 for the reason that there is almost no visible difference in noise from 200. I did think the 1 sec exposure was a bit long

Cheers Lawrah

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Photos for Dementia project 23 database queries in 0.0165780 seconds